Bronze Star Contributor

How Do I Disable/Remove Symantec Service Framework (SSF)?

Using NSS 5.2.2.3 on Win 7/64.  SSF appears to be causing freeze-up problems when MBAM (AntiMalwareBytes) tries to update.  Even tho I have the MBAM exclusions inputted to NSS, the problem sporadically persists.  Internet forums say it's a common problem, and suggest disabling SSF (ordinarily worthless) through "services.msc".  However, SSF is not on my services list although it shows on Task Manager gobbling up CPUs when MBAM is trying to update.  So how can I kill SSF once and for all?  Thnx.    

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: How Do I Disable/Remove Symantec Service Framework (SSF)?

Hi cwitze,

The ccsvchst.exe file is automatically added to your computer upon installing the Norton software, and it is referred to as the Symantec Service Framework. The ccsvchst.exe file works to display the GUI (Graphical User Interface) of Norton products, which usually include the Norton Security Suites. If the ccsvchst.exe file encounters a problem, Norton’s graphical interface will only be displayed after the computer has been rebooted.

Almost all Norton products come bundled with the ccsvchst.exe file. It is important for this file to be found with the installation of these software products since the user interface where the user interacts with the computer is made possible by this file. As new versions of Norton products are released, the graphical user interface also changes.

This is an application created by 'Symantec Corporation'. To stop ccsvchst.exe permanently uninstall 'Symantec Security Technologies' from your system.

IMHO, the easiest thing to do is to disbale the real-time protection within MBAM, rather than making all the scan exclusions in Norton so MBAM can run without being detcted. That is why when running Norton it is suggested to use the MBAM Free Program as an on demand scanner.

Also be advised you are not using the most recent version of Norton Security Suite.  You can go here and follow the instuctions to upgrade.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor

USAF........thanks for a bunch of good stuff.  Because of internet discussions re the Norton/MBAM conflict, I began to wonder if a later version of Norton (if it existed) would solve the problem.  But nowhere on the Comcast website could I find out what the latest version was.  Where should I have looked?  If I have to do an uninstall/reinstall (ie, if it's not just a simple upgrade), it must have some major changes.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Have a look at the top of the Security and Anti-Virus Board at the stickies - you will see about 4 posts concerning the upgrade to version 6.  This is the one you should be interested in: specifically #1 - upgrading from Version 5.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Comcast-Norton-Security-Suite-6-3-is-now-availa...

You may be able to get away with just an  over install, but it sdoes have some major changes, including Win 8 compatability.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor

USAF.......OK, I did a full reinstall to ver 6 and will see if my problem goes away (I noticed that ver 6 made some changes to SSF).  I appreciate the various links you provided, I wouldn't have found the NSS download otherwise.......Comcast only wanted me to use that ghastly CG package.  I don't recall ever getting an alert that ver 6 was available.  I saved my settings as you suggested, but the new version lost my exclusions and Quick Controls (and I hope nothing else, AFI !!).  Many thanks for your expert guidance.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

cwitze,

You are welcome.  If I remember correctly, you should not have lost your Quick Controls.  I am not sure about your exclusions, although I know the firewall rules are not carried forward.

The notice's usually come out on the Norton Forums N360 Board first as NSS is a clone of N 360 and NSS questions may also be asked on the N 360 Board there (please ensure you state you are using NSS:  http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/bd-p/Norton_360

As you can see, they have just released N 360 20.1.1.2 - Norton Security Suite is usually upgraded 3 or 4 months after the commercial version is upgraded - so we should be getting that upgrade in the future. It will be announced here as well when available.

Also CGPS and NSS are two separate programs and can be installed/uninstalled as single programs.

New Visitor
dstin1

If you really want to remove to remove it there is a removal tool provided by Symantec.  Also please remember Norten is not the only virus tool out there.