New Visitor

My comcast email is sending out messages by itself.

It seems like my comcast email is sending out virus's to everybody in my address book. I have run Norton scans with no problems reported. How do I clean it up?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: My comcast email is sending out messages by itself.

About all you can do is change your password and take steps to keep your login information safe. That would include running a full virus scan on all the computers you use and checking to see that any wireless connections you use are secure. Some links that might help:

Creating strong passwords: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/create.mspx

How hackers steal passwords: http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/05/14/how-attackers-steal-passwords

To change your password: https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/Users.aspx

New Visitor
beechnut349

Same thing just happened to me.  First, remove Norton Anti Virus.  Go to cnet.com and download AVG 2012 Anti Virus.  It is free.  Run the scans and you will be surprised at the quantity of issues that will be found.Then download the AVG PC TuneUp and run.  Norton does not protect, as I just found out.  AVG is used by millions and is free.  Next, I changed my email address.  Yes, it was a large task because I had to notify a ton of people of this change along with banks, credit card services etc.  I was told that my email had been accessed by a hacker.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

beechnut349 wrote:

Same thing just happened to me.  First, remove Norton Anti Virus.  Go to cnet.com and download AVG 2012 Anti Virus.  It is free.  Run the scans and you will be surprised at the quantity of issues that will be found.Then download the AVG PC TuneUp and run.  Norton does not protect, as I just found out.  AVG is used by millions and is free.  Next, I changed my email address.  Yes, it was a large task because I had to notify a ton of people of this change along with banks, credit card services etc.  I was told that my email had been accessed by a hacker.

You may not care for Norton, but advising others to remove it, when Norton is not responsible for the email problem is irresponsible
Hackers usually gain access by obtaining the password from phishing, phoney web sties and socail engineering as well as keyloggers and other trojan programs. Any of the major antivirus programs will catch most trojans and keyloggers.
Were a hacker to breach Comcast's systems, it would do little good. The email address and associated password are stored as a hashed value that is used to compare with what is entered.  The hash value cannot be worked backwards into an address and password so it's of no value to hackers.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

lens172 wrote:

It seems like my comcast email is sending out virus's to everybody in my address book. I have run Norton scans with no problems reported. How do I clean it up?

You don't say if you are using Xfinity Connect for email, or an email client such as Outlook.

Regardless of which you use, change your password immediately and make sure the new one is strong.

How to Create a Strong Password

Check your 'Sent Mail' folder to see if copies of the spam are there.

I imagine the question 'How did they get my password', has crossed your mind. Here is a good link with info on some of the way that passwords can be compromised: http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/05/14/how-attackers-steal-passwords/

Note: Your Comcast email password is not stored on the Comcast email server. Comcast stores a mathematical representation of your combined email address and password. In the unlikely event that someone was able to hack into the Comcast email servers neither your email address nor password would be exposed.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014