Regular Contributor

I have a virus Norton does not detect

I have a virus/malware that Norton does not detect.  I tried to remove it, but I think I made it mad.

This virus/adware/malware whatever has been hijacking my browser, and when my computer is inactive, but on, it will open a few pop up windows to display web pages I don't want. 

It will also automatically open add-on programs to my Firefox browser, asking for permission to install.

Now, today's new feature is a white screen, then black screen.  It will suddenly give me a white screen when I click a link to a web page, because it's trying to hijack my browser but I have disabled part of it.  Then it goes to black screen.  I cannot access anything on screen when this happens, and I have to reboot my computer.

I have run Norton 3 times.  I have Norton updates every day.  It does not detect the malware.

I think the redirect was via yorknews...... something, it was quickly yanked off the screen.

Contributor
Vampyre

Re: I have a virus Norton does not detect

1. Uninstall norton it's a worthless pice of junk..

2. Install AVAST or MS Security Esst. Anything is better than norton

3. Boot into safe mode run the above. 

4. Also would not hurt to install adware and spy bot

New Visitor
Smokinpr23

Yes like the person above stated those 2 anti-virus' are very good.  I would also suggest Malware bytes free trial just for cleaning out some of the malware.  Stronger trojans and such it won't dent but it will help.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

If you think your computer is infected. The first thing to do is scan your computer completely with your Antivirus and Anti Spyware programs. Be sure to save the logs. They are valuable if further help is needed.

If your computer is still infected, then you will need additional assistanceYou'll find instructions and links for the programs needed here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13616

Once you have the log, post them here, along with any antivirus and antispyware logs you may have:  http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup

Note that membership at DSLR is not required to post logs in the SCU forum, but it is highly recommended.

Other communities that can assist with virus/malware removal are:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/

http://cybertechhelp.com/forums/

http://forums.whatthetech.com/

http://spywareinfoforum.com/

Be advised that there are many "rogue" programs that offer to scan for free, but charge for removal. Most are easily removed. If you think you have one installed, then check here for complete removal instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic171335.html

Finally, you can get help for Windows Problems here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor

So, Norton does not stand behind their product?  Comcast doesn't really have a security program?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

parker121 wrote:

So, Norton does not stand behind their product?  Comcast doesn't really have a security program?

Norton (as well as Comcast) does provide a "pay for virus removal option". 

The Norton Forums does have a volunteer who does virus/malware removal free of charge as do the sites  Evie mentioned above. 

BTW,  I saw AVAST or MS Security Esst. being recommended - they do not provide free removal service  either.

No matter which AV you use - it alone is not capable of removing/protecting from everything out there - there is always something new that needs to be found and a set of deifinitions created to combat it.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus or anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a
multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

By quietman7 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic407147.html

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor

Oh, I see.

I have a virus protection program that does not protect my computer.  If I get a virus, I need to pay the virus protection company to remove the virus that they did not detect.

If they didn't detect it, how can they remove it?  Doesn't this set up a scam industry, where each "virus protection" company can write their own virus for their own customers? 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

No, you don't have to pay for virus removal. You can get help for FREE at any of the sites listed in my first post in this topic.

If you use the product support they will use the same tools the FREE sites use to find the infection. What the vendor help will want to do is connect to your system remotely so they can install the programs, run them, see the results and remove the malware.

If you know the name of the virus there are tutorials available which will guide you through the process of removal. Bleeping Computer has an extensive list of these tutorials. Other sites may also have them.

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

I am no expert in computers. I used Comcasts antivirus,had to reinstall my Win 7 two times in one year. Got no help from Norton or Comcast. Comcast just wants more money for help. Try Comodo security. Had the pay version over a year no problems. No reinstall of my Win 7.  I have a friend who has been using Comodo for over 3 years and no problems.

New Visitor
Letitia06

Good afternoon, I'm trying to run my system for virus.............normally have a antivirus from comcast.   His it still in place.    If so how could I get it back on my system

Recognized Contributor

Norton is among the worse rated around.  Try ESET they are rated among the top 5. You also have to realize NO AV will catch more then 55%.

Regular Contributor
SatinKnight

Layer protection is the best bet. I use Comodo (CIS v6), Malwarebytes, and Super Anti Spyware. Try using Hitman pro, it will allow you one free removal of malware after that you have to pay. There are many options out there you just have to pick the ones that fit your needs.

Contributor
BeZurcher

[ Edited ]

comodo Has superior Protection for unknown threats which is why I also use it. It isn't rated high by independent security labs because the Defense+ asks user to decide security questions. but Defense+ from tests I have seen done is one of the best HIPS(Host Intrusion Pervention system) and Behavior blockers you can dind. Norton does have sonar but is not as good as comodos Defense+. sorry if this is off topic. Good product if you considering switching from norton after you have fixed this issue.

