Regular Contributor

How to delete a file at start up?

there's this file that spybot finds (Web Tangent I think) that cant be deleted because its always in use, how can I delete this file at start up?

by the way, everytime spybot tries to run a scan right after a restart, an error comes up.

thanks in advance
Security Expert
CajunTek

Re: How to delete a file at start up?

Wild Tangent most likely.. It's something that comes from a lot of online games as well as AIM..

I am not a fan of WT or its creator but.. that said.. You may or may not want to keep it.. Since if you play some of these online games they will stop working..

If you do want to remove it.. We'll help.. If you decide you want to keep it.. We'll help you show Spybot how to ignore it..

For interesting reading on Wild tangent Here's the site:
http://www.wildtangent.com/
and their privace policy

Let us know..
TANSTAAFL!!

Regular Contributor

thanks, I only use AIM. Would it be oaky to keep WIld Tangent?

for future refernece, how would i delete a file at start up?
Security Expert
CajunTek

What you would need to do is find the file's location and delete it in safe mode..

See the READ THIS FIRST... topic for instructions on booting into safe mode..
TANSTAAFL!!

Most Valued Poster

You have all my sympathy. Wild Tangent is ridiculous.
Bronze Star Contributor

The wild tangent stuff installed by AIM does have entries in "add/remove programs". You can remove 99% of wild tangent using these entries. As best I can recall a folder or two get left behind and a registry entry. SPYBOT S&D will identify these leftovers and you can take care of removal.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Actually that depends on when he actually got WT and which version.. The later versions are removable with add/remove programs.. The earlier versions are not..

Something about people complaing to Mr St John...
TANSTAAFL!!

Most Valued Poster

How To Uninstall WildTangent:
http://support.wildgames.com/uninstall.html
Most Valued Poster

> for future refernece, how would i delete a file at
> start up?

You can delete a file from the registry. Or you can simply prevent it from starting up when you boot up your computer (easier and safer for non-pros):

-- Go to Start -> Run
-- Type msconfig and click OK
-- In the System Utility, select the Startup tab
-- Uncheck any files you wish to prevent from auto-start on boot
-- When you restart your computer, a box will come up saying the file was modified and ask if you want to keep the modifications, tell it yes. -- Be sure you check the little box that says not to notify you each time, otherwise you will be get the notification on every boot-up.

All Best!
Bronze Star Contributor

Angela, thank you for the link for removing Wild Tangent. During the process of putting my pc back together, WT got installed today, I deleted thru add remove, ran Counter Spy which I thought got rid of the leftovers, then Spy Bot found the same thing. As a precaution, I used the removal tool you suggested. Computer all clean now.