New Visitor
Dowj15k

Constant Guard

I've now uninstalled and re-installed "Constant Guard" four times, as well as doing the same, twice, with Norton AV. When I access Constant Guard the only internets that will open using this system are my financial sites. I am not able to add to or open and save by using the "Add Other Account."  When I first dowloaded Constant Guard, I was able to add other accounts and open them using Constant Guard. When I open CG (Constant Guard......getting sick of it and sick of typing it) the box that pops up with all the features, is partially blank, or white, and some of the information is invisible, e.g. Credit Card and Options buttoms next to HOME. If I put move my pointer over them they appear but dissapear once I move my pointer off of them. I get this same quirky reaction when the PIN box pops up to promt me to enter my pin. None of the numbers are visible on they keypad, so I have to act like Stevie Wonder and feel for them, i.e., guess their location. I have my "auto fill" activated so I do not have to constantly type my password in every single site I visit, and there are many, but it does not work, probably due to Constat Guard taking over. I've just switched to Comcast Infinity from AT&T, and it has only been 3 days now. I am very close to switching back to AT&T. No one can provide me with any sensible assistancem, and they keep passing the buck. I don't like that I have to search for my myriad list of passwords or type them in each time I log into a website that requires one. Escpecially since I am supposed to have a nifty feature that protects my passwords and logs in to these sites for me. I'm giving it another few days and if no one can or wants to take the time to trouble shoot my problem, I'm going back to AT&T.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: Constant Guard

The problem is the Constant Guard Protection Suite. Use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall CGPS. Note that this will not remove Comcast/Norton Security Suite.

Sadly, CGPS is not quite ready for prime time. I class it as garbageware and would not consider installing it on any computer I own.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud
Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Re: Constant Guard and Norton

The problem is not Constant Guard Protection Suite.

The message you are getting regarding Constant Guard not able to find your bank is very likely the message that the Trusted Network cannot be found - which points to the database update service being blocked on your computer. If that is the case, then there is a firewall issue here, or it is possible that your computer system clock is out of synch with the Microsoft server time. If you go to http://cgps.idvault.com/support you will find a "clock fix" posted at that location.

The fact that you can open a financial site and not an "other site," points to your browser. Financial Sites open in the Constant Guard secure browser called Secure View. If you can open a financial site - then we are doing our job, and your financial sites are being protected by our Secure View secure browser. If you cannot open a shopping or "other" site, then the link from the Constant Guard software to your browser is broken - isn't enabled - OR you are using an unsupported browser. If you are using Internet Explorer 7 or later - go to your IE tools menu to Manage Add-Ons and make sure that the Constant Guard Protectio Suite Browser Helper Object is listed there AND is enabled. If it is not listed, then again, we were blocked at installation. If it is listed and not enabled, enabled it, and close all of your browser windows. For Firefox 3.6 or later - go to Tools to add-ons, and do the same. For Google Chrome version 15 or later, to to Tools to Extensions and make sure the extension is present and enabled.

The reason we don't show you what your PIN numbers when you enter them is so that no one else can see your PIN. This is done to protect your security. If you have ANY other screen/display issues - which have to do with presentation - such as the windows do not look or act right - this points to OS issues with your WPF - Windows Presentation Foundation. If it ONLY happens in a particular application, then there was an issue with the installation of that application, or parts of the application are being blocked or there is an issue with the storage location of the software on your computer - computer maintenance and some computer housekeeping may very well resolve this.

If you go to that link I posted, above, the same quick "fix it" for the clock issues will also look for very generic, basic pieces of computer housecleaning which you should be doing on a regular basis, and will fix those.

My recommendations to your are:

1. Run the general Microsoft "fix it" from the link above;

2. Go to Microsoft Updates, and accept any Update for your computer and Restart;

3. If you have a decent disc utility, run it to clear out any disc/drive errors and defragment the drive.

As I stated - none of the issues you have listed point to a problem with Constant Guard or with Norton - but do point to potential operating system and browser issues which could probably be resolved with the few simple steps I've mentioned above - do some disc maintenance and make sure your operating system is up to date. If you are using XP - then it can't really be up to date since there hasn't been an update for XP since February, 2008 - applications and browsers have moved on - by 4 years - and XP has not been patched for any releases since then. As a result, more and more errors are seen with that operating system, related to the .net architecture (part of the operating system).

