Regular Contributor
Flyvapnet
Accepted Solution

How do I reinstall Secure Backup & Share?

Recently I discovered Secure Backup & Share was performing in an odd manner so I uninstalled it via Add or Remove Programs; and then I came to the Comcast site in order to download and reinstall that program.  This Web site, however, informs me I've already got Secure Backup & Share!  Since I uninstalled that program it no longer appears in Add or Remove Programs so, no, I don't have it anymore.

I tried going the Customer Service route, via chat, but the first representative didn't know where I could find the relevant file folder in order that I might make sure everything related to the uninstalled program had been removed.  (Neither Comcast nor Secure Backup & Share files/folders can be found in the Program Files folder.)  I was then directed via a URL to a second representative, in a Secure Backup & Share chat group.  After about 15 minutes of repeated "You are number 1 in the queue" and "A customer service representative wll be with you in a moment" messages, I gave up.

What I'm wondering, then, is:  Where on my disk drive are Comcast and/or Secure Backup & Share files/folders located; and regardless of that, how do I convince the Comcast robots that I no longer have Secure Backup & Share?  My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.  Thank you for your advice on this matter.

:smileyhappy:

=^..^=

Service Expert
Bartleby

Re: How do I reinstall Secure Backup & Share?

[ Edited ]

I'm curious.  What do you mean by "performing in an odd manner"?  Aren't you concerned that the odd behavior will occur again, assuming your reinstallation issue is resolved?

I don't use the service, but have been looking through the help info at

http://support.comcastvault.net/

Have you looked through that for help?  This may simply be related to the fact that your primary account is already registered.  Or it's possible that there are some leftovers in the Windows Registry that are causing trouble with downloading/installing the client again.  But I wouldn't know what to tell you to look for--and tweaking the registry manually isn't something I generally recommend, even if I could tell you what to check.

I sure didn't see any obvious help for a "reinstall".  Nor did I look very deeply into how the original install is done.  I assume you don't have a downloaded installer saved somewhere that you could just run again?  Can you be a bit more specific about exactly what happens when you try to get another copy of the client?

You might simply be able to register a secondary user name, to get another copy of the client software.  But I don't recommend that, based on what little I read about how the service works.  I'm thinking it might cause trouble to have two accounts as registered users, if you are really only using the service on one physical system.

Unless someone else checks in, you can try a forum search on the product/service.  Or you may need to "bite the bullet" and get back in that help queue that you abandoned.

Regular Contributor
Flyvapnet

Yes, Bartleby, I'd already looked through that "Secure Backup & Share" page of Comcast Vault Help prior to posting; and, as you pointed out, there's nothing mentioned regarding reinstallation.  However, thanks to persistence, my fifth attempt to get help via either chat or telephone paid off!

It turns out there is a Web page addressing this matter, but it's well hidden.  First, go to https://www.comcastvault.net/login and log in.  You should then be taken to https://www.comcastvault.net/account/billing.  Select the "Users & Settings" tab, then scroll down to the "Manage My Backed Up Computers" category.  A radio button labeled "Replace" is located in the "Operation" column.  Click on that button.

A pop-up dialog box will appear and one should click on the "Copy Files" button.  This in turn produces another pop-up box, with buttons for both Macintosh and Windows systems.  Copy the alpha-numeric expression in the box's upper-left quadrant, then click on the relevant operating-system button near the bottom of the box.  A file-saving box will then appear.  "Save" that file!  It's the Comcast Secure Backup and Share application.

:smileygrin:

=^..^=

Service Expert
Bartleby

I hope you don't run into any issues as a result of using the "Replace" feature--since that looked like it was aimed at moving the service from one physical system to another.  At least from what I read of the help info.  Perhaps there's a loophole in what it said about preventing further backups on the original system, as long as the "replacing" system is really the original one.

Or is the process you are talking about different from the replacing a machine process, as described here?

Thanks for the follow-up, and keep us posted as far as any further quirks you may run into.  It may help other users.

Regular Contributor
Flyvapnet

Well, Bartleby, it's "So far, so good."  The installation went smoothly and files are being backed up even as we speak.  I don't know whether or not the result obtained via the procedure I described is the same as the one obtained via the procedure you described.  I merely wanted to reinstall the program, whereas the process described via the link you posted seems more of a data-loss emergency procedure.  I just don't know.

Oh, the reason I uninstalled that program in the first place:  The "Settings" page was in a constant state of (shall we say) thinking — the hourglass icon being continuously present — thus preventing me from changing anything.  I'd wanted to back up fewer categories of files, but "Settings" wouldn't let me.  With this new installation I was able to accomplish that task right away, so now it's doing what it ought.  I fear, though, there's still something wrong with the actual "Settings" page (it's thinking again) but I"m staying out of there!  The first backup since the reinstallation has been successful, so at least there's a happy ending.

:smileyplain:

=^..^=

New Visitor
Lyrain

I wish to say Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Soo much i have been looking for weeks how to fix this problem your share got everythings fixed for me. Have a wonderful day. a

New Visitor

Thanks for the info..worked good for me :smileygrin:

New Visitor

Thank you very much for the information. This is just what I was looking for!