Contributor
GeeDubyaBee

Norton Security Suite Avtivates Every Time Launched

I use the "Run File Cleanup" feature of Norton Security Suite (NSS) on a regular basis.  On one of my PCs, every time I launch NSS it goes through an "activating your service" sequence.  This does not happen on the other.  Both are running Windows Vista.  Any idea what's causing this repeated activation?  Thanks.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Security Suite Avtivates Every Time Launched

GeeDubyaBee wrote:

I use the "Run File Cleanup" feature of Norton Security Suite (NSS) on a regular basis.  On one of my PCs, every time I launch NSS it goes through an "activating your service" sequence.  This does not happen on the other.  Both are running Windows Vista.  Any idea what's causing this repeated activation?  Thanks.

Hi GeeDubyaBee and welcome to the Comcast Forums.

I highlighted the part of your post I feel is important and will refer you to the following link to try to correct it:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080606100953EN&lg=engl...

Although the link says Norton 360 it also applies to the Norton Security Suite you have downloaded from your service provider (same program - just a different name).

I do not believe "Run File Cleanup" has anything to do with your situation.

Please follow the instructions in the link I provided (it may be slow to load - so be patient) and then let us know the results.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
GeeDubyaBee

You're right, "Run File Cleanup" has nothing to do with the problem. The problem manifests itself immediately after launching Norton Security Suite (NSS). I get a window saying, "Activating service," followed by a window saying, " Your service is activated."  I click "Done" on the second window and then I can use any of the facilities of NSS.

I looked at the page you suggested. Step 3 says to, "In the main screen, click Activate Now."  I don't have "Activate Now" on the main screen or ". . . To complete configuration, click Continue."  I don't think this item is applicable to my problem.

Thanks

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

A few questions to try to figure out where we are at.

Once you get NSS working, please click on Suppport (Upper righthand corner of the main page) and then select About from the dropdown.  What is the version number shown?  The most current version is 5.1.0.29

Are the version numbers the same on both of your Vista systems?

How long have you had Norton installed on each system.

Do you have Constant Guard Protective Suite installed on either system?

Does NSS in fact work properly after you go through the activation?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
GeeDubyaBee

To answer your questions:

- The version number on both PCs is 5.1.0.29.

- NSS was installed on 9/28/11 on the problem free PC and 10/9/11 on the PC with the repeated activation problem.

-  Constant Guard is not installed on either PC.

- Other than the repeated activation on one PC, NSS appears to be working normally on both PCs.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate this problem.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for the feedback.  I am at a lose as to why the one system's activation is not working properly, everything appears to be as it should be in regards to it being updated etc.

Are there any other security programs on the bad system that is acting up?   

Are they different from the good system?

Did the bad system ever have any other anti-virus/security programs on it?

If so, what were they?

Did the good system have the same previous AV/security programs?

How were they removed?  Using Programs & Features or running removal tools etc.

I know - alot of questions, but I'm trying to avoid a remove, run the NRT and reinstall if possible - but it is starting to look more and more like that is the answer.

Contributor
GeeDubyaBee

To answer your questions:

Are there any other security programs on the bad system that is acting up?   -  No

Are they different from the good system?  -  No

Did the bad system ever have any other anti-virus/security programs on it?  -  Yes

If so, what were they?  -  McAfee.  It was replaced when Comcast switched to Norton.

Did the good system have the same previous AV/security programs?  -  Yes

How were they removed?  Using Programs & Features or running removal tools etc.  -  Removal tools

Starting to look like a reinstall isn't it?

Thanks again.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I'll  bet you are disappointed - I can't think of any more questions to ask to try to avoid the reinstall.

Here are the instructions I feel will give us the best shot at getting this straightend out:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

Please reply with the results, or any questions you may.

New Visitor
wbmilleriii

I have this same issue.  I have 5 PCs in my home network - a mix of manufacturers and OS's - and only my Compaq Netbook has this problem.  Any time I do anything in NSS it activates.  The activation always works so it is really just an annoyance, but I am always a bit afraid that one day it will fail.  My netbook is  a Compaq Mini running XP.  It is not worth the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling NSS,but if you can think of anything else to try, I would welcome the suggestion.

Thanks,

Bill

Contributor
GeeDubyaBee

You're exactly right.  It not worth the time or effort to uninstall and reinstall NSS to avoid a click or two.  So, I'm living with it.  Besides, there's no guarantee the a reinstall would fix the problem.