Contributor
huritt1

I installed Constant Guard along with Norton Security Suite. My browser is IE7, and Constant Guard is installed and enabled. But when I click on 'Add Other Account' nothing happens - no window opens or anything else. A window DOES open when I click on the 'Add New Financial Account' icon. And for whatever it is worth, nothing happens when I try to open the User Guide from the drop-down menu under the 'Help' icon.

Any idea why I'm not able to open the 'Add New Account' window? Thanks.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi huritt1 - Something is blocking our "help" pages on your computer. When you click on the "Add Other Account" heading, a regular web page opens with instructions.  The same thing happens when you click on the User Guide. The reason you see a window when you click to "Add Financial Account," is that clicking that opens our proprietary browser, Secure View, on your computer. So, we know that the core functionality of the software is working. However, there is an issue with our pages opening using your browser. First things first, though - See if you can add an "other" account -

1. click on your IE icon to open a browser page; 

2. Go to a common shopping site, or a site for which you use log-on credentials - but not a bank - perhaps Penny's, Macy's, Target, etc;

3. Enter your sign-on credentials on the page, and then click to "Submit," or "Enter" as you normally would.

Did you see a Constant Guard pop-up window asking if you wished to add the account to Constant Guard?

If you DID, then the software is working fine, and something is blocking our windows from opening in your browser OR the browser is running very slow.

If you DID NOT, then the Browsher Helper Object (add-on) for your browser isn't working. If that is the case:

1. click to open the "Add Other Account" window - and if nothing happens, hit the F5 button on your keyboard. This will refresh and reload the page. Did it work? If so, then your browser is very slow, you have a connection or slow processor issue. If it didn't -

1. Open a browser window;

2. Click on the Tools icon - it looks like a gear or sprocket in the menu bar of your browser;

3. Click on "Manage add-ons,"

4. Is Constant Guard Protection Suite listed in the add-ons, and if it is, is it enabled? If it is but is not enabled, click on it to highlight it, and then click to "Enable" the add-on.

5. Close all your browser windows to save that change.

This should resolve the issue.

If the Constant Guard Protection Suite is NOT listed in the add-ons, it was blocked when you installed the software. You would need to do several things to resolve this:

1. Go to your Internet Options control panel;

2. Click on the Security Tab;

3. What is the setting at? Try lowering the setting and see if the issue goes away.

IF you are using Windows Vista, the User Account Controls for that operating system set the security high, and some web applications have security issues with it. However, I have not seen this with our software. These are just standard/normal web pages.

If the BHO is not listed, it may come down to a firewall or anti-virus application blocking our software. If that is the case, you would need to remove the software and reinstall while watching to see if you get a prompt from a piece of security software to Allow the installation.

1. Go to control panel to Programs/Features (Add/Remove Software if you are still using XP);

2. Find Constant Guard Protection Suite in the list of programs. Click on it to highlight it. Click to Uninstall or Remove;

3. When prompted to Save the secure password file, DO if you have created financial accounts. Otherwise, click NO, and the software will be removed completely, including the password and PIN file;

4. Fill out the uninstall survey - click "temporarily removing, and working with a support rep;"

5. RESTART the computer;

6. Go to www.comcast.net/security and click to Get It Now/Install;

7. SAVE the software. When prompted to Run or Save, click to SAVE, and save it to your computer - during the download, watch for any prompts to Allow the download, and click to Allow;

8. After the download is complete, click to Install/Run the installer - to install the software. Again, watch for any prompts from a firewall or anti-virus application to ALLOW the installation.

9. Enter or Create the PIN.

Did this resolve the issue?

