Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Error norton 3048,3

Error: "3048,3" appears on my Norton product, only comes up when online.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Error norton 3048,3

Gambit66 wrote:

Error: "3048,3" appears on my Norton product, only comes up when online.

Hi Gambit66,

Have you tried to run LiveUpdate manually? 

If no joy,reboot and try to run LiveUpdate again.

That error indicates a problem with updates, so since you must be onlone inorder to get the updates - that wouldmake sense you only get it when online.  Perhpas a check of your History > LiveUpdate results may lend a hint.

Keep us posted.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

[ Edited ]

Found the solution tp the problem about 10 minutes after I posted. Here it is https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v63747322_EndUserProfile...

No problems so far!

P.S. I always run live update manually as soon as I connect with the laptop.

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

[ Edited ]

Nevermind,, missed step 2! :smileyblush: 

This is only happening on my laptop with Windows Vista.

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

[ Edited ]

Okay, wife got the same error code last night, just completed step 1 & 2 of the suggested solution from norton. Also deleted java6, as she needs it for her classes online. going to load the newest version of java. We`ll see tonight if the error comes up again.

power eraser found 0 threats

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Gambit66,

I see you are following the link you provided above.  That link is a recently rewritten one and it states that the Norton Remove and Reinsatll Tool works for NSS - something ti did not do in the past.  If have to go that far, please let us know if it in fact works or not.  That would be a great improvement for NSS if it does work.

Please do keep us posted.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

I do not see a remove and reinstall tool, or instructions to go that far on that link/page, just a virus definitions folder to download in step 1, and to use norton power eraser in step 2.

First time it happened my wife was online, so I just did the definitions and scanned the computer. Second time I did both 1 & 2 yesterday. Nothing came up last night. Today still good, but did get an attack which I don`t think is related, but will post on different thread.

That link is a recently rewritten one and it states that the Norton Remove and Reinsatll Tool works for NSS - something ti did not do in the past.

Are you saying that the removal of the old version was not complete, is this the reson for the error?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Gambit66,

Not very clear, but this shows where the What if this doesn't work? link is located on the link your provided above.   Clicking on what if this doesn't work? takes you to the page with the Remove and Reinstall Tool on it.

what if this does not work.PNG

That link is a recently rewritten one and it states that the Norton Remove and Reinsatll Tool works for NSS - something ti did not do in the past.

Are you saying that the removal of the old version was not complete, is this the reson for the error?

No, I had warned you before that the Remove and Reinstall Tool did not work for NSS, but the rewritten  information in the "What if this doesn't work? link now says that it does work for NSS.  It has no impact at this time on your siutation.

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Oh I see, after answering no it did not help, it takes you too the remove and reinstall?

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Error came up again, but this time it did a fix/installation took maybe 3 minutes.

Norton Security Suite
Error: 3048, 3
Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Installation :: Success

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

USAF- I was referring to when I downloaded and installed version 20.2, and it uninstalled the old version 6, as to whether are not it erased version 6 properly, and if didn`t, was that the cause of the error happening now. Never got it before this version.

Anyway, sure would be nice if norton would explain why/what the error was in the first place.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Gambit66 wrote:

USAF- I was referring to when I downloaded and installed version 20.2, and it uninstalled the old version 6, as to whether are not it erased version 6 properly, and if didn`t, was that the cause of the error happening now. Never got it before this version.

Anyway, sure would be nice if norton would explain why/what the error was in the first place.

I explained the error with as much info as I have on it:   

That error indicates a problem with updates, so since you must be online  in order to get the updates - that would make sense you only get it when online. Perhaps a check of your History > LiveUpdate results may lend a hint.

Now if you follow this link, it will acccomplish an uninstall , a cleanup and a reinstall. A double check so to speak of the removal of v 6.

Please keep us posted!

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

If more problems come up, that`s exactly what I will do, a clean install of norton. Will keep you posted.