Contributor
Moonshooter7

Constant Guard won't open...

I've spent over 5 hours with McAfee and over 120 dollars trying to get virus protection...but it won't open and I was told it was due to Norton hidden somewhere on my computer.

Next I tried to install Constant Guard which makes more sense, but when I download the file, it too won't open.  I'm a 75 year old and am not sure what is going on.  I don't have the money to spend extra, but I want to be protected.  I need a phone # or some guidance.  Thanks,

John

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Constant Guard won't open...

Hi John,

In order to get the hidden Norton off the system,  I assume you uninstalled it via normal uninstall from the Control Panel.  You need to run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of the rest of it, so you can install another AV program without the left over Norton conflicting.

If you spent $120 and they did not clean up your system or produce the results you expected - I' d ask for my money back.  Getting rid of Norton is not all that tough and McAfee techs should know how to do it.

Any other questions you have, feel free to ask, and we'll help as best we can.  the more details about what has already happened - the better chance we haveof asssiting you - free of charge!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
Moonshooter7

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  When McAfee was attempting to install their program, I noticed a message that said something to the effect that there were two programs that needed to be uninstalled first.  Then the prompt came up either YES or NO.  The girl chose to leave them there.  When I went back to that part I couldn't get it to uninstall.  Then another girl at McAfee told me that I would have to contact Norton to do that, that they were unable to.  Duh. 

I've tried doing what you suggested but it doesn't seem to open either.  So I'm at a loss as to what to do next. 

John

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Do you or did you have Norton Security Suite (from Comcast) installed on your system?

If so, please go to ControlPanel > Programs & Features (Vista or Win 7) or Add/Rem,ove Programs (XP) and uninstall everything that starts with Norton.  After you do that or if there are no Norton listings,  please try to follwow the instructions above again - but of course without installing the Norton Program.

Do you currently have McAfee installed?  If so that may be causing you problems as well.

Please tell us what you have installed (showing up int he Control Panel) and also what your operating system is ( XP,  Vista, Win 7,  or Win 8).

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
Moonshooter7

I have Vista.  And I don't believe I have Norton installed by Comcast.  Something I forgot to mention is that they had control of my computer via long distance and went through everything that way.

As I said, I'm a self-taught senior so I don't understand all of what you mean.  I can do the basics but beyond that, I'm lost.  There's a McAfee thing showing up on my shortcuts...but that wouldn't open either.  The girl tried sending her copy and opening it here, but that didn't work.

I've tried doing what I've been instructed, but the downloads won't open.

John

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Morning John,

Please have a look at this Norton Security Suite FAQ .  I am going to assume you do not have Norton installed, but do have left over McAfee on your system - so please follow those instructions as if you had McAfee still installed.  If McAfee does not appear in Control Panel > Programs & Fetaures for the uninstall - go ahead and try to get the McAfee Removal Tool downloaded and run anyway.

In regards to the downloads - can you download what you try to download?  Or is it that you can download it and then it will not open with a double click, or a right click and select Open?

Let us know how fasr you get with the NSS FAQ instructions.

Contributor
Moonshooter7

I  removed 2 McAfee's from 'Programs and Features'...although it said they were already uninstalled and the name was just left.

No matter what I try, I can't get Windows Firewall to open.  All I get is an error message that says I can't access it.

And I can download things...including things from the recommended list in FAQ, but once they are downloaded, I can't get them to open.  The download screen shows up momentarily in the lower left hand corner.

John

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Moonshooter7 wrote:

I  removed 2 McAfee's from 'Programs and Features'...although it said they were already uninstalled and the name was just left.

So you could download the McAfee Removal Tool - but you could not run it.  Can you right click on the download and select Run as administrator. 

No matter what I try, I can't get Windows Firewall to open.  All I get is an error message that says I can't access it.

Does it give you a reason you can not access it?  Are you using an account with administrative privledges? 

And I can download things...including things from the recommended list in FAQ, but once they are downloaded, I can't get them to open.  The download screen shows up momentarily in the lower left hand corner.

John

Go back to Programs & Features and see if there is a Norton Security Suite listed.  If theeis an NSS installed - it would have shut off the Windows Firewall and would be managing it.

Contributor
Moonshooter7

When the program is downloaded, it doesn't give the option to 'run as adminstrator'.

Windows Firewall tells me that it's not running.

The error message says 'Due to unidentified problems, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings.  I hope this will help.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Are you using an account with admin priveledges?  Here is some info on User accounts

Is NSS listed in Programs and Features?

Are you saving the programs you download to a folder/file?

Contributor
Moonshooter7

I'm the only one that uses this laptop, so I imagine when I set it up I used just me as the administrator.

NSS is NOT listed in the 'programs and features'.

And I think in the past, the option has popped up as to which file/folder to save it to when I click 'save".

I can't seem to get beyond 'save file'...even if I double left click or right click.   It won't open.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Let's try a diffrent approach John,

Click on the following link and when it appears at the bottom of the page, left click on RUN - let us know what you get.

http://www.norton.com/nss

Contributor
Moonshooter7

I get the same thing.  It goes on a 'download page'.   Left clicking produces no results.

Right clicking gives me 5 options.

'Remove from History'

'Open containing folder'...(that doesn't happen when I choose that)

'Go to Download Page'..(that brings me back to our correspondance and what you said to do)

'Copy Download Link'...(but it doesn't say what to copy it to)

'Clear Downloads'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Although this image is for a different topic, do you get something similar to the following when you click on the link I last provided for the downlaod?  I am referring to the block at the bottom of the page.

download trial.PNG

Contributor
Moonshooter7

No.  All I get is a small Downloads Complete with 'all your files have been downloaded at the bottome right.  That disappears in a matter of seconds so I have to be fast to click on it.

And I've looked in my Downloads and there is nothing there so I'm not sure where it's going.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi John,

I just tried doing this in FireFox rather than the Internet Explorer browser I am using.  I found the area with the 5 choices you are referring to. 

What version of Firefox are you using?  On the Menu Bar in FF, please select Help and then About Firefox.  It will have a number right under Firefox - someting like 20, 21, 22 - what is the number your are using?

I can open Firefox, Select Tools from the Menu Bar and then Downloads.  I can see Comcast NSS 20.3.1.exe  listed and selected  (left click to select it if it is not highlighted in blue.  I can select Open Containing Folder and another folder will open and the downlaod will be highlighted in blue.  I can then right click on that and select run as adinistrator.

Please try what I outlined and se how far you can get.

Contributor
Moonshooter7

I have version 22.

I'm not sure where to find the Menu bar that has 'tools' list on it.  I do see 'downloads' and 'Open containing folder' on that same screen that I was talking about.  Nothing happens when I hit 'Open, etc...'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

In FF 22, in the blank area above the space that lists the URL (red X in image) , right click it and you should see a list of toolbars etc.  Place a check mark in front of Menu Bar (blue arrow in image) and the Menu Bar (black arrow in image) should show up  - providing you with the Tools option.

FF Menu bar.PNG

Keep us posted.

Contributor
Moonshooter7

I have a Comcast Toolbar and the only way I could see FF was to left click on the upper left corner but after restarting my computer I don't see that anymore.  I would have no problem following your directions...if I could find the right thing to click on.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I have asked another Security Expert  to assist as he is much more knowledegable than I am with Firefox. 

Not sure when he will see my request - so please hang in there.  Sorry I have to ask for outside assistance, but I'd rather ask for help than mess you up any more.

Contributor
Moonshooter7

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  And I'm thankful for all the effort you put into helping me thus far.

John

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi John,

I have heard back, and been told I am suggesting things correctly in regards to FF, Tools > Downloads, then Open Containing Folders and then right click of the highligted download and the selection of "Run as Administrator".    I am also correct in telling you how to obtain the Menu Bar so

please go back over the instructions and try to follow them again.

Also, I rerad the netire thread and noticed you said you have  "Comcast Toolbar".  There is no need for that toolbar and has caused problems in the past.  Please go to Programs & Features in the control Panel and uninstall it (if there is an entry for it), if not follow the instructions in this FAQ to remove it even though you are not getting the error.

You mnetioned you spent $120 - was this for a repair/assistance from McAfee?  If so I would go back to them, tell them what happened with the remote assistance and that you need help setting things right since you paid for it and thigns are not correct yet.  Perhpas if nothing else a refund?

If none of this works, we think you may have a corrupt registry, which would mean you need to format and reinstall your operating system.  I would suggest you go to a reputable repair shop or a friend who knows what they are doing in this area.  

Contributor
Moonshooter7

Thank you, my friend for trying.  I've tried everything you suggested but it's still not working.

I just looked it up and I spent 126.19 at Mc Afee.  89.95 was for virus removal and the rest for the McAfee software.  At this point I'm tired and my best solution is...to give up.

Before I tried Constant Guard, I talked to them at McAfee.  There suggestion was to go up to the next level and pay another 89.95 to have the higher ups take care of it or go to Norton and have them remove the remnants that 'it' says is keeping this from opening.  But I'm a senior with a champagn appetite and a beer pocketbook and if it costs money, it ain't gonna happen.

But thanks again for trying,        

John

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi John,

Here are a few links with information regarding McAfee refunds - perhaps it can help you get some of your money back:

http://store.digitalriver.com/store?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_GB&S...

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=CS40107&lc=1033

Please let us know how you make out.