New Visitor
greichert

Norton SONAR Advanced Protection ERROR

My Norton SONAR Advanced Protection pops up every day saying I'm not protected. Here's the error message,

Norton Security Suite
Error: 3039, 69639
Windows 7 Home Premium
7601.17944.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333
Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Installation :: Failed

It wants me to install an "NRnR" program. I checked around and noticed that many people have been complaining about this, for one reason or another. Mostly mentioning that it made their results worse.

Can you please explain what I can do to make this "SONAR" work, or should I worry about it, never heard of SONAR before.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton SONAR Advanced Protection ERROR

Hi greichert,

First of all, unfortunately, NRnR tool will not run on Norton Security Suite as NSS is in fact a "clone of N 360", so there are certain difference which makes NSS non-compatible with that tool. 

That said, you can follow the instructions in the following link and accomplish the same automated procedure manually. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

Symantec Online Network for Advanced Response (SONAR) provides real-time protection against threats and proactively detects unknown security risks on your computer. SONAR identifies emerging threats based on the behavior of applications. SONAR identifies threats quicker than the traditional signature-based threat detection techniques. SONAR detects and protects you against malicious code even before virus definitions are available through LiveUpdate.

From the main page of NSS, go to Settings > Antivirus > Automatic Prote4ction Tab > SONAR Protection and click on the ? - thuis will take you to HELP which provides a very good explanation of SONAR.

Please let us know how you make out.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
greichert

Thanks

So basically, I need to uninstall, and re-install?

Do I need this SONAR?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

greichert wrote:

Thanks

So basically, I need to uninstall, and re-install?

Do I need this SONAR?

Yes, uninstall/reinstall accoriding to the instructions I provided.

You are welcome and IMHO, you should not even consider not having SONAR!  It does  protet your system from new threats - which is an all too often occurring situaton.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'