New Visitor
HJDDARTS

Constant Guard

Hello I have a couple questions about this little annoying box that pops up.

First of all How to make it go away forever i do not want or need it

Secondly if I have multiple computers how do i know which computer the supposed bot activity is actually on ?

This thing is extremely annoying and i know for a fact that my laptop does not have any virus / spyware / malware or any of that &%#@ on it. and the second it popped up on 1 computer everyone in the house started yelling at that very moment about it.

My personal opinion is that it is comcast's secret little way to spy on you and see everything that you are doing which would make comcast a form of spyware itsself.

I am sorry to say but if this " bot detection " continues to come up on my brand new laptop I blame comcast and will be changing my ISP

Contributor

Re: Constant Guard

Constant Guard  Since I was informed that I had to have this program I have had lots of problems.  Now because there are two security programs things are running slow and I can not even close my system down.  Whats going on with this.  ??? Dis- like it lots...

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

[ Edited ]

The Bot/Malware notifications are part of the Comcast service itself, and are not associated with any Comcast software you load on your system, such as Constant Guard Protection Suite. You can find information regarding the bot notifications on the Comcast security site at www.comcast.net/security. You can also contact Comcast Security Assurance - the number is available through the above link. You will hear a recorded message which includes a message that this number is not for issues associated with Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) - and your issue is NOT with the CGPS, but that is the number for issues associated with Bots, Malware, Copyright notices, etc. and they would be the ones to help you with issues associated with a Bot/Malware warning.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

feltonhenge - I'm unclear on your message. You state that you "had to have this program,..." which makes me think that your issue is with a BOT/Malware notification, but that does not involve any program, download, or install. You also state that you are now running two security programs, which makes it sound like you DID install a piece of security software. You aren't forced to install anything to use Comcast or the Xfinity services. So, if you can elaborate on your issue perhaps we can help. If you installed Constant Guard Protection Suite, and already have a fulltime security package running, AND you're on an older OS such as XP or don't have enough real memory to run the fulltime web applications - then you're going to see a real slow down of your computer as the multiple applications go to your hard drive for operating memory. This slows the read/writes of the drive, bogs down the processor, etc - the system slows way down. If that is the case, then install the Norton application available IF you want or need a security application. If you don't, then don't install it.

You say you can't close your system down - are you getting an error at closing the system? If so, it is possible that your issue is actually with the antivirus application which installs with the Xfinity toolbar. You should be able to use your Administrative Tools control panel to turn off the antivirus service and you should then be able to remove it. There are many postings in this forum regarding "how" to remove the antivirus application.

Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I did install security software through the assistance of Comcast help.  I have  XP as you stated but have plenty of memory.  I also have Norton security which comcast provides but nothing else.  I just have a home PC.  Can I remove the software of Constant Guard without removing Norton?  That is when all my problems started.  Hope I can remove software. 

Thank you.  Feltonhenge

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi feltonhenge,

I'll leave the removal instructions of CGPS for CGPS-Support.

CGPS and Norton Security Suite are separate and independent programs capable of operating without any reliance on each other.  So yes it is possible to remove either without remvoing the other

However I must point out that if you are encountering problems at shut down similar to those addressed in this FAQ, that toolbar is actually installed as part of CGPS and has nothing to do with Norton.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Hi feltonhenge,

I'll probably be drawn and quartered, but you might find the following post  from cgps-support informative, you'll have to wade through the run on paragraph and wordiness (my word) to get to the nuts and bolds of the post.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-BSOD/m-p/1607615#M92334

This is the portion I'm referring to:

Please use this cleaner to ensure that the CGPS, which includes the Antilogger SDK is gone from your system:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Hope this helps, and if I'm intruding apologies to all..

ciao, bj

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi feltonhenge - from your response, it's still unclear as to whether you have CGPS installed, or not. You state tthat you installed software, but that, "I also have Norton security which comcast provides but nothing else." If you just go to your Add/Remove programs control panel, and look in the list, if you see a red CG logo *Constant Guard Protection Suite), then our software is there, and you can run the cleaner link I'm providing to remove it. Restart your computer after removing it. IF there is no CG icon, and Constant Guard is not installed, then the slow-down is going to be associated with something else.

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe