Visitor
KenChevy

Constant Guard problems with un-installing it

Win7 64bit I7-950 3.07Ghz 12GB RAM

I guess I messed up.  I installed CG yesterday 05/21/11.  Went to log onto my bank and CG popped up stating it was a bad site and I just hit ENTER without really reading what the window was telling me.

Then this pops on the screen: It works!   and every time I try to log into my bank now, I get the same  It works!.

I NEED to be able to log into my bank!  So, I clicked on my bank in CG and it opened a small window in Firefox.

NOT acceptable.  So, I then went into the Control Panel and un-installed CG.  It told me to re-boot... I did.

It STILL tells me It works! when I try to log into my bank.  

So I ran RESTORE for TWO days before.   Re-booted TWICE.  It STILL says  It works!  when I try to log into my bank.  

Un-install does NOT clear some file that is causing this.

How do I get rid of that problem?  Get ALL of CG off my system?

Help please.

Ken 052211 1255

Visitor
keithhensley2

Re: Constant Guard problems with un-installing it

[ Edited ]

ok

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ keithhensley2

This is what the CGSS FAQ's say abotu ninstalling:

How do I uninstall Constant Guard Protection Suite software?

To uninstall Constant Guard™ Protection Suite software follow these steps:

1. Click on Start (Windows XP) or the Windows flag (Windows Vista/7) in the lower left corner of the computer screen.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. Click Add or Remove Software (XP), or Programs and Features (Vista/Windows 7).
  4. In the Programs list, find the Constant Guard Protection Suite software, highlight it and click to Uninstall.
  5. If you plan to re-install your Constant Guard Protection Suite, select Yes when you see the screen that says "Save secure password file?" If you don't plan to re-install your Constant Guard Protection Suite, click No.
  6. An optional Uninstall Survey will open.
  7. Restart your computer - shutting down and restarting the computer finishes the removal process.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Problem Solver
DoubleG

Download  Revo uninstaller it's designed to find and delete those hard to remove files left behind after using windows add / remove program. It's free to use. On Revo web site download the free version.

Click here to get download

New Visitor
mryan222

Installed Constant Guard 2 days ago and had the same problem--super super super slow.  Internet unresponsive.  I uninstalled the program this morning and the internet is back to normal! 

Regular Contributor

The problem with the ConstantGuard uninstall is that it doesn't have one.

For Comcast to make you go through Add/Remove Programs, without  engineering an uninstall is really poor.

Just a little "Uninstall " option on the start menu... why did they have to rush it out?

And this is the thing they're promoting - you're assaulted with it if you go anywhere near the Security pages.

I spent the early part of this week hassling with this thing after Norton developed a problem - it doesn't work, Keeps complaining about an unregistered .dll or some such.

Be aware - you can still install Norton standalone, you don't have to have this bloated crapware forced on you.

xfinite problems

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

As mentioned above, Revo Uninstaller will remove Constant Guard if no Add/Remove Programs entry is present, or it fails to work.

It's a thirty day free trial. You can download it from here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

The Comcast/Norton Security Suite can be downloaded from here:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Visitor
KenChevy

Thank you, everyone.  I finally re-installed it and un-installed it once more and it got rid of all of it the second time.

A REALLY lame excuse for software Comcast tried to pawn off on us.  I finally just re-installed the Norton part of it and things are okay again. Always in a big rush to get software out to people so they can have MANY guinea pigs to tell them the bugs in it.

Again, thank you for all the ideas on what to do from those of you who posted, it is appreciated.

Contributor

I can't unstall it either.  I've tried to unistall from the program options and from the control panel.  I am so frustrated!  I can't even download it back on to my computer with out problems.

I downloaded it on my daughter's Windows 7 laptop and I got the blue screen of death three times!  I fought and fought to get rid of it and I was able to and it returned to the previous version of Norton.  It is fine now.

My computer sits with no security software right now because all I tried to do was get rid of it and restore the previous version which did not happen when I did a system restore to three different points.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US!!!  Thank you!