Contributor
huritt1

I followed all the suggested fixes, but unfortunately none of them worked. My computer is running Windows 7. Constant Guard is installed and enabled. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program after saving it to disc, but still get no response when I log on to a site requiring password information and get no response when I click on the "Add Other Account" link. I didn't get any messages from the Norton Security Suite during installation. I still get no response when I click on 'User Guide' or 'Support' from the drop-down menu under the '?' icon.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi huritt1,

A question for you - have you tried adding a banking or financial account? Try using your browser to go to the website for your bank. If you use online banking, then you should be able to enter your online banking credentials on the bank site log-in page. After entering the credentials, when you click to "Submit," or "Enter," or "log in" - by clicking the appropriate button, you should then be asked if you wish to add the account to the Constant Guard list of secure accounts.

If you are NOT prompted, something - very l ikely a firewall - is blocking our entire service on your computer.

If you ARE prompted, and are able to add the account, then our software is working correctly - because our secure browser worked. If this is the case, there is an issue with our web pages being blocked by your computer - and again, that would point to a a browser or firewall issue.

So - try the above - see if you can create a secure banking account using the CGPS, and if you can or can't it will give us a better idea of what is happening.

Contributor
huritt1

I went to a financial institution where I have an account and logged in. I didn't get a prompt from Constant Guard asking if I wanted to add the account. My browser is IE7.

Any ideas for other things I could try? Thanks.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

This means that the BHO (browser helper object) wihch is the connection between our software and your browser isn't working - either the browser has an issue, or the BHO does. From my original reply:

1. Open a browser window;

2. Click on the Tools icon - it looks like a gear or sprocket in the menu bar of your browser;

3. Click on "Manage add-ons,"

4. Is Constant Guard Protection Suite listed in the add-ons, and if it is, is it enabled? If it is but is not enabled, click on it to highlight it, and then click to "Enable" the add-on.

5. Close all your browser windows to save that change.

If you see the add on AND it's enabled, and you still have an issue, then reset the browser:

1. Go to Internet Options control panel to Advanced and click to RESET the browser.

2. Close all browser windows.

Follow the above to ensure the BHO is enabled, and try again.

If that doesn't work, then then only option would be to remove the CGPS software, restart, and reinstall again. Sorry for all of this, and certainly the repeats in having the remove and reinstall, but the cause is going to be very basic:

1. Something is keeping our BHO from working;

2. The browser is corrupr, and so the BHO can't work;

3. Our software, which installs the BHO did not install correctly.

The instructions above should resolve any or all of these 3 scenarios, but if a firewall is blocking the software OR if the security settings for the browser are too high, you could still have an issue.

Contributor
huritt1

I confirmed that Constant Guard is installed and enabled. I then reset the browser, closed the browser, and tried again. Still no response from Constant Guard when I go to a web site that requires an ID and password. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling again, but I've already done that once and it didn't fix the problem. But I'll let you know if something changes.

PS: I also tried using the Chrome browser (my default browser if IE). That didn't work either.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi Huritt - I know this is going to sound repetitive, and perhaps dumb - but the absolute determining factor if there's an issue with the browser helper object, i.e. the connection to the browser is IF you cannot create a secure account using our Secure View browser. If you can click on the CGPS icon and open the dashboard, and then click to Add Financial Account, it will bring up our site search engine. Enter the name, or URL of a bank which you have an account for, or credit card, and search. When the site name appears, follow the instructions to add it to the Constant Guard. If it adds - we know the issue is not with the CGPS software, but is associated with the browser or browser settings on the computer itself. We will know because the bank will be added, and will open using *our* browser, and not the default browser of your computer. If that works, we'll know.

A few other things come to mind -

1. Serious browser latency - if your browser is really slow, due to corruption or real network latency, it just will not work - our BHO will time out waiting for your browser to open a window;

2. Firewall - there are actually multiple services running through our software - there is the installation, the service itself, validation, update, etc. if something is blocking the services or a service - there will be an issue;

3. Cookies/Security Certificate - if your clock is wrong or is not in synchronization with internet time, the security certificate cannot be created. However, IF you have installed the software, can enter your PIN, and the software is validated and opens to the dashboard - there is no problem there;

4.Cookies/first party cookies - Is your browser set to accept and store cookies? It needs to be.

And please confirm that you have not been able, ever, to add a single account to the CGPS.

