Visitor

Norton Expired

I have the NIS from Comcast installed on my computers and I am getting the message from Norton that it has expired and now I must pay to keep it current??  Shouldn't it renew automatically with Comcast?  What should I do...

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Expired

Are you using a MAC?  If so see this thread:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Norton-Mac-product-announcement/m-p/832651#M779...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

Personally I would not renew as Norton is a piece of junk. You can not shut off the idle time scan unless you every day bring it up, go to settings and then click on silent mode, set the drop down menu to the max which is one day! If you don't do that, your machine will constantly run the idle time scan when you are not using the machine, preventing it from going to sleep. That uses un-necessary electricity and disk I/O!

Every disk has a meantime to failure and this activity increases the chances of a failure!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Stupid100 wrote:

Personally I would not renew as Norton is a piece of junk. You can not shut off the idle time scan unless you every day bring it up, go to settings and then click on silent mode, set the drop down menu to the max which is one day! If you don't do that, your machine will constantly run the idle time scan when you are not using the machine, preventing it from going to sleep. That uses un-necessary electricity and disk I/O!

What happens on your system if you go to Settings > Antivirus > Scans and Risks Tab and under Idle Time Scans, set it to OFF, then Apply????

Every disk has a meantime to failure and this activity increases the chances of a failure!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

I already did that and that is my current setting. I have turned off about every feature it has and the idle scan still runs. Is Mcafee still available?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Stupid100 wrote:

I already did that and that is my current setting. I have turned off about every feature it has and the idle scan still runs. Is Mcafee still available?

Sure - but it is not free from Comcast!

Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts on turning off the idle scans.

I guess you get what you pay for?

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

[ Edited ]

NSS(N360) v5 isn't junk.

www.av-test.org

www.av-comparatives.org

McAfee is, and always has been, junk.

Next to dropping your disk onto a hard surface, turning it on/waking it is the harshest thing you can do to it.  An always-on disk generally lasts longer than a disk shut down daily, not to mention multiple times/day.

Additionally, powering on a hard disk requires more startup current to get the spindle motor to 7200 RPM, analagous to a flourescent light's ballast (leave flourescant lights on, turn off incandescant lights).

Depending on your habits, you could very well be using more electricity whilst shortening your disk's life (as opposed to only shortening your disk's life).