Contributor
Accepted Solution

Norton Live Update "To Receive most current update Must Restart" all WEEKEND

I keep updateing Norton, shortly after reboot, I'm told I need to reboot again toget the latest updates.   Why?

The system is XP SP3 and hasn't had any issues.  Norton Updates and XP updates have applied just fine as a rule.  I've had Norton via Comcast since Comcast moved from McAfee to Norton.  I've never had a problem with Norton (on this system) until now.   The Win7 Pro 64bit right next to it doesn't see any such issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Contributor

Re: Norton Live Update "To Receive most current update Must Restart" all WE

Same problem here in PA; I'm using Windows 7, though.

Norton website won't help - refers me to Comcast.

Very little help available from Comcast site as far as I can tell.

After several restarts, I'm done trying.

I'll check back here tomorrow.

Contributor

Update: I checked my version of Norton Security Suite  -- it's v.5.2.2.3

(I don't have Constant Guard installed - don't like it.)

I found a link here to update to v6.4

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

trying it now...

Contributor

Update:

Norton Security Suite version is now 20.1.0.24

Ran LiveUpdate - 18 updates were found (!) and installed, and now it's asking me to restart!

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Thats correct, you were actually 2 versions behind. re-start and keep running liveupdate manually, restarting as required, until it say's no more updates...If you get any further problems, please post back and I'm sure USAF will be along to help...:smileywink:

Contributor

I'm on v.5.2.2.3 as well.   I'll keep rebooting, but... well, this machine is on pretty much 24x7, rebooting as needed for XP or Norton.  How can Norton be so out of date?  Shouldn't things have been updatint all along?

My Win7 64bit has the same version.  Why isn't it complaining?  Or do I have yet another weekend of this ahead of me?

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Hi Boston,

Yes, for major version udates they have to be dowloaded and installed...If you are one version behind you can just download and install over the top.

Two versions behind as you are, follow USAF instructions here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

(I was too late to give rmosko the link as it was already downloaded and installed. Hopefully it'll work ok).

Contributor

Thanks for the info... 

Venting: 

Why doesn't the current verion at least shut up?  If I have all the updates for this verion, stop telling me to reboot to get anything that doesn't apply to the current version.

I would have updated "over the top" the one rev out of date if I knew <g>   I guess one now has to go check every day to see if there is a major update???  See above.... that would have been a nice place to infom someone to update to the next version.

So I guess I've been wasting my time all weekend.  On 6 systems I get to uninstall and reinstall?  Well, maybe next weekend.  This yo-yo needs to stay up long enough to actually do something.

Contributor

I'm confused by Paraniod's advice.

For me, the install of the new version seems to have done the trick - and with just the one restart required after the install was done (I was wrong before - no restart was actually needed after the updates)

Also, when I was restarting the old version, I checked, and the version number never changed - it was always the same 6 items being updated each time.

I would forego the continuous restarts and go directly to Comcast for the update.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Well, if it worked ok for you all well and good. Your version should be 20.2.0.19 that's the latest....

(after you have run and got all the liveupdates).

Contributor

Yes -, that's the version I have now, and  it's working fine.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Phew...! :smileywink:

Contributor

I just download (without removal first) and it installed to 20.1.x.x and activated.  So this might be an OK thing to try.  I'm on XP SP3 right now, and the updates to (hopefully) 20.2.0.19 are being applied as I type.

Hopefully, my settings are preserved and Constant Guard isn't installed ;-)

There is no desktop icon now, but the toolbar has one still (after waiting long enough.)

Hopefully this thread will help others.

Thanks

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Yeah, the desktop icon and the gadget thing for vista and win 7 has been removed for compatability with win 8.

I guess USAF's method of uninstalling if you are two versions behind, was to cut down on potential problems, but like I said if it works, all well and good.

Glad you both got it sorted....!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi all,

First of all good job Ray - I see they kept you busy today!  :smileyblush:

I was out of commission most of the day - had an outpatient procedure and have a diffeent one most of the day Friday.  Lots of routine tests - but nothing major.

Please have a look at the following thread:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Norton-Security-Suite-FAQ-s/m-p/870723#U870723

The first post are the stickies for the difference scenarios for NSS installs, removals etc.

The second post if for upgrades - notifications of what is new.  This is the best I can do on my own as far as getting the word fo new upgrades out.  Comcast shows no interest in sending this info out to uses - so you really need to come here to stay up to date.  Normally the major stuff doesn't change but once a year or so (as version 5 to version 6 to version 20 - took almost 3 years) - so you do not need to visit daily.

The thrid post currently points to Firefox add-on updates to make the Norton Toolbar compatible with their rapid updates.

As Ray said,  doing an over the top install is fine when you are only one upgrade behind (from v 6 to V20), but a two version upgrade (v 5 to v 20) is best done with an uninstall, run the removal tool and reinstall.  I'm ot saying an over the top can not be done (as it appears it has been here), but it gives you a better chance of succeeding doing it the way suggested.  BostonDriver88 - if yu reun into problems later in regards to updating remind us you did the over the top so we can consider that for a solution - not saying you'll have problems.

So please, come back to the forums chekcing for updates for Firefox and also upgrades for Norton.  I'll warn you now, it is not available yet - but there will be an update (via LiveUpdate hopefully) to upgrade the version number and fix some Win 8 problems with NSS comingin the future.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Thank you, stay well, geezer..!:smileywink:

Contributor
GrannieQuilter1

Yes, and don't know what to do, Norton keeps wanting me to BUY a renewal or update.

That's why I took Norton via Comcast, what does a person do.

I use Windows 8.1  and can't get Comcast to give me an answer?????

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi GrannyQuilter1,

Please see the following link and see if that helps you get it straigtened out:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Info-for-customers-receiving-cautions-that-Nort...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'