New Visitor

Need Service PIN for Norton 360

The problem appears to be related to Single Sign-on (SSO). The adapter that is supposed to redirect to Norton fails. This is likely due to the handling of userids that are not part of the Comcast federation.

My userid is customer@msn.com, not customer@comcast.net, or comcast.com.

The Norton folks downloaded and installed the software for me, but they do not have access to the Service PIN. This is installed at the end of the Comcast download, and resides in the Documents folder.

If someone who has installed via Comcast would kindly retrieve the pin from the Symantec folder in their documents folder, it will be most appreciated.

Security Expert
CWH803

Re: Need Service PIN for Norton 360

33301  I've asked a Comcast Employee to look into your issue.

Why is it that you don't have a Comcast.net Id?  Did you use your msn.net Id to log into this Help Forum?

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Did you find the Symantec folder in Documents? If it's the Comcast Norton, it should be there.

If not, uninstall Norton using Add Remove Programs. Then run the Norton removal tool found

HERE

Next download Norton from http://security.comcast.net/?cid=NET_33_0 and install.

You may have to sign in with your Comcast user ID.

I'm curious, why did the Norton folks download and install the software instead of you doing it yourself from the above link?

Silly question: Do you have Comcast internet?

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 01-26-2010 04:16 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor

I'll try shaking my display too.

Maybe that will work.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It might work, let us know if it does. No need to be snippy. We have to find out what's going on in order to help you. That's why we ask questions. We give advice and recommendations, then it's up to you whether to follow that or not. The reason I asked if you are Comcast internet customer is because the Norton is only available to them. Recently the forums have been opened up to those who have Comcast TV and Digital Voice, but not internet.

So did you find the folder in Documents? Are you sure the Norton installed is the one for Comcast?

Just in case:

1. Make sure that your computer connects to the Internet.

2. Start Norton Security Suite.

3. In the Norton Security Suite window, on the bottom-right corner, click Activate Now.

If prompted, enter your PIN number. Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

• In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\<Local User>\Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

• In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Local User>\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

5. When the Activation complete! message appears, Norton Security Suite has successfully been activated.

FWIW, I was not asked for a PIN when I installed Comcast offered Norton.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor

I'm also curious. Did you happen to read my post before you responded to it? Some people get upset when the auto mechanic haplessly changes parts in an attempt to fix their car. Here it seems the practice is esteemed.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Yes I did read your post. No where in it did you say you looked for the folder. If it's not there, you might not have the proper Norton program for Comcast customers. When a company partners with an ISP to provide a security program, it's usually tweaked a bit so that it will be unique to only those using that ISP.

That is why I suggested uninstalling what you have and reinstalling from the link I gave you.

You probably won't get the pin from anyone here. The pins could be different for everyone, and tied to a certain system or user.

Now that I have satisfied your curiousity, it's your turn.

edited to add: Why are you upset over the fact that legitimate questions were asked and over my suggestion to uninstall and reinstall and over the path to the Symantec folder, if it exists on your computer. Also no need to get upset if no one will give you the pin.
Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 01-26-2010 04:53 PM

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]
Queen-Evie - I can't be much help on questions in regards to PIN numbers as I have a commercial copy of NIS 2010 runing on all three of my machines.  I do have a Norton Internet Security_Key.txt  that includes my Key for activation of my commercial version in the location you mentioned.  So it would make sense that if a PIN Number is required, Norton would place it in the same location.
Message Edited by USAF_E-8_RET on 01-26-2010 09:39 PM

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Email Expert
CCCarole

I am not a Security Expert....Is it possible that the Norton Tech installed a different version than the new Comcast branded version? I did a little googling and read that you must use your Comcast user ID to download & install. Just curious if the Tech used the Comcast Primary User ID or the MSN ID? 

That forum shows the location for the pin for a Comcast branded as here:

If prompted, enter your PIN number. Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

• In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\<Local User>\Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

• In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Local User>\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

CCCarole, I imagine it could be possible that the Norton Tech downloaded the full version of Norton 360 in lieu of the specially modifed version for COMCAST.  If that is the case, then I would think there would be a Key.txt, as I mentioned in the previous post I made. 

33301, I do not know anythng about the workings of the Single Sign On, but it seems to me in order for you to download the COMCAST version of the Security Suite, you should forgo the SSO (If that is possible) and log on using your COMCAST ID.  That would hopefully get you to the correct download from Norton and generate the PIN.txt as well.

33301, I would also recommend you go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Norton Security Suite and then download and run the Norton Removal Tool prior to installing the download you receive by logging in on your COMCAST ID.  Norton Removal Tool can be downloaded from here: http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

33301, I would imagine that the PIN number for each customer is different, as the Key Number is different for the install of similar copies of the same software, ie Norton's Commercial products, Windows OS etc. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
CWH803

I concur with the advice provided in this thread that suggests you uninstall the Norton software using the Add or Remove Programs function, reboot, run the Norton Removal Tool, and reboot again.

Then, logon to Comcast.net using your Comcast.net Id and then use the "free from Comcast" Norton Security Suite download function.

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

333 / op,

are you able to send me your account phone number, best contact number, account number, account phone number and service address?

