Contributor
housefriar

Norton Password Manager/Security Suite doesn't work intermittently

Hello,

Recently it seems my Norton Security Suite is not working as it did previously.  Most notably to me, the norton toolbar often will not come up, or if it does, the password manager function is unavailable through my browser.  This is an intermittent issue, sometimes it works completely fine, and sometimes it doesn't.  Does not seem to be related to my internet connection as it will work/not work seemingly at random almost anywhere.  Can anyone help with this?

System info:

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Toshiba Satellite E205

Thanks for any input. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Password Manager/Security Suite doesn't work intermittently

Hi housefriar,

Please open Norton Security Suite (NSS) to the main page, click on Support and then About on the drop down menu. Please tell us what the version number is.

Also please tell us which browser and version you are using - Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 17.  I am not familiar with Chrome, although someone on here will be so if you use Chrome supply the same info.

Once we have that information we will be able to fiure out where to start looking, but bear in mind this intermittent happening may be tough to track down and we may have to use a shotgun effort at some point in time.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
housefriar

[ Edited ]

When it's not functioning correctly, it won't even let me get to the main page.  It tries to do a scan and then boots me to the help web page, but nothing helps.  Also, trying to use LiveUpdate just does nothing when I open the program.  I've been nervous to do an uninstall/reinstall because I can't back up my passwords since I can't open the program correctly.

Fortunately, I was able to get it to connect now.

Version 5.2.2.3

I primarily use IE 9 (it's the only browser set up with the password manager)

Thank you for your help!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi housefriar,

Hopefully you still have Norton Security Suite opened and remain logged into ID Safe. 

You need to Export/backup your ID Safe Data as outlined in the following instructions:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Export-Import-NSS-Identity-Safe-Data/m-p...

This will permit you to do the uninstalls, cleanup and reinstalls necessary for you since you are on version 5.2.2.3, without having to worry about losing your logins/passwords.   

You are actually 2 major upgrades behind on your NSS - so we will have to get you upgraded before we can work on the FF 17.  FF17 will not work with your current NSS.

Please Export/Backup your ID Safe data and let us know when you are ready for more instructions.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'