Contributor

How did you get the previous stand alone version of Norton from Comcast/Xfinity???  Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Go here for Norton 5.0 on it's own:

Then when it's installed, run liveupdate and reboot to update to 5.1

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Paraniod wrote:

Go here for Norton 5.0 on it's own:

Then when it's installed, run liveupdate and reboot to update to 5.1

Paraniod, if I may, permit me to clarify your last statement about running Liveupdate.  The comment sounds like it only takes a single run of LiveUpdate and a reboot to obtain 5.1, when in fact the definitions have to be updated also from May 15th when version 5.0 was originally loaded on Comcast.  The Norton NSS FAQ explains the procedure this way:

"Once installation is complete, open NSS and manually Run LiveUpdate (located on drop-down under PC Security on left side of main page of NSS) as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates available". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates available" and then reboot one last time.  Your installation should now be up to date definition wise and ready for use."

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Thanks E-8,  guess I did over simplify that.:smileywink:

Contributor

Thanks!  I'll give it a go!

Contributor

Okay I'm trying but yesterday I couldn't get past the "initializing" phase.  It stopped responding then.  So, I'm trying now and I'm still "initializing."  We'll see what happens.

Contributor

Now it says it's preparing to uninstall.  Good Lord!  This is what it did yesterday.  I'll try and let it finish whatever it's doing and start reinstall again.  Anybody have similar issues?  Thanks!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud
Official Employee

Hi - are you stll having issues? If so - please message me and I can have our support group contact you to assist with the uninstall. thx.
Contributor

I'm so sorry I forgot to respond.  Everything is working now, thank you very much.  I used the link in the thread and everything is great!

I don't know if I have Constant Guard or not, I'm thinking not, but I do seem to have an updated version of Norton Security Suite.  The icon is different and it came with a gadget, but now the gadget actually has short cuts on it instead of being blank as it did before.  I did just shut the gadget off because it was redundant.

Thanks so much everyone!!!  I'm so pleased with this thread!!!   :smileyhappy:

Contributor
jameslwi

I ran Revo Uninstaller and it made the problem even worse but it was pretty bad already.   I found it difficult  to get he system up even in 'SAFE MODE'.   All my System Restore points got wiped out somewhere along the way but I was able to create one just prior to uninstalling Constant Guard.  My salvation came when at some point in SAFE MODE I did a restore to the one Restore point which by the way restored some of Constant Guard.   Then in SAFE MODE, I ran Revo Uninstaller once again to remove Constant Guard and

this time I successfully recovered my system.

I've learned my lession!   I will be the last person to install recommended updates in the future..

Contributor

I second that!!!

Visitor

I must have tried the ADD/DELETE PROGRAMS in Control Panel a dozen times and still could not remove Constant Guard.

Finally, this morning, after the initial booting of the PC, this uninstall method worked.

It took patience on my part, but it should not have been this difficult.

I then installed Norton Security Suite from Comcast.  I found NSS in the FAQ section under SECURITY once I signed into Comcast.net.

NSS complained during the install that it was incompatible with Spyware Doctor which was already installed on my laptop, but that is just a lie on their part to grab market share.  NSS and Spyware Doctor always played nicely together on all of my computers.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

As programs evolve, they often become incompatible with other programs. Just because Norton Security Suite and Spyware Doctor played nicely together in the past, does not mean they always will. Keep the NSS warning in mind and watch for any unual behavior.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

New Visitor

Any info about getting the passwords back out of this program? During the install it took all the passwords for my blogs and stuff out of firefox, and now they do not work on the sites I need them to. I do not see anything in the uninstall instructions that talk about exporting the passwords back to firefox or getting them out. If I uninstall with those instructions, can I assume they will just be gone forever?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

djsteve wrote:

Any info about getting the passwords back out of this program? During the install it took all the passwords for my blogs and stuff out of firefox, and now they do not work on the sites I need them to. I do not see anything in the uninstall instructions that talk about exporting the passwords back to firefox or getting them out. If I uninstall with those instructions, can I assume they will just be gone forever?

Follow the instructions at the link below to export the data stored in Norton Identity Safe:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Export-Import-NSS-Identity-Safe-Data/m-p...

Mark Twain

New Visitor
jerryglen

Thank you. This worked for me - it got rid of Comcast's constant guard software. I had earlier un-installed the Norton Security Suite, so I hope my PC is back to normal now. I re-installed the previous Norton Virus 2010 which I had been happily using and which had been saved by Norton Security Suite when I originally installed it. Thank heavens for that! So now I hope I'm back to where I was before I foolishly decided to install Comcast's recommendation, which brought my system to a crawl!

Contributor

I can't get rid of Constant Guard - it's not in the control panel list of programs

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

The best suggestion I have is to re-install then remove again, but with one small change.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller before reinstalling CGPS, Then use Revo to remove it completely.

You find Revo here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Note: It's free for 30 days.

Mark Twain

Contributor
blackjeeep

I am having the same problem. I downloaded it on the advice of someone against my better wishes. Slowed my PC down bigtime. Unfortunately I cant uninstall. I go through the control panel and uninstall and it just hangs. I tried Revo and it just hangs. I am beyond frustrated. I need help:smileysad:

Contributor
jameslwi

See my post on 06/09/11.   I had the same problem but was successful running Revo Uninstaller in Safe Mode.

Contributor
blackjeeep

I tried that. For some reason when I tried I couldnt do any uninstalls in safe mode. This Constant Guard has wrecked havoc with my PC.

Thanks for the reply

Contributor
jameslwi

Perhaps you should  try a System Restore to an earlier checkpoint prior to running Revo in Safe Mode?

Contributor
blackjeeep

Tried, cant do that either anymore. I did a sys restore earlier in the day before I installaed it. Tried it after and no dice. It has been beyond frustrating.

Visitor
keithhensley2

problem fixed

Contributor
blackjeeep

How?

Visitor
keithhensley2

problem solved

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

blackjeeep wrote:

Tried, cant do that either anymore. I did a sys restore earlier in the day before I installaed it. Tried it after and no dice. It has been beyond frustrating.

@ blackjeep,

Is Norton still installed?  If so you must disable Tamper Protection to run a System Restore.  From the main Norton page, Settings> Adminiistrative Settings > scroll down to Norton Product Tamper Protection ( under product Security heading) and turn tampr protectionoff.  You will then be able to attempt a system restore without Norton blocking it.

Also FWIW, keithhensley's 3 posts in two different threads consist of a total of 5 words: OK, problem fixed and probem solved. 

Contributor
blackjeeep

Ah now that makes sense. Thanks so much. Ill try that as soon as I get home. That may allow me to uninstall in safe mode as well.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

blackjeeep wrote:

Ah now that makes sense. Thanks so much. Ill try that as soon as I get home. That may allow me to uninstall in safe mode as well.

I have never heard of tamper protection stopping the uninstall of CGPS - however if you get the system restore working it may permit you to uninstall CG. 

Contributor
blackjeeep

THANK YOU SO MUCH! The Norton trick did it. I turned that off, went into safe mode, and Revo uninstalled it with no problem. Thanks again. The PC is back to normal!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Glad you got it sorted!

New Visitor
Johnnie39

I need to un-install constant gaurd.  it is causing problems.. Help.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Johnnie39 wrote:

I need to un-install constant gaurd.  it is causing problems.. Help.

See message #3 in this thread for starters.

New Visitor
kosarchuk

I'm following this thread regarding uninstalling Constant Guard Suite. I've tried everything that's been posted without success.

Comcast/xFinity better come up with a solution and fast. This is preposterous. I'm thinking class action lawsuit on behalf of all the people that have had issues with this "junk" ware.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

kosarchuk wrote:

I'm following this thread regarding uninstalling Constant Guard Suite. I've tried everything that's been posted without success.

Comcast/xFinity better come up with a solution and fast. This is preposterous. I'm thinking class action lawsuit on behalf of all the people that have had issues with this "junk" ware.

See if this uninstaller LPP found works:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

New Visitor
kosarchuk

Thank you for the suggestion. After some struggling I managed to uninstall with the uninstall program mentioned elsewhere (above) in this thread.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

kosarchuk wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. After some struggling I managed to uninstall with the uninstall program mentioned elsewhere (above) in this thread.

The bottom line is that we are glad you got it sorted!

New Visitor
gamcarolyn11

how i uninsall constant guard i have too many anti-virus programs and my e=mail was still getting hi-jacked

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

gamcarolyn11 wrote:

how i uninsall constant guard i have too many anti-virus programs and my e=mail was still getting hi-jacked

Use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Constant Guard. Note that this will not remove Norton.

Mark Twain

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello - Constant Guard Protection Suite isn't an anti-virus program, but it includes an installer for Norton Security Suite which IS an anti-virus program. You can install Constant Guard Security Suite and NOT activate the Norton product. However, if you do remove CGPS using the add/remove programs (XP) or the Programs/Features control panel (Vista/7), you must RESTART to complete the removal. If you have already activated Norton, you will then need to remove it separately.