New Visitor
JimCT
Accepted Solution

Manual Uninstall of Constant Guard

Does anyone have instructions for manual uninstall of Constant Guard? I used Programs Control Panel but it did an incomplete uninstall. I then tried to reinstall but download window told me that I had a curretly active version and had to delete it before i could reinstall. When i tried to use Control Panel again to uninstall, it tells me that the uninstall file is invalid (probably removed during partial uninstall). This program now does not do anything useful--it throws up blank screens and messages that it has stopped working. Think i am going to need to do a manual uninstall, but Comcast does not seem to tell how to do this. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Manual Uninstall of Constant Guard

Hi JimCT, 

Try this tool:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Keep us posted.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Word to the wise - if you have issues removing a piece of software - like this - and the chances are good that something has corrupted the uninstaller - or a registry corruption is keeping the uninstall from working - go to control panel to Administrative Tools to Services and stop the service for that application, then go to the control panel to uninstall/remove.

New Visitor
JimCT

Worked! Thank you very much.

New Visitor
JimCT

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried it but without success. It did allow me the opportunity to disable Constant Guard which was almost as good. I tried the other recommendation that I received afterward, and that one did remove the application. Thanks again.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ JimCT,

Glad you got it sorted.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
Mirabai1974

Big Thnx.

Contributor

i just tried this and it still is giving me this message: invalid uninstall control file: c:/PROGRAMFILES(x86)/constant guard protection suite/uninstall/uninstall.xml.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Go to your Administrative control panel to Services, and make sure the Constant Guard (CGPS) service is stopped, and then use the cleaner link which USAF has posted in this forum. It's possible, if not probable that the application is running, and if so, the uninstaller will not work.

New Visitor
Sue_O

Worked great!  Thanks!  

New Visitor
cybermad

OK, why do people post a solution when that does not work or match the setup?  Control Panel does not have "Administrative Tools then Services" so how the @#$!# is anyone suppose to follow your instructions!  Plus WHAT is the dang services that I'm suppose to "shutdown"  I can go to 'Task Manager" and get services there but since they are abreviated which one(s) am I suppose to shut down or end using task manager?

I'ved deleted constant guard directory and files (except for the dlls it won't let me get rid of.  Found a constant guard online unistall, but that does not get rid of this last message.  The programs (constant guard and valid guard, etc.) are gone from the control panel list of installed programs, but still the stupid error msg keeps returning and sticks to the front of everything.  WIN7 is the most user unfriendly program and now Constant Guard has locked itself into the error loop.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Go this way to find Services:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services

Cleanup Tool to try:

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi cybermad,

If the CGPS software application is no longer listed in your computer's Control Panel are you sure the "error message" is being generated by the CGPS software?  As a note, runner the CGPS Cleaner Tool should have completely removed the software application from your computer system.  With regards to your error message, what is the exact error message?  What action, on your computer, causes the error message to appear?

Contributor

what can I do to remove the constant guard message from my iPad and iPod Touch?  This blocker effectively renders my iPod Touch useless, as it blocks most of the screen.  On the iPad it takes up about 1/3 of the screen. It completely blocks any order form and it disabled me from ordering a special deal on a well known and respected online store. (So much for doing my holiday shopping online )

I don't even know how Comcast gained access to my mobile devices, in my opinion thibobcats had as any bott  thay claim to fix.

Anyway, I'll try the fixes posted here on my computer. Thanks for posting them. I would really appreciate any fixes for iPodiPad.

Contributor

You can't actually uninstall Constant Guard, with all the fixes that posted, nothing will work. If however you go to the Comcast/ConstantGuard website you will more instructions to "fix" it, but that won't work either. The only option available is to pay someone $129 to "fix" it by phone.

Good luck getting it uninstalled.

