Regular Contributor

Norton Antivirus vs McAfee-- which is better?

Wondering what preferences people have for Norton vs McAfee for anitvirus software and why.

I have 1 computer so no network to worry about or routers.

Don't know if a firewall is something I should be worrying about and know different versions of each program talk about it.

Sorry, back to main question- preferences for each program and why? Appreciate opinions, Alvin
Most Valued Poster

Re: Norton Antivirus vs McAfee-- which is better?

> Wondering what preferences people have for Norton vs McAfee for anitvirus software and why.

I don't use either.

> Don't know if a firewall is something I should be
> worrying about

Yes. Especially without a router!

You'll find lots of personal preferences in here. I like AVG AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm Free for firewall. Both have a "free for home use" edition.
Most Valued Poster
Acadia

Norton vs. McAfee, I would say is pretty even steven performance and quality wise, BUT, since you can now get McAfee free thru Comcast it is no contest, go with McAfee.

And definitely get yourself a firewall or else it will not make any difference what AV you use, you'll still get slaughtered.

Acadia
Recognized Contributor

The average time from "connected to the 'net" to "infected by a trojan or worm," in the absence of any sort of firewall, can be measured in minutes, counted on your fingers. The Windows XP built-in firewall is better than nothing (way better), but the freebies version of ZoneAlarm is light years ahead of it.
Most Valued Poster
Naddie1

Hi Alvin

You do need a good firewall. I have one computer and a router, because of the firewall. The hard firewall cannot be beat.
I also run Kerio
It is free after the first 30 days of the full version. I liked it so well that I just kept the free version.
It is also important that you have a good Anti Virus.
Mamoo's listing is good, How ever, with the proliferation of Viruses and trojans I chose to buy one. You can try the full version for 30 days free and then if you like it, it is $40.00 for the first time, and about half that there after.
NOD32

Naddie D
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Security Expert
CWH803

Alvin,

I would choose Norton over McAfee. Another good choice for a smaller resource environment would be NOD32 or AVG, though they didn't test as well as NAV.

Comparative tests of antivirus programs from www.virus.gr April 2005.

Comparative tests of antivirus programs from www.virus.gr August 2004.

Independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software from AV comparatives

Other comparison sites:
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm#rec
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm
http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67
http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.html?http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/home.html
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml

Malware comes in so many forms that multiple, overlapping tools are needed to maximize your protection. I would recommend that you install, update, and run all of these useful protector/blocker and scanner/cleaner anti-malware tools: Anti-malware tools

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Most Valued Poster
Magician

As they are both considered to be world leaders in security, as someone else said, they seem pretty much the same to me. Most of the viruses McAfee puts in their blacklist, Symantec also puts in theirs and vise versa.

Mag
--------------------
Most Valued Poster
DrDUH

You didn't say what OS, But I prefer Norton on the Macs, and pretty much anything but Norton for the PC's

(Personal Opinion)
--

"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak"
Most Valued Poster
Goodspike

> Norton vs. McAfee, I would say is pretty even steven
> performance and quality wise, BUT, since you can now
> get McAfee free thru Comcast it is no contest, go
> with McAfee.

I'm not sure why that would matter. You could always get McAfee for free after MIR.

Personally, I wouldn't use either for the firewall. Zonealarm is far superior to either, and free for non-business computers.

For antivirus, between the two I'd use Norton. McAfee is affected by how you have your Internet Explorer security settings set, and has ActiveX components. That makes it completely unacceptable as a security product.

I've also used the AV product Zonealarm bundles with ZA, and AVG. Both seem good, and the ZA product gives you more firewall functionality.
Valet Park-It Yourself
New Visitor
New Visitor

Honestly they are both alright. Norton came with my Dell but it's such a huge resource hog. Then they wanted $70
to protect me from the 1 or 2 trojans i get every year
I've got a router and from now on i only stick to the free stuff. AVG for example does a great job. Free easy to use and light on my resources i can run a couple other progs in the background. Spyware Doctor another great free program. There is just and endless amount of good free, near free utilities and programs that nobody should really need to pay money for anything.
maybe im just a cheap pirate, who knows.
Most Valued Poster
Goodspike

>There is just and
> endless amount of good free, near free utilities and
> programs that nobody should really need to pay money
> for anything.
> maybe im just a cheap pirate, who knows.

Well, it depends. For personal use there is a lot of free stuff, but some of that same free stuff requires that you pay if for business use. Thus, I pay for ZoneAlarms on my business computer.
Valet Park-It Yourself
Most Valued Poster
Magician

As long as you download the program individually on each computer in your business, it's ok, isn't it? I thought it was... :smileyshocked: (I don't own a business, but that was just my interpretation of the license agreements.)
--------------------
Most Valued Poster
Goodspike

> As long as you download the program individually on
> each computer in your business, it's ok, isn't it? I
> thought it was... :smileyshocked: (I don't own a business, but
> that was just my interpretation of the license
> agreements.)

It could vary by license, but for ZA, no, if it's business you need to pay. I think AVG is the same, but not certain.

Thing is, with ZA you can get their firewall plus AV for not much more than the firewall by itself, so that's a good deal if you have a business.
Valet Park-It Yourself
Most Valued Poster
Magician

Meh, for virus/firewall, I think I'll stick to the paid stuff. :smileywink: Or, with Comcast, the free stuff, lol.
--------------------
Most Valued Poster

> As long as you download the program individually on
> each computer in your business, it's ok, isn't it?

ZoneAlarm, AVG, and AdAware are NOT free for commercial or educational computers; only for your personal computer. I wanted to put them on the laptop my wife has from the school she works at, and all 3 told me "no" when I asked.
Most Valued Poster
Goodspike

> ZoneAlarm, AVG, and AdAware are NOT free for
> commercial or educational computers; only for your
> personal computer. I wanted to put them on the
> laptop my wife has from the school she works at, and
> all 3 told me "no" when I asked.

Wow, now I'm glad I bought the paid version of AdAware. I didn't catch that in their licensing.

Licensing does vary a lot. Last time I checked, with WordPerfect you could put one license on a work machine and one on a home machine. Word, on the other hand, is one desktop, and one laptop only used by one person.
Valet Park-It Yourself
Most Valued Poster
Magician

Meh, well, like I said, they are only on my personal computer, lol.
--------------------
Regular Contributor

Personally Ive had a better expirernce with Mcafee (paid for and also paid and put on all pcs that Ive cleaned)Im thrilled it will be free through Comcast And can only hope they live up to it.
Im hoping to bump this to let others know its free to them. : )