Cheers

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't 'live' with a security mechanism known to not be working correctly.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Continual-Activation/m-p/572450#M40809

What does Norton's log say?

New Visitor
morelaj

I have precisely the same problem - is there a solution.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

Hi morelaj,

Answers to the questions asked above would be helpful.

Have you tried all the suggestions in this thread? 

Contributor
wmhermann

I've had the same problems for several weeks with Windows XP.  The Norton Tech Support people (877-272-7149) have tried several times to fix the problem.  Norton Tech Support "took over" my computer and completely removed and reinstalled the Norton Security Suite three times.  The activation problem keeps coming back.  I finally had a Norton Case Manager twice "take over" my computer to fully inspect my computer and reinstall the Security Suite.  They are all VERY nice EACH time and spend an at least an hour per call working on the problem.  But it keeps coming back!  I'm now putting up with the activation window since the Norton Security Suite is still doing its job in the background to protect my machine.  Hope Norton figures this out pretty soon.  The phone call and support is free to Comcast customers.  They have fixed the problem several times temporally but it keeps coming back. 

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

Are all of you using admin accounts or user accounts?  UAC on/off?

New Visitor
wbmilleriii

[ Edited ]

I use an admin account.  Is UAC is meaningful in the context of XP?

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

No.  The OP is using Vista.

When you say "temporarily fixed"; how long is temporary?

Are you using registry cleaners?  (NSS has a reg clean in it, disabled by default)

New Visitor
wbmilleriii

The only default setting I changed was to disable the backup utility, since I use another method.

Contributor
wmhermann

By "temporarily fixed" I mean anywhere from one hour to one day.  The more I "test" NSS by opening the app the faster it fails.  Sometimes I have to activate the application using my pin.  Sometimes it just goes through the regular activation screen.

After Tech Support "fixes" my computer I run the NSS registry cleaner along with all of the other PC Tuneup Tasks.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

wmhermann wrote:

By "temporarily fixed" I mean anywhere from one hour to one day.  The more I "test" NSS by opening the app the faster it fails.  Sometimes I have to activate the application using my pin.  Sometimes it just goes through the regular activation screen.

After Tech Support "fixes" my computer I run the NSS registry cleaner along with all of the other PC Tuneup Tasks.

Bingo - next time you get Tech Support to fix your NSS, do not run the registry cleaner and see if it occurs.

Contributor
wmhermann

Sounds good to me.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

Yup.  Reg cleaners = 95% break stuff, 5% inconsequential.

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

I am experiencing this same issue. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and I am still experiencing this problem.  I tried uninstalling and then using the removal tool then reinstalling and I'm still seeing the popup. However it never prompted me for the PIN.  It just says activing product then your product has been activated.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Running Win7 x64.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ UnknownVisitor,

The Comcast version of Norton Security Suite does not normally aks for a PIN (mine never has) for activation.  You being logged into Comast.net with your primary user account is all that is normally required.

The only time I have ever needed my PIN was when I ran Norton Power Eraser.

I'm a bit at a loss as to what may help you, have you run manual Liveupdate until it returns a "no more updates available", rebooting when ever it asks you to.  Also when you uninstalled NSS, did you reboot, then download and run the Norton removal tool and reboot and then finally get a clean install of NSS and then let it activate and finally run all the liveupdates and finally one more reboot?  I have seen it take up to 6 reboots during the running odf the liveupdates for it to come back with no more updates available.

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I did all of those things exactly that way. I did those things exactly that way twice now and still no success.

I did it with one of my secondary accounts.  Should I try it again with my primary account? But I've installed the suite on the rest of my families computers using their secondary accounts and have never had this issue. So I'm not sure that's the problem.  But at this point I'm ready to try anything.

New Visitor
wbmilleriii

Is there a way to turn off the email notifications for these forums?

Thanks,

Bill

Networking Expert
kevj

At the top of the page you will see a link to My Settings...go in there, and select the Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab, then uncheck the option for 'Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

UnknownVisitor wrote:

Yes. I did all of those things exactly that way. I did those things exactly that way twice now and still no success.

I did it with one of my secondary accounts.  Should I try it again with my primary account? But I've installed the suite on the rest of my families computers using their secondary accounts and have never had this issue. So I'm not sure that's the problem.  But at this point I'm ready to try anything.

I am running out of suggestions.  A seondary account will work if you have it set to full authorization in your mangae accounts section, which you obviously do or it wouldnot have worked for the installs on the other systems.

