New Visitor
TerryKing

New version of Firefox disabled Constant Guard

I just updated Firefox and got an error message saying that Constant Guard was incompatible with the latest version of Firefox and that it had been disabled.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: New version of Firefox disabled Constant Guard

TerryKing wrote:

I just updated Firefox and got an error message saying that Constant Guard was incompatible with the latest version of Firefox and that it had been disabled.

First of all, so that we are using the same terms. Please tell us what you mean by Constant Guard. Are you talking about the entire Constant Guard Protection Suite ( which includes Norton Security Suite) or are you talking only about Norton Security Suite?

Also if Norton Security suite only, please run manual liveupdates(rebooting as requested) antil such time as liveupdate replies "no more updates available".  The reboot one more time.

Please let us know the results.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
TerryKing

Constant Guard Protection Suite is not compatable with Firefox 11.0.  From extension menue.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

TerryKing wrote:

Constant Guard Protection Suite is not compatable with Firefox 11.0.  From extension menue.

Information on CGPS is very spotty  at best - I would suggest you contact Comcast Tech Support

https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/

CGPS is supposed to be compatable with FF 11

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
jmlo96

I would recommend you unistall Norton, and put on Avast free. All your issues will go away :smileyhappy:

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

I would recommend you ignore jmlo96. He appears to be nothing more than an Avast  shill spamming the forums.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Where any compatible browser - IE, Firefox, or Chrome - are concerned, we only release new software after the browser manufacturer has released the final version of the browser. As such, we released our version which is compatible for Firefox 11 after their release, and obviously, before this original post was made. We cannot release "in expectation" of a browser or operating system release. We have tried, and have paid the price in having to re-release due to a last minute change by the browser manufacturer.  So, with IE, Firefox, or Chrome, you can expect our release for compatibility as quickly as possible, after the browser has been released and we can test our product. An example - today - is that Firefox 12 has been released. As such, our next release, slated for this upcoming week, will contain the compatibility for Firefox 12.

New Visitor
TerryKing

All that taken into consideration... Why the error message? Your answer seems rather arrogant in view of the contrary evidence!

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

My apologies if the statement sounded arrogant - it was not intended that way. We won't do a release specificallyfor a browser update if there are multiple enhancements, or fixes, which can be included in the same release. We have found that it is as frustrating for our customers to go through multiple releases and updates as it is to lack a specific function - in this case, compatibility with Firefox 12. We have delayed the May release in order to provide as many updates as possible, and we decided to wait until Google Chrome 19 was released rather than releasing twice for both browsers. We now have a release in test for both browsers, and that release for Firefox 12 and Chrome 19 should be available within the next few days pending the return of the test results. As soon as we have those, we will release the software.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

CGPS-Support wrote:

My apologies if the statement sounded arrogant - it was not intended that way. We won't do a release specificallyfor a browser update if there are multiple enhancements, or fixes, which can be included in the same release. We have found that it is as frustrating for our customers to go through multiple releases and updates as it is to lack a specific function - in this case, compatibility with Firefox 12. We have delayed the May release in order to provide as many updates as possible, and we decided to wait until Google Chrome 19 was released rather than releasing twice for both browsers. We now have a release in test for both browsers, and that release for Firefox 12 and Chrome 19 should be available within the next few days pending the return of the test results. As soon as we have those, we will release the software.

I hope you realize that Firefox 13 is scheduled for release on June 5th.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Our engineering group tracks the browser release schedules. All I can say is that we will make our best attempt to have a compatible version out as quickly as possible post-production release.

New Visitor

When 5/28/2012

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

I cannot answer your question. IF Firefox releases their next version on June 7, we will make every attempt to release a software update that same week. The defining factor will always be associated with three things - will they release on the stated date; will they make a last minute change to their release which causes web application developers to re-write code; and are there additional software pieces to be added to our code in addition to the Firefox compatibility which could delay the release? If the answer to any of the above is "yes," then our release cannot follow the browser release in less than several days - which is when we test our software with the Firefox release build.

New Visitor
nwkristina

I'm still having trouble getting Constant Guard to work.  I had to try several times to get the program to open today, even after restarting my computer.  Finally it opened and let me get into one of my accounts, but wouldn't let me open any other accounts after that even after a computer restart.  I keep getting the message that I need a Firefox update.  When I click "remind me later" it closes the program.  When I click "OK" it takes me to the Firefox add-ins page.  When I search for Constant Guard I get a "not found" message.  I get the same message when I search for Comcast and Xfinity.  Why am I getting this error message from Constant Guard telling me to do something that it's impossible to do?  I had this same problem about a month ago and haven't used it since.  What does your program want me to do if following the link doesn't get me to the required place to do what it asks?  It doesn't matter if I have Google Chrome or Firefox or Internet Explorer open, or none of them.  I still get the Firefox message.

New Visitor
nwkristina

Okay, that was really SCARY!   I tried one more time and Firefox finally figured out what I was looking for on my search (it wasn't on the add-ins page that the Constant Guard sent me to - I kept trying different pages until Firefox understood my search request).  BUT, I tried logging into my credit card account that Constant Guard wasn't working for without using Constant Guard.  I got the page open and Constant Guard asked me if I wanted to add it.  I clicked "not now".  It shut down the web page (did this twice).  So the next two times I said yes and Constant Guard re-directed me to a different credit card site. I finally said yes again to add it and it added the other site.  As far as I know the two credit card companies aren't related.  Why did it do that?   VERY VERY SCARY.  It wasn't until I clicked "never" that I was able to log in to the site I was going to without Constant Guard stopping me.  I have to wonder now if using Constant Guard is LESS SECURE than not using it.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

We prompt to take you to the add-ons section of the browser if we don't see the add-on for the browser. If you get to that site, and the browser helper object (add-on) isn't there, it didn't load. Usually, the cause is that the comptuer wasn't restarted after the installation. We prompt to restart after an install. If you changed the browser, browser version, anything which would affect the browser, you may need to restart to re-enable the browser helper object. We install a new browser helper object with each version. With IE 9, the BHO is active immediately. With Firefox and Chrome, you need to enable the BHO. Closing the browser windows and re-opening them accomplishes this - as does restarting the computer. This is one reason we prompt customers to restart. But - it sounds like that issue has been resolved.

The Credit Card Company - There are cards and banks which are connected. Rather than adding the card account or the bank when prompted at the web site - go to the "Add Financial Accounts" in the account list, and use the search engine. Type in the name of the card, or part of the name, and hit to "Search." A list of cards/banks will appear. Find your card in the list, and click on it to highlight it, and click to ADD. This adds the card account for billing/accounting to the list of accounts stored in the secured accounts list. To actually add the credit card itself to use online, you would go to the Credit Cards section at the top of the Constant Guard dashboard (opening page).

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Heads up folks. Firefox 14.0.1 is now available thru the standard release channels.

The Norton portion of CGPS is compatible with Firefox 14. See here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Firefox-14-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/1348...

Mark Twain

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Thanks, LoPhat. We have the new release for FF14 compatibility in test. We will test with the production release of Firefox, and if no changes are found between the Firefox production release and the last beta, we will release the compatible CGPS version. I'll post here when the compatible release takes place.

New Visitor
PaxTecum

I found a better solution.  Beginning the second I enter this post, I will STOP USING FOXFIRE.  Comcast provides this protection for FREE.  Why would I now go to a pay service. 

BYE BYE FOXFIRE

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

PaxTecum,

Not for anything, but, this is a YEAR old thread and FIREFOX IS FREE..

ciao, bj