New Visitor
rlmwhm

Thank you for your service and for this link.  The standard uninstall procedure gave me an error stating that the uninstall.xml file was missing.  The link worked for me.  Thanks.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi lburrell3,

The only way you would be getting a CG Mobile pop up window message on your Apple mobile device is if you installed the CG Mobile software application to your mobile device.  Is that the case?  What is the exact message?

To uninstall an application purchased or otherwise installed from the iPhone AppStore, simply do the following:

1) hold your finger on either the icon for the application you wish to uninstall or any other icon until the icons on your home screen begin to shake or wiggle (the same action you take to move or re-arrange home screen icons)

2) click the "x" in the upper left hand corner of the icon for the application you wish to remove

3) delete the application from your iTunes applications tab

If you want to re-install the application at a later time, simply visit the AppStore and select the application again.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi wmpbrown,

Please follow these instructions to UN-install Constant Guard:

Copy and paste the following link in your Internet Explorer browser – http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

1. Select “Run” when prompted.
  2. The tool will ask for permission to close all browsers. If prompted, select “Yes.”
  3. The cleaner will note “Completed” when it has.
  4. Restart your computer. It is the Restart which actually completes the software removal

Then follow these instructions to re-install Constant Guard:    

1. Go to www.comcast.net/security    

2. Select Get It Now and then Install Now    

3. Select Download Now    

4. Select Save and then Run    

5. Select Yes when asked if you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer    

6. Select Agree, then Install    

7. Create your master PIN and re-enter    

8. Select and add the accounts you want protected by Constant Guard    

9. Restart computer to complete installation

Contributor

Been stuck in safe mode with networking for 5 weeks.

I used the unistaller, it's useless, ConstantGuard has left something in my registry that forces my computer to reboot about 10 minutes.

When I talk to friends and family about the problem I make sure that they understand that Constant Guard is malware, even Norton Security Suit, Norton Anti-virus and Microsoft support emergency tool can't remove or repair the damage.

Comcast should be honest and tell customers that ConstantGuard can not be removed. Don't install it and don't use it.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi wmpbrown,

The CGPS software application would not effect your computer's operating system.  What leads you to believe it is the CGPS software application effecting your computer's operating system?  What is your computer's operating system?  Are you getting an error message?  If so, what is the exact error message?  When does the error message occur?

Security Expert
CajunTek

CGPS-Support wrote:

Hi wmpbrown,

The CGPS software application would not effect your computer's operating system.  What leads you to believe it is the CGPS software application effecting your computer's operating system?  What is your computer's operating system?  Are you getting an error message?  If so, what is the exact error message?  When does the error message occur?

Then why would so many here in these forums be having issues like this? I wouldn't touch Constant Guard with anything...

TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because ConstantGuard is the only software I've installed in 4 months. No error message, just reboots. Windows XP pro.

After downloading and installing ConstantGuard, I ended up having to uninstall it, spent a week repairing the damage created by this malware sponsored by Comcast.

After uninstalling this malware, I am now unable to install my Norton software, which I paid for.

I contacted customer service, both for Comcast and someone in India who claimed to be an expert with ConstantGuard, neither customer service group was able to assist with repairing the damage created by ConstantGuard.

I was forced to reinstall my OS and other programs; which cost me production time for my home office, I still didn't get the redirector off.

My next move will be to take my computer to a tech, that will cost me around $300 and another day of production.

Thank you Comcast for sponsoring and sharing malware with your customers.

Regular Contributor
ZundapMan

Note that Windows XP is getting toward the end of its' service life.  Microsoft no longer supports it with its' latest browser and only supplies "security related" patches.  I wouldn't be surprised if your computer problems are in part related to the age and useage pattern of your particular Windows XP professional operating system. 