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Service Expert
Moms_hooked

The OP states at the beginning:

"The problem appears to be related to Single Sign-on (SSO). The adapter that is supposed to redirect to Norton fails. This is likely due to the handling of userids that are not part of the Comcast federation."

They used an MSN userid so must not have a Comcast one.  (I have a friend that uses Comcast internet but does not have a Comcast email.)

It states on our Comcast Security page:

"Comcast customers can now get Norton™ Security. It protects your computer, files and identity without slowing you down. Plus, get the award winning OnlineFamily.Norton to safeguard your kids online - $160 dollar value at no additional cost with your Comcast high-speed internet subscription." 

Perhaps ..."using a comcast email address" needs to be added?

Security Expert
CWH803

[ Edited ]

Moved digression from here to separate thread.

Message Edited by CWH803 on 01-30-2010 02:37 PM

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

hello everyone,

a pin is not needed to download.

please login to comcast.net or security.comcast.net prior to download with your comcast.net primary email address. this is not offered at this time to customers without comcast internet access.

thank you.

George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

In an attempt to get this thread back on the original topic, I wonder if 33301 ever tried any of the suggestions, if any worked and if he replied to Comcast George, or just "gave up" when no one would give him a PIN??? :smileyconfused:

Connection Expert
EG

My apologies to all for the "veer off".... :smileysad:
Security Expert
CWH803

[ Edited ]

E-8_RET opined "[33301] just "gave up" when no one would give him a PIN".

Seems to me his objective was someone else's Pin. That also would explain his derisive rejection of the "recipe help" provided in this thread. 

Message Edited by CWH803 on 01-29-2010 09:21 AM

Email Expert
CCCarole

I did some searching this morning and was able to locate in Norton's help about the Single Sign on issue as well.  I got to it by clicking on security.comcast.net, clicking on 'Help with Norton installation & common problems', then on "I need help downloading & installing Norton Security Suite".  When I clicked on that, the last one in the list is: 

I receive the message, "Error - Single Sign-On: The Subject does not exist in the data source(s)"

Clicked on that and got this:

Error: "Error - Single Sign-On: The Subject does not exist in the data source(s)" when I download Norton Security Suite

You need to use your Comcast.net email address and password to download Norton Security Suite.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I looked and didn't see that Carole. Thanks for posting it.

Email Expert
CCCarole

It took lots of clicks.... I have printscreens of both if you'd like them?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Now that I know where to look, I'll find it.

New Visitor

having trouble down loading norton, anti-viris.plz help
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

keleko51 - Look  here

If this doesn't help, start a thread of your own pertaining to your problem (after searching the forum for similar problems/solutions).  Your own thread will get more exposure.

Regular Visitor

I have never been asked for a pin that I know of.  is this new? I downloaded on my comcast account.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

You should never be asked for a PIN for your CNSS download, however:

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\\Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

New Visitor
ycruzc

Thank you so much for this post. I kept getting the pop up box from Norton to Activiate and when I went to Comcast it says to download Constant Guard. I did not know what was happening to my service! So I found this folder you told me and copy/pasted the code into the box and it worked! Norton is now activated!

New Visitor
johncornutt

Don't want you to think I am upset..I am not a smart computer expert but Norton shows up every time I turn this thing on asking fot the Activation (only takes a minute) and i click on it go cook my supper come back and it's still running...sorta makes me think something.....seems like the whole problem is that PIN #..Think I will follow your advice and cancel it out and go from there....Thanks.....

New Visitor
areymond

I got the comcast norton it was working fine if I had a problem I would reinstall it and yeah sometimes it'd give me a problem with a red x and take forever for it to get in activation but in time it'd work.I've tried the removal tool,ect but still gives me problems.Now I'm just having problem downloading it cause it keeps bringing up a pin page which doesn't give me much time to do so then dies out on me where I got to start all over on it over and over again.I know my pin and if I put it in and hit activation I'm wondering if it will reconize it or just keep staying still and act like it's not going to do anything or just stay there and not notice me clicking it to activate it,ect.Sometimes it takes forever for that page to even show up.It's just really upsetting that I'm been trying to do this for like 4 days cause norton has been giving me trouble and can't figure out what to do.I've done the removal tool.I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it from the webpage,ect.I don't know what to do now.It'll give me a red x after downloading and sometimes take forever for the activation to be reconized for it to even get into it and then if it does just pop up on a page with a pin code and not even give me enough time to do anything.I don't know what to do.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just turned on my monitor to find a pop-up from Norton saying my protection was no longer valid and that comcast had discontinued the service.

So went to the comcast site and downloaded the new constant guard program which then installed a new version of norton security suite. Only issue is it's asking for a pin number. I did a search that said I could find the PIN in documents/symantec. Well it's there but it doesn't work, the norton website where I need to enter the PIN says it isn't valid on norton 360. Help getting this working again Please.

Edit: The txt file containing the PIN shows it was created back in 2011?

Contributor

OK, nevermind. The PIN shows up on one of the instalation pages. I didn't notice it before since there are three pages popping up during the install process.

New Visitor
bdkeys9

Hello All,

I just downloaded/installed Comcast Norton Security Suite. Using your explanation of locating the

PIN, I was able to activate NSS. Thank You! I'm a Comcast customer using Windows XP SP3. 

Barry