Security Expert
CajunTek

BeZurcher wrote:

comodo Has superior Protection for unknown threats which is why I also use it. It isn't rated high by independent security labs because the Defense+ asks user to decide security questions. but Defense+ from tests I have seen done is one of the best HIPS(Host Intrusion Pervention system) and Behavior blockers you can dind. Norton does have sonar but is not as good as comodos Defense+. sorry if this is off topic. Good product if you considering switching from norton after you have fixed this issue.

I disagree totally Comodo stinks along with its author Melih. I wouldn't touch anything by Comodo.. In fact, Comodo didn't get a single star from av-comparatives.org  If you are going to switch I'd reccomend Kaspersky, or G-data or Bitdefender. And layers are better so Malwarebytes or HitmanPro as an addition would be good too.

TANSTAAFL!!

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Suggests a Macintosh computer .

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

jeff3603 wrote:

Norton is among the worse rated around.  Try ESET they are rated among the top 5. You also have to realize NO AV will catch more then 55%.

Hi jeff3603,

That's some interesting data you have passed on - I'd love to read and analyze it myself - please pass on the reference for that data so I and others can check it out.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor
Bill-1948

Cajun Tek: Sir: I do disagree with you about Comodo. I am not an expert or any training in computers. I am speaking about what worked for me. Norton/Comcast antivirus has failed me time after time. I have gone so far as to get a 32 bit windows 7 put on my computer. Norton/Comcast phone support said ("Norton dose support 64 bit windows 7,you need a 32 bit for Norton to work properly"). I have spent a lot of my money and time at the computer store,because of Comcast/Norton product. I have spent NO money and time at the computer store using Comodo security. Pay version,not free version. I am not some kid that downloads music,Facebook,YouTube,we do not have Facebook,or Twitter account. My wife and myself are 60+ retired. My Comodo year was about up,that is why I posted to see if Comcast/Norton had improved where I could stay out of the computer shop.

Sorry about disagreeing with your your expert status. I can only tell you and others what works for me. Have no facts or numbers to back it up. Comodo works for me, Comcast/Norton has failed me. I posted to see if Comcast/Norton product had improved. If it has i could save a few dollars. If not it will save me money,and trips to the computer store,to use pay Comodo.

Recognized Contributor

Hi USAF,

I am replying to your question. The source of my information is Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org).  I consider them unbiased and thorough in their evaluations of products. Yes they aren't techys. From my personal experience I have had nothing but problems when I used both McAfee and Norton.  They both are space hogs, go everywhere on your computer, and are horrible to totally uninstall from your computer.  They also slowed my computer way down. I found a product that both Consumer reports and myself highly recommend. It is ESET. It runs silently in background, is easy to install and uninstall, doesn't go all over your computer or slow it down, It also, in my view, catches more stuff. I haven't had a single infection in the five years I been using it.  Can't say the same for Norton or McAfee. I realize no AV is 100%, 55% at best. I have found ESET to have great support, too. Granted it sometimes takes them a day or too to respond. They don't talk down to you and stay with you until you are satisfied with their fix, I had an occasion where a tech stayed with me for an hour until we fixed a problem that turned out to be a glitch in their program.  A week later that glitch was fixed with an updated version.

Recognized Contributor

I neglected to mention in my previous post that you need to be a Consumer Reports subscriber to access that report.

Recognized Contributor

Further clarification on my posts.

If you subscribe to Consumer Reports enter security software in the search and then click on ratings.  They rate free and pay software. It also shows what parameters they used in their ratings and the price of the software.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for your reply - it's a shame we can't see what Consumers Reports has to say about security, unles we pay for it! 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ jeff3603,

FWIW - here's a couple from a quick search that everyone can read:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

In case you can not find ESet - click on the "Next 10" on the right hand side of the chart.

So i guess I'll just disagreee with your repeated posts of how good ESET is and how poor Norton is!

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect that. From my own personal experience and what I have read I disagree with you. Yes, I agree it is a shame it can't be obtained for free. I think that should be free public information, but that's their business and how they make money.

Contributor
BeZurcher

My problem with PC mag is that like AV-comparatives, they seemed biased in some stuff, not hooribly but noticeable. they do legit tests I basically read all the possible reviews of products that I find out about, watching how the product behaves on the tests done on youtube(Not just believing what the person says cuz they can be biased as well) seeing if I like how the product behaves.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

You brought up some very valid points.  A lot of AV reviews are paid for by the software manufacturer or have a financial interest in the publication doing the reviewing. Also AV is like cars, everyone has their own preference. I found through my own personal experience and research what did and didn't work for me.  That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work for someone else.  I just tend to go with the one that has the least negatives and works the best.

Contributor
BeZurcher

[ Edited ]

I am trying to get a Virtual Machine going so I can test the products myself instead of having to rely on other sources. I found this guy Malwaredoctor on youtube. He is not paid, tested all th suites if you want to see how those programs behave.