Just to verify, are you obtaining a fresh copy of the download for the reinstall.  In other words, you are not using a copy you have on your desktop or saved somewhere on you system.

Please also veify you have no Constant Guard Protection Suite or it's components (Id Vault, Guided ID, or the Comcast Toolbar installed on your system.  If so, please remove them. 

Have you tried to clear you cache and temp data?

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

I have used a fresh copy with each install. I have absolutely no Constant Guard Protection Suite or components on my system. I appreciate all the help you've given me so far. Hopefully we can narrow this down and fix it. Don't know what I'll do otherwise.
New Visitor
wbmilleriii

Thanks!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

UnknownVisitor wrote:
I have used a fresh copy with each install. I have absolutely no Constant Guard Protection Suite or components on my system. I appreciate all the help you've given me so far. Hopefully we can narrow this down and fix it. Don't know what I'll do otherwise.

Although it does not appear to be the case, I am curious if you presently have any other Antivirus/security programs installed on this system? 

Have you ever had any other security programs installed, what were they and how were they removed? 

How long have you had NSS installed - did this start as soon as you first installed it, or did you in fact have it working and it just popped up or did it happen after an upgrade?

If it just started and you had NSS installed prior to that.  Is there any changes you made to your system that could have triggered it, run registry cleaner or the like?

I think we need to dig deeper than just the Norton insatll going bad, so as much info as you can give me about your system leading up to this starting may help.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

Look for evidence: what do the Norton logs say?

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

[ Edited ]

I have not had any other product installed prior to this software. Unless you're counting the version of Norton Comcast provided prior to this version. It had a white interface, I believe it was called Norton 360. But other than that, no other anitvirus, antispyware, firewalls, etc.

I have had NSS installed since came as the upgrade through Comcast. So however long it's been out, which is like a year or half a year if I remember correctly. It just happened out of nowhere.

The only thing I've done to my computer recently that may have caused this issue is I flashed and updated the BIOS on Dec 8th. The update went smoothly and I encountered no errors from any programs and Norton was functioning normally.

I didn't run into this problem until Dec 10th, yesterday, two days after the BIOS update and Norton had been running fine prior to my boot up on the 10th. On the 10th when I turned my computer on Norton came up and said my service was not activated and asked for my PIN. I did not have a PIN to enter. I searched around on Comcast for a way to retrieve my PIN but found none. I restarted my computer and hoped it'd go away. On restart it still requested the PIN.

My next step was to uninstall Norton and try a fresh install. So I uninstalled Norton using Add/Remove. I did not know about the Norton Removal tool at this time so I just did the necessary reboot after the uninstall, then downloaded a fresh copy off of Comcast. This means downloading Constant Guard, rebooting, then opening Constant Guard and downloading Norton. I downloaded Norton, installed it, then it activated as normal. This time I didn't reboot b/c it didn't prompt me too. Then I uninstalled constant guard and rebooted as required. It was after that reboot that the problem showed up.

I then went online found this thread and proceeded to follow the steps of proper removal of Norton. I did it twice as previously mentioned with no success.

Also, to clarify, I am aware that the BIOS clock can cause the service to end prematurely or cause problems. After I had finished the BIOS update I reset its clock to the proper time and date immediately. Norton never had any problems on the 9th.

Hopefully somewhere in all that we can find what went wrong. I have a feeling that it's either that first uninstall or something to do with the BIOS update. However, like I said Norton didn't do anything weird until the 10th and I shutdown my computer on the night of the 8th, turned it on on the 9th with no problems.

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

[ Edited ]

When I opened of the logs via the Norton interface I found somethign interesting.  Here's a screen cap of it:

log.jpg

It appears Norton is blocking itself if I'm reading this right.  Maybe that's what's causing the issue.  Any idea how to make it stop doing that without hurting my security?  Should I make a custom firewall rule for it or something like that?

Also of note, the times of these blocks, there are three others in my log history, all correspond with the times that I open Norton's interface. 

Thanks for the suggestion Rolo42. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for all the info and the screenshot.  Am I correct that this is the only system you did the BIOS update to - as you have no problems with the other system?

First off, what you are showing in the log is a Norton Product Tamper Protection event, which is normal and harmless.  Legitimate programs often attempt to access Norton files and processes.  All such efforts are blocked in order to prevent Norton's operations from being disrupted or compromised by any outside agent, legitimate or malicious.  These are not attacks, and Norton is simply logging the events.  The outside programs are only prevented from interfering with Norton, and are otherwise allowed to run normally.  Threats to your computer that require your attention will be announced through Norton alerts on your PC.  Please remember, the Norton logs are simply a record of Norton's activities.