You might be better off investing that 300 in newer hardware?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

I am sorry for wmpbrown's issues, but there is no part of the CGPS installation or operation which could force a restart. We do automatic installs, and the application update does take place after a restart, but we never force an auto-restart. In four months, any Microsoft customer with Updates on has gotten at least 4 updates from Microsoft. As Microsoft moves its base platform to Microsoft .net framework v.4.0 fewer and fewer applications will work and XP customers will see more and more issues. We now have 2 version in release - a version specific to .net 3.0 for customers who are unable to move to .net 4.0 and a .net 4.0 release for Windows 8 customers, and customers who have successfully update to .net 4.0. The issues which wmpbrown speaks of could be related to any number of things - latency, drive corruption, software corruption, a full drive, .net corruption. However, if our software is removed or is simply disabled through the Administrative tools/Services and the issue(s) remain. The problem is not with the CGPS. Since we also bundle Norton SS with the installer, IF the customer is short on memory and drive space and is trying to run CGPS with Norton at the same time, I would not be at all surprised if there was crashing associated with lack of memory, and drive speed, and that could easily lead to drive corruption.

Contributor

I realize that you are obligated to defend the ConstantGuard malware I also realize that the liicense agreement exonerates Comcast and the ConstantGuard developers from any and all damage to computers because of ConstantGuard, however, when I say I didn't have this problem until I after installed this Comcast sponsored malware, that's exactly what I mean.

Microsoft updates do not force a continual reboot. Because of the malware installed with or by ConstantGuard, my computer automatically reboots within 5 minutes of a normal startup; meaning that my computer continues to reboot. Again; I did not have this problem until after I installed ConstantGuard.

As for the Norton software, I'm not able to install the Norton software I have paid for because of ConstantGuard. While installing ConstantGuard I was forced to uninstall all of my Norton products then install the Comcast version of Norton, which I can not uninstall because I have to operate in safe mode, because not all of the os registry loads - that's how I know ConstantGuard is still in my registry, and have been since November 4th.

I have documented all of steps and problems involving the ConstantGuard installation to our local Franchise Authority FCC Community Unit. I don't expect they'll do anything but at least it will be on public record as a formal complaint.

Contributor

Thank you to all who tried to help.  Unfortuenately, I didn't find Constant Guard or CGPS listed in services.  Nor was either one listed in add/remove programs.

I most definately did NOT install Constant Guard on my ipod or ipad. The  Constant Guard image is the same one as on the pc - you know, the large white box telling me I have a bot on my system.  Yeah, I sure do- Constart Guard.

My husband has been very angry about this, calling comcast customer service many times. He is always sent from one number to another and getting noone who will help him.  Many from comcast CS said they never even heard of the problem.  Totally fed up, my husband bought a new harddrive. He installed windows 7 on this brand new drive, and guess what?  There was good old constant guard popping up all over the place. Unless Constant Guard was installed as a part of Windows (doubt Microsoft would ever approve that), the only way CG could get on his computer was through comcast pushing it through the router.  

We   obviously can't uninstall Comcast or deny it access to our router or modem. That would mean bye bye internet, phone and TV.  At this point my husband is threatening to leave comcast and go to DSL.  I am not happy about this, but I , too, am frustrated by this,  I agree with all who say that this is malware - pure and simple.

New Visitor
bshin0108

It works!  And I pointed another similar thread's author to this discussion.  Thank you for sharing.

New Visitor

Hi, I have tried to uninstall Constant Guard, It did not work, but deleted my Norton Anti Virus, Please Help!!!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi NancyB123,

Can you tell us a bit more - such as how you tried to remove Constant Guard and if you are referring to Constant Guard Protection Suite?

Also please check in Contorl Panel Programs & Features, or Add/Remove Programs in XP and tell us if there is a Norton Security Suite listed as installed.

Any addtional information such as probelms you had that caused you to seek removeal of Constant Guard would be helpful.

Contributor

I have installed and uninstalled Constant Guard at least three times and still get message "Failed to create security certificate".  Does that mean I have no virus protection?  I had to uninstall McAfee to get Constant Guard installed.  I have wasted over four hours on CG, and I'm thinking it would be better to go back to something else.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

tingod wrote:

I have installed and uninstalled Constant Guard at least three times and still get message "Failed to create security certificate".  Does that mean I have no virus protection?  I had to uninstall McAfee to get Constant Guard installed.  I have wasted over four hours on CG, and I'm thinking it would be better to go back to something else.