For Financial Accounts, you can add them from the search engine, as noted above. For "Other" accounts, you would be prompted as soon as you clicked Enter or Submit to submit your log-in credentials to the site. When you click that button to send the credentials, that is what tells your browser that the credentials fields are active. The browser then tells us, and we put up the dialogue box asking if you wish to add the account. So - it's pretty evident that if you aren't seeing the dialogue box - the BHO - the link between us and your browser isn't working.

Again an bit repetitive - have you tried just resetting the browser settings?

Contributor
huritt1

The Constant Guard browser window opens when I click on the name of a financial institution, but I get a message that I can't log in because I'm either already logged in (I'm not) or the site has changed. I logged in again, inside the Constant Guard browser, and got access to the financial site. But the next time I tried to log in I again got the message about already being logged in (I wasn't) or the site changing. I'm guessing the problem might be that the institution requires three things to log in: an account number, a password, and an answer to a security question that rotates with every login. If Constant Guard can't handle security questions, it will always be faster and easier to just log in the old way.

I still don't get any prompt from Constant Guard when I log into an 'other account' that requires an account identifier and a password. I did reset the browser, and it made no difference.

Huritt1

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

What is the bank URL? We have the log on pages for over 8k US banks and lending institutions stored in our servers. IF the question changes with each log on, but the questions and answers are stored as cookies, then we can, very likely, still store the site and match it when you log on using our Secure View browser. A more likely explanation would be that your browser is set to clear cookies. The software just simply will not work if you are clearing your first party cookies. If you do that, then the bank cookie needs to be created each time you go to that site, and that renders the use of our software moot. If you wish to clear your cookies at each visit to a financial webpage, then our software will not work.

1. Check your browser settings and make sure that the settings are to SAVE the cookies;

2. Click on the CG icon to open the  dashboard, then click to Add A Financial Account, and a search engine bar will open - type your bank name into that search bar, and see if the bank comes up for you to add it from that location.

If the bank name does appear then we DO have it stored in our servers, and it should work without problem as long as you don't clear your cookies, so that the bank can remember your computer.

The CGPS makes it easy to access the accounts, but the MAIN advantage of using the Constant Guard Protection Suite for your online accounts is not just the ease of accessing the site - it is the security of the browser. You are not seeing the ease. If the secure account is created, once you enter your PIN to open the dashboard, you just click on the bank "name" in the list. When you do, we match the bank URL to the bank server addresses to ensure that it is not a fraudulent site. If we determine that it is not, then we open your account in our secure browser which is not a public browser and is not subject to the same kinds of issue as regular browsers, PLUS the anti-key-logging is in effect which encodes and decodes your keystrokes.

If you wish to send me the URL of the bank you are trying to create the account for, I will check it for you.

Visitor

I noticed that this thread describes exactly the type of trouble I've been having with my Constant Guard. I'm using Windows 7 and IE9.  For several months, the CG worked just fine. I was able to access my accounts and e-mails without logging in, Whenever I logged in to a new account, the tiny "Add Account" menu popped up and allowed me to add that account to the list. It was VERY convenient.

Then one day, I accessed an offensive website (through a link from a friend) that I didn't want in my browser history. So I went to Internet Options and deleted the history, cookies and passwords. From that moment on, I have to log in to each account manually each time. The Constant Guard no longer allowed me to "Add Account."

I've uninstalled/reinstalled CG at least six times. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the Norton Security suite several times. Even the "keep me signed in" button below my gmail sign-in won't work anymore. I've now spent an entire week following the instructions on the "Manage Add-ons" and anything else I can find.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Your browser, or another utility is set to delete cookies at each visit to a web page. You need to have your first party cookies enabled. This is what allows the bank or site to "remember" your computer. If that is set to clear each time you change pages, then the bank does not know who you are, and you will be asked your security questions each time you log on. Although CG encrypts and stores the cookie, if there is not one to store, it can't function. You need to check to ensure that your browser is set to accept cookies.

New Visitor
jaimesc

Im sorry I press the botum by accident

New Visitor
steve_r_adams

I am finding this pop-up MOST ANNOYING and think it poor policy to not allow some opt-out proceedure.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi steve_r_adams,

If you do not want to be prompted to add a website to the CGPS software application, when prompted by the Add Account pop up window select the Never option.