Now in regards to additional info from the screenshot regarding the Actor PID 5184, I have found the additional info here:
http://www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=5184

Please look under this heading in the above link: 

What causes error 5184 ?  It appears this does apply. to your situation.

I have never tried the automated fix tool nor the manual fix, as I have never faced this situation before.  The decision to run the fix is yours and I take no responsibilty for what may happen.

That said, I have never run into a problem updating my BIOS (as I have ever only done it once in the past with XP).  I have been taught to avoid a BIOS update, unless you are having problems, so I really do not have much experience in that area.  Perhaps someone else does and can supply directions to roll back/restore to a point prior to your BIOS update.

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

That does seem to apply.  Says I can fix it either with the patch or try a system restore.  I have a system restore from before the BIOS update so I can try that and see if it works.  If not I guess I'll go with the patch.  Thanks for all the help so far.  I'll let you know what happens once I try it out.  Likely have time to test this sometime tomorrow evening.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

[ Edited ]

There's nothing in the logs about activation attempts?

Did you clear CMOS settings after flashing the BIOS?  If not, do so.  (First, log your settings if you can't remember them.)  Additionally, update your drivers for any on-board/integrated devices (LAN, sound, HDC, USB, etc.) since the BIOS update may require a driver update.

The only risky part of flashing a BIOS is "pilot error", i.e. flashing wrong ROM, not connected to UPS/power loss.  I've always checked for/installed BIOS updates (since ~1995) along with driver updates 2-4x/yr. and I've only had one near-fatality: I flashed a Tiger BIOS onto a Tomcat motherboard and a proper flash recovered it.

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

I did not clear CMOS settings after the BIOS flash.  I didn't think to do that.  I did update the drivers though.  I'll try clearing CMOS and see if that helps.  Thanks. 

By the way, where should I be looking for the logs? I assumed you ment the security history logs.  Is there a different log somewhere else I should look at?

Contributor
wmhermann

After four Norton Tech Support people manually removed NSS from my computer, the "fix" was only temporary.  I finally got to a supervisor (Case Manager) who didn't do a full uninstall and reinstall.  He instead removed just the NSS "activation" folder.  He said that folder was my problem.  After rebooting, NSS requires a new activation and creates a new Activation folder.  You will need your NSS Activation pin.  This worked for me for a while but the Activation Problem did return five hours later.  I removed the Activation folder again myself and am waiting to see if the problem returns.  Your results may last longer than mine.

Good Luck!  

Restart the computer in safe mode.

Click on Start -> Run -> Type the below mentioned words in the Run window.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton

Delete the folder "00000083"

Restart the computer.

Comcast gave me the direct line for Norton Tech Support which is 887-272-7149

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ Unknown visitor,

Just a heads up, in order to run system restore,  you must first disable Norton Tamper Protection, Settings > Administratiive Settings > scroll down (under Product sfety > set Norton Product Tamper Protection to off > Apply > Select a time and then OK.  Please remember to turn Tamper Protection back on as soon as you can after the restore.  Also, the restore may put you behind  on the liveupdates as you are going back in time.  You will have to run the liveupdate until no more updates are avail.  Be advised that if you go back too far, you may very well mess up the install of NSS  and have to reinstall.  Also if you use ID Safe, be sure to backup(export) the data so it is available if you need to reinstall.

Thanks Rolo42 for the info on the BIOS etc.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ wmhermann,

Thanks for the feedback on this and please keep us posted.

Just to verify, a registry clean did not run, either manually by you or via auto-task (at that 5 hour point)? 

Contributor
wmhermann

@ USAF_E-8_RET

To test NSS, I ran all the NSS PC Tuneup Tasks (including Registry Cleanup).  I also ran the Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter.  I restarted XP five or six times.  I left the machine idle to allow the NSS tasks to run in the background.  After hours of thinking I may have finally beat this... it came back after a restart.  I know the frustration many of the people here are feeling.  I haven't been able to figure out what triggers this problem but I now can get at least a few hours of relief.

After reading your earlier suggestion, I DIDN'T run Regestry Cleanup after one "fix" and the problem still came back.  I sent the link to this forum to the Case Manager working with me (he was sharp!).  He didn't think Registry Cleanup was the problem.  He felt it was an Activation problem when NSS checks back with the server.