Not an expert on Constant Guard, however McAfee is an antivirus program and Constant Guard is not.  It sounds like you are currently unprotected.  I would suggest you follow theinstructions in this Norton Security Suite FAQ  , including the running of the McAfee Removal Tool, even if it has been removed via the Control Panel.

Let us know if this helps!

Contributor

Thanks for the help.  I'll try it.  But I dont' know why Comcast couldn't have provided this kind of help up front.  I spent over SIX HOURS working on this and ended up unprotected when I was protected before. I am NOT HAPPY WITH COMCAST!!!!!!!  SEVEN phone calls.  Three got cut off, two sent me to the wrong people for the problem.  NONE told me I had to run any "tools" to get rid of McAfee.  I wish I had nver heard of Constant Guard.

Contributor

BTW, I have a son in the AF who is probably going to make a career of it.  I hope they train him better than Comcast trains their people.   :smileyblush:

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

tingod:

The one thing I would add here which USAF didn't mention is the "Failure to create security certificate" message. Unsure of Norton's installation requirements, but CGPS requires the Microsoft security certificate, and if it cannot be created on the computer, then there is another issue. If there is no firewall installed, then I would think there may be a clock issue with the computer. You might want to right click on your system clock in the lower-right corner of the screen, and reset the clock - even if it looks correct - and make sure the date, time and timezone are correct for the current location of the computer. Also, right click on Internet Time, and synchronize the clock to an internet time source like a .gov source.

Although you can install Norton from CGPS IF you install CGPS, you can also install it from www.comcast.net/security - or can go to the CGPS help page and install it from there - just click the Norton icon on the right side of the page at http://cgps.idvault.com/support.

Contributor

Thanks, but I've reset my clock three times too. :smileysad:

Contributor

I will install the Norton Suite.  I really don't understand how I could have SO many problems installing Constant Guard.  I would like to have it, but nobody seems to be able to get it to verify security on my computer.

Contributor

Wish I could help, but Comcast did the same thing to me.  Bounced me from number to number, no one helped, and twice I just got cut off.

Contributor

The really big question is: Why can't I get someone from Comcast on the phone who can walk me thru the installation?!

Contributor

I installed the Norton Suite, now my Administrative Services tool says I'm running Constant Guard.  But it never installed correctly, never asked for a PIN, and still says "Failed to create Security Certificate".  Can anybody help me?  I am SO sick of installling, uninstalling, re-booting.  This should have been a simple 5 minute exercise. 

Contributor

CGPS-Support - Why would the uninstaller not give us a message saying it was already running if that's what's keeping it from uninstalling?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

The "uninstaller" from the Programs/Features control panel simply links to the uninstall part of the installer which is stored in the programs file. If that link is broken, then you would see this. However, you would also see it if your registry is corrupt. It also sounds like you are having a real issue installing the MS Security Certificate. You may be getting through the majority of the installation, and when it comes to creating the certificate, which is the PIN validation portion of the Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) activation, if the PIN can't be validated via the security certificate, then you would be stuck where you are stuck. The software is installed, but can't be activated, and from the sounds of it, you may have a piece of registry corruption as well. Click the cleaner link at the bottom of this message. It will remove each piece of CGPS, but will not remove Norton - if you have already installed Norton. I would really consider using the Norton utilities to check your registry for errors. Usually, when we see issues with the security certificate not being created, it is the clock setting and synch are incorrect for the current location of the computer. The computer clock must be in synch with the Microsoft servers for the certificate to be created. If it is not, eventually the install will just time out. Please run the cleaner, RESTART the computer, and see if you can install CGPS.

