Regular Contributor

Is is safe to stay signed in all the time?

Can you stay signed in all the time or should you log out each time you are finished, checking email, etc.

Thanks for any FYI
Most Valued Poster

Re: Is is safe to stay signed in all the time?

It depends on your local environment. Any one who has access to your computer can read your mail as long as it is signed on.

Is that what you mean?

Bill

I am the only one who really uses my computer. I am just concerned if someone "out there" could have access, while I am signed on. Thanks,
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

You have a good firewall, or even better a router? Behind those you are invisible to the outside world. Some never sign off. Some do.
Some modems have a stand by switch that they use. I do and like it.

Naddie D
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Regular Contributor

So would you suggest to sign off everytime, just to be safe?
Thanks
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

> So would you suggest to sign off everytime, just to
> be safe?
> Thanks

No, if you have a good firewall installed you will be ok. Choose the second scan and see if you are all green.

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

Naddie D
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.
Most Valued Poster

Like Naddie said, you need a firewall and antivirus protection.

I often leave my computer on for days at a time. Some people leave theirs on for weeks and months. They also make sure they have good security on their systems.

Read the Security topics at the top of the list here. Check out Comcast's Security Channel. And don't hesitate to ask questions about anything you need assistance with.

All Best!
Networking Expert
Baric

Depends on how secure your systems are and what you lifestyle is like. As long as your system(s) are secure physically (ie. no one can walk up to your keyboard and do nasty things), and you have a firewall of some sort (sortware or hardware), there's no security based reason to disconnect or logff the Comcast website (if you use that). Whether you chose to stay connected or not is your decision.

Personally I never sign off. My systems on up 24x7 and always connected to the Internet. My mail client is always up and pulls new messages ever 15 minutes so my messages only appear on the server for a very short time. I'm well protected behind a router so I have no fear of being entered that way. Only my son has physical access to my systems and and I trust him not to cause me any trouble (under pain of fatherly wrath :smileygrin:.
Bronze Star Contributor

I usually have no problems even when I leave my modem on all night or all day, but since my modem, SB5100, has a Standby button, I usually hit that button and turn it off when I'm done using it.
Email Expert
madylarian

I'm behind a router and software firewall and I leave my computer on 24/7. I also close out all windows, programs, etc., when not using them for a period of time. However, while I close out the programs, I don't sign out, so, depending on the type of cookie the program has (Gmail's will only last for 2 weeks), as soon as I open the program/browser window again, I'm already logged in. That is, until I clear my cache, history and cookies.

mady
Honi soit qui mal y pense
Bronze Star Contributor

I am on my laptop (ibm r32) with windows xp firewall. I am at a free wireless hotspot coffee shop and ran the port scan.... are these ok to be closed, but "UNSECURE"?

Closed but Unsecure
21 (FTP)

This port is not being blocked, but there is no program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
23 (Telnet)

This port is not being blocked, but there is no program currently accepting connections on this port.

Closed but Unsecure
25 (SMTP Mail Server Port)

Closed but Unsecure
79 (Finger)

Closed but Unsecure
80 (HTTP)

Closed but Unsecure
110 (POP3 Mail Server Port)

Closed but Unsecure
139 (Net BIOS)

Closed but Unsecure
143 (IMAP)

Closed but Unsecure
443 (HTTPS)
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

NO, you are not ok, you need to be unseen by the outside world.

Naddie D
Most Valued Poster
Goodspike

> I am on my laptop (ibm r32) with windows xp firewall.
> I am at a free wireless hotspot coffee shop and ran
> n the port scan.... are these ok to be closed, but
> "UNSECURE"?
>

Run the same scan somewhere else (preferably connected to a cable modem directly). If it's different (better), the scan you ran was of the wireless router, not your computer.

But you could also run the free version of Zonealarm, assuming it's not a business computer. That would close down everything (that's not related to a scan of a router)
Valet Park-It Yourself
Bronze Star Contributor

How do I do become unseen???? i thought I was????

SD
Most Valued Poster
Goodspike

> How do I do become unseen???? i thought I was????
>
> SD

If it's the router being seen, you need to learn how to configure your router (something you can only do at home, not at a coffee shop).

If it's your computer being seen, use Zonealarm.
Valet Park-It Yourself
Networking Expert
Baric

You can't run a port scan on your system from some anonymous wireless hotspot and expect it to give reliable or understandable results. Web based port scans work by trying to make a connection back to what they THINK is your IP addres. Did you verify (with ipconfig) that your IP address matched the IP address the website was trying to use? My guess would be that they were DIFFERENT. And the reason for that is this coffee shop is using a NAT device (possibly a wireless router) so everyone would look like they have the smae IP address to the outside world. In this situation, the web based port scan would be scanning the NAT device (wherever and whatever it is) and not your laptop.

To make a reliable test, go home and plug your laptop directly into the cable modem (making sure to power cycle it) and then run the scan. But even in this situation, other factors can interefere, for example, Comcast doesn't allow NetBIOS packets (ports 135-137,139, and 445) so even if you have your firewall open on these ports, the scan still wouldn't find them.

The most reliable test is having another computer on the same subnet as you, and on the same switch, run a port scan (using something like nmap) against your IP address.
Bronze Star Contributor

Got it... all secure except I realize I connected directly to router not the cable modem?? does that matter? SUS!

SD
Networking Expert
Baric

Sure does. If you are behind your router, the port scan is scanning your router, not your laptop.
Bronze Star Contributor

YEAH, the technologically challanged has finally accomplished this task... ALL GREEN and secure....

Now I presume I should run this with my desktop too?

Thanks much to all baric, goodspike, naddie, et al

sd

PS would this work with the USB line on cable modem to usb port on desktop, I don't have a cat5 long enough to reach??