Bronze Star Contributor
angeldeb82

More problems with Norton Security Suite

I have a problem with Norton Security Suite: Today, when I ran LiveUpdate manually, I got the message that "Web Protection Definitions failed to complete" due to incompatibiliites with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  Even worse, I got the news that Norton 360 v. 20.4 was released ten days ago that would fix the compatibility problems with MBAM, and it's so disheartening that v. 20.4 does not apply to the Norton Security Suite I have!  When will NSS v. 20.4 be released?  :catsad:

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: More problems with Norton Security Suite

Hi angeldeb82,

I have never heard of Web Protection Definitions failing due to incompatabilities with MBAM. 

I have not had any LiveUpdates fail since the wide-spread Norton Reputation Revocation List download failure back on June 7th.

Please go to Tasks on the main page of NSS and select Tasks > Check Security History > LiveUpdate > and go to the entry that failed and click on more Details.  Does it say anything about MBAM there - or just Failed to Complete?

Now, the MBAM Free incompatability is a known issue which will pop up whenever you run Support > Get Supoort.   It is simialar to a false positive and you can use the Skip opton to continue with the Get support function.  It is not impacting your protection in anyway, nor does it stop MBAM Free from running.  That said the MBAM Pro can in fact cause conflicts with Norton.

In reality the N 360 v 20.4.0.40 was not released to the general public 10 days ago.  It was released to a few users and then released in a phased manner to more folks in order to track any problems with it.  One of the early situations was that MBAM was still ID'd as incompatable even after the orignial release - there was a Contro Data update released last night that finally fixed the MBAM situation.

This update appears to be no different from past updates in that NSS users normally wait a month or so for the update to reach them - and that's a month after all other (including foreign retail users) have received the update. 

Please double check and let us know if your LiveUpdate History states the fail was caused by MBAM - or you ust happened to get the 2 situations occur at the same time - but different causes.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor
angeldeb82

I thought so.  The fail was caused by MBAM.  Fortunately I clicked "Skip", and when I ran LiveUpdate again, the Web Protection Definitions successfully updated.  Thank you!  :cathappy:

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Glad I could help!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'