Also, if you wish to speak with a support agent, call 1-800-COMCAST, and tell them that you are having issues installing Constant Guard Protection Suite, and ask to be transferred to CGPS support. You can also go to http://cgps.idvault.com/support where you can click the Norton link to install Norton separately from CGPS, and can also create a support request for CGPS.

Here is the cleaner link - make sure you RESTART after you run it -

New Visitor
rd55

I cannot remove Constant Guard

. I have tried everything, including the link posted above. Comcast remover claims it has taken everything, but the folder is still on my hard drive. Any ideas? Thank you.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi RD55 - is there anything in the folder, and have you tried simply deleting the folder? If the folder remains, or actually, if anything remains, it means that there is very likely some corruption in the naming of the folder or item which wasn't removed, associated with the registry. You should still be able to manually remove the item.

If you have gone to your Administrative Tools control panel - to Services, and do NOT see the "CGPS Service," and do NOT see the program in your Programs/Features control panel, the executable file for the application is very likely gone.

See if the folder is empty, and try to manually delete the folder and its contents. If that does't work, send the name of the folder. Our folder is called, "Constant Guard Protection Suite," and resides in the Program Files x86 folder.

New Visitor
rd55

I went to my folder in program files

, but I was unable to delete the folder because I get the error program in use. The Constant Guard icon is still on my desktop. What should I do?

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hi,

Have you tried turning off the program or shutting off the process? If not, go to your Administrative Tools control panel to Services. Find CGPS (Constant Guard Protection Suite) Service in the list. click to highlight it, and then click the option to STOP the service. You can also go to the Windows Task Manager and stop the idvault.exe if you see that it is running. After you have done that, then try running our cleaner again, from the link at the bottom of this message. Also - your statements are a bit unclear. "The Constant Guard icon is still on my desktop." Yes - if you installed the application, there is going to be a shortcut on your desktop, or if you downloaded it to your desktop, there will be an icon there. Have you just tried deleting the icons? OR is the icon you are referring to in your system tray - the row of icons which load when ourcomputer starts up? If it is the latter, then turning off the application and removing it, per these instructions will resolve the issue. So - follow the above instructions to turn off the service IF it is actually present and running, and/or end the process for the idvault.exe using your Windows Task Manager. Then, click the link below and RUN the cleaner utility.

New Visitor
aldosolution

I found an easy way to solve the issue. Go to program file/constantant guard/uninstall. throw the uninstall in the thrash and delete the rest of the folder. problem solved. No need to download a removal tool which might be full of virus. hope this help

Good luck

New Visitor
aldosolution

Also you might want to go to msconfig and disable constant guard too.

New Visitor
Kf4hfn

Very surprised Comcast doesn't have a fix for Constant Guard. Yet They're happy to help to remove their product? Strange.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

[ Edited ]

Kf4hfn - There are posts, such as this one, which are months, if not years old.

There are no real "issues" with Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS), and we release regular client and service updates for the product on a regular basis. There are many, many, many more Comcast customers using CGPS without issue than are posting to this forum, or seeking help through the phones, chat, or the web.  However, if a customer does not wish to use the product and can't remove it, it's also our job to help there as well.

New Visitor
hes3420

i had to contact constand guard via chat and they sent me an email with a link to remove the program....pretty absurd, right?  i hope this helps! 

here's the full message i received in my email:

Thank you for contacting Constant Guard Protection Suite Support.

Please follow these instructions to UN-install Constant Guard:

Copy and paste the following link in your Internet Explorer browser:

1. Select “Run” when prompted.
2. The tool will ask for permission to close all browsers. If prompted, select “Yes.”
3. The cleaner will note “Completed” when it has.

Restart your computer. It is the Restart which actually completes the software removal.

To add information to this support request, please reply to this email. We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Visit our support site at http://cgps.idvault.com/support where you can read our FAQs, open a support ticket online, or chat with a support representative.

Best Regards,
Paul
Constant Guard Protection Suite Support Team