NSS had been working fine since Comcast first offered it for free.  Suddenly people are having problems.  I'm beginning to suspect NSS changed something on thier end.

I'll keep you posted on whatever I find out.  I'm still working toward a final fix.  I'm curious to see if deleting the "activation folder" works for anyone else.  I also wonder if the folder has the same name on other computers.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ wmhermann,

FWIW - you do not appear to be alone, there has been a report on the Norton Other Products Board of similar action. http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-Security-Suite-Avtivates-Every-Time-Laun...

I am also active on their forums and go by "yank" over there, so if you would like to follow along on that board as well you may be able to get more info.  If you desire, you can alos register and post if you desire.

I have asked Norton for help thru the Norton Forum, so hopefully, something will come about between both your Case Manager and my contacts at Norton.

Will stay in touch.

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

[ Edited ]

Okay I cleared CMOS and this time when I opened Norton it activated but it actually opened my browser and said your computer has been successfully activated.  Then the popup from Norton said done.  However, after closing the program and then opening it again the same behavior persisted.

Should I try a clean install again now that I've fixed the CMOS?

Also, I looked at the logs and find nothing about the activation in there.  Just more of the that one I posted earlier coinciding with the launching of Norton.  Just as a note it's always the same actor and target, but they're PIDs are different each time. B/c they keep changing I'm holding off on trying that patch from the website I was linked too.  If it keeps changing I'm not sure that's the problem. 

I also have not done the system restore.  I'm pretty sure that that would just make it worse at this point.

Oh and what's your reccomendation on deleting the activation folder? Sounds like a decent idea but I imagine Norton would just keep recreating it.  

Anyways, good to here that Norton is getting involved.  Mayeb we'll find a solution soon. 

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

Update

I deleted the folder wmhermann mentioned.  It was called the same thing in Win7 x64.  Though you have to select view hidden folders and it was in C:\ProgramData\Norton\

So far it seems to have eliminated the problem.  I never have and don't plan to run the registry cleaner so maybe this problem won't return for me.  Also of note, the logs I'd been recieving whenever I opened Norton are no longer appearing.  I've opened and close the program a number of times and it no error logs of been generated like the ones before.  Hopefully this sticks around.

I'll update if there are further developments.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for the feedback UnknownVisitor.

I am still waiting on a response from Norton.  Actually, I've got my fingers crossed that you continue doing just fine - as that will give Norton something to go on in regards to trying to duplicate. 

I just looked thru my history also, looking specifically for CONHOST.exe in the Actor and or cltlmh.exe in the Target and I also am seing different actor & target PID's, so at the moment, it appears it best to leave the "FixIt" and System Restore alone.

I'll post back if I get anything from Norton and I will continue to watch the thread here and the other thread on Norton.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Contributor
wmhermann

Update

I'm eleven hours since my last fix.  I ran all NSS PC Tunup Tasks this morning, restarted several times, and haven't allowed my laptop to sleep all day.  I'm re-posting the steps that are working for me and Unknown Visitor so far.  I've included info from Unknown Visitor to update and add support for Win7 x64.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restart the computer into safe mode.

Click on Start -> Run -> Type the following words in the Run window.  (Choose your OS)

WinXPC:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton

Win7 x64C:\ProgramData\Norton

Delete the hidden folder "00000083"

Restart the computer and Activate Norton Security Suite.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ USAF_E-8_RET

Many thanks for the link to the Norton Forum and for everything you're doing to get this problem solved!

Contributor
wmhermann

Oops,  The tab key didn't seperate the OS from the command line correctly in the posting!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restart the computer into safe mode.

Click on Start -> Run -> Type the following words in the Run window.  (Choose your OS)

WinXP           C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton

Win7 x64       C:\ProgramData\Norton

Delete the hidden folder "00000083"

Restart the computer and Activate Norton Security Suite.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributor
UnknownVisitor

I've had a couple of reboots and opened and closed the program a bunch.  Haven't seen the error return.  Seems as long as you don't run registry cleaner this should fix the problem. 

Contributor
wmhermann

I've been going for two days now and run NSS Registry Cleanup along with all the other PC Tuneup Tasks five or six times.  I run the Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter utilities also trying to test the fix.  This is the longest in three weeks my computer has gone without the Norton activation problem re-occurring.

I of course knock on wood every time I post any successes.