Visitor
pramoduwa

Norton Security Suite does not auto-update.

[ Edited ]

I have Norton Security Suite from Comcast but by some reason it never does auto update. Every 3 days i receive warning that antivirus definitions are outdated.

When i check on setting of course auto update is selected under quick controls. I checked antispyware and update tab under Antivirus category and yes automatic live updates and pulse updates both are on.

So,

What i am doing wrong or where is the setting got messed up so it does not do autoaupdate and i get outdated definition every 3 days?

Any insight on this please? Thanks

Edit: Just to Add: I did check task scheduling as well.... and Liveupdate there under tab automatic tasks is also selected.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Security Suite does not auto-update.

Are the time and date fro your system set corrcetly?

Run manual LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to reposnd "no updates available". then reboot, and the repeat the process again until such time as first runing of manual LifeUpdate responds with no updates avail.

Only other way I know of that wil turn-off autoupdate is to change to Manual Scan on the Scheduling Tab of Task Scheduling.  That will actually uncheck LiveUpdate on the Automatic Tasks tab (which yo said was checked)

Please post back with results and we'll go from there.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor
pramoduwa

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Of course date and time are correct. I did just run mannual update until it says "Your Norton Product has the latest protection updates." It was infact only one update before i get that message.

In fact i had done that before as well. I would not know for a while if it is doing autoupdate or not for a while or until there are new updates available or until i get another warning after 3 days.

For your condideration i have attached a link for the screenshot of the task scheduling tab under setting.

thanks.

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/rszp1d.jpg[/IMG]

http://tinypic.com/r/rszp1d/7

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

To tell if your automatic, virus update is working or not, you can check the following:

On the Main Page of NSS, in the lower left hand corner, left click on Definitions Update:  You should get a drop down that tells you info on the Last Virus Definitions Update.  Mine currently tells me that mine was updated today @ 1:57:39 PM  Remember this will also show pulse updates.

BTW, this is not a laptop running on battery power is it?  I ask as AutoLiveupdate wil not run on a laptop unless it is on AC power.

Only other think I can think of trying before going for an uninstall/reinstall is to try AutoFix.  Get suppport >let One Click Support update > Begin Support Session and follow thru the AutoFix steps.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor
pramoduwa

Thanks a lot.....

It is a desktop computer. I just checked it on lower left hand corner (In fact that is where i used to get 3 days old definition warning), and it says definition was updated just few minutes back today. Means its updating now.

And just another quick question, Does this security Suite has residential ( or I dont what is it called) protection? I mean does it has protection for incoming threats before they get installed or infect the computer? I Happened to have a great problem on this computer yesterday and its still bugging me.

I use malwarebytes antimalware Free edition and This security suite. I regularly scan computer using Both of these. I was shopping on amazon.com yesterday and left the computer on that site for about an hour or so. Once I got back and tried to suf around, It did not load google but loaded most of the other sites like yahoo and amazon itself. When i tried to search something on amazon.com it was automatically putting some kind of weird link ( with full url i mean http://.................) everytime i try to type something on search field. I tried to go to google again, it was not loading but showing "IE can not display the webpage" and give the option to run "diagnose Connection Problem". But weird thing is it was automatically running "diagnose connection" window again and again. I was just sitting there and watching. I had to cancel the Diagnose connection program seveal times.

Finally I decided to restart the computer and even after restart the problem on google was same, so, I decided to run Quick scan option on Malwarebytes and it found  bunchs of Malwares/spywares/viruses and of course i deleted/Quarentined them. It asked to restart the syste. But computer could not load beyound the welcome screen for more than 30 minute.

Finally I did turn off computer using power button and restarted. Now its working fine but I still can not get to google. Same error as it was before but it does not load "diagnose Connection Problem" though. All other websites are running fine.

I went to to the Internet Options and added google on trusted sites but still no help.

My Laptop which uses the same Router for Internet has no problem running Google though. BTW, Its just www.google.com, not igoogle.

Any Idea? what might be happening on my system.

If It can be any help I am posting the log of Malwarebytes Scan and removal here.

Thanks a lot.

****Sorry, It's too long post, But I just tried to explain, what exactly went, hoping that will help you exactly what the problem might be.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5501

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/10/2011 10:49:55 PM
mbam-log-2011-01-10 (22-49-55).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 142134
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 5
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 9

Memory Processes Infected:
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\microsoft\lsass.exe (Backdoor.IRCBot) -> 176 -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ACA7DF5E-5EAE-2DC0-4FFB-DEF6CAB4EDBF} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{ACA7DF5E-5EAE-2DC0-4FFB-DEF6CAB4EDBF} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{ACA7DF5E-5EAE-2DC0-4FFB-DEF6CAB4EDBF} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\SrvID (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Local Security Authortity Process (Backdoor.IRCBot) -> Value: Local Security Authortity Process -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Startup (Backdoor.Bot) -> Value: Startup -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Windows Host (Trojan.Agent) -> Value: Windows Host -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Windows Host (Trojan.Agent) -> Value: Windows Host -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run\Windows Host (Trojan.Agent) -> Value: Windows Host -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\data.dat (Stolen.Data) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\microsoft\a1.7z (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\microsoft\lsass.exe (Backdoor.IRCBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\microsoft\n (Malware.Traces) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\microsoft\svchost.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\windefender.exe (Trojan.Keylogger) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\local settings\temp\svhost.exe (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\local settings\temp\windefender.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\Pramod\application data\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

Glad you got Norton auto updating again and I have asked one of our security experts to have a look at this thread.  LPP (LoPhatPhuud) will respond when he sees my PM.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Best to check for malware ---

I suggest you follow the instructions here:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13616

When you have the required logs, post  them here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup

Note that membership at DSLR is not required to post logs in the SCU forum, but it is highly recommended.

Note: No need to install or run MalwareBytes again, just post the same log as you posted here.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud