New Visitor
jkrim

Norton Security Suite doesn't work

I have Win XP SP3 and installed the Constant Guard package including the Norton Security Suite, but it keeps "disappearing".  I click on the icon for Norton Security Suite and it does nothing.  Also, it doesn't appear in the systray upon bootup of the computer.  Does anyone know what is wrong?

Jordan Krim

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Security Suite doesn't work

Hi jkrim,

Please go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and tell us if Norton Security Suite is listed as a program.

Also tell us if there are any other Seucurity programs cureently installed - or have been installed in the past.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor
jamescangie

I am having this same issue on a Windows XP machine.

The issue started after a reboot which applied the latest four Microsoft Windows Updates.

I uninstalled each of those updates one at a time, rebooted and the same behavior exists.

Norton starts but then becomes disabled and you get the Windows Security warning saying your PC is at risk because it can't detect an AV program running.

I have also uninstalled Norton completley using the Comcast Norton removal tool and then tried a reinstall.

I also removed all .Net framework updates and programs to no avail.

New Visitor

I'm on Win 7 Ultimate and I have same problem. Removed it several times with removal tool. restart and try to reinstall and the installer says it is removing files and then wants to restart again. stuck in same loop over and over.. I got it to install once but it wouldn't run after the restart and I had to start the whole process over.

What is going on?????

Visitor
jamescangie

I'm back in business now.

I let all the windows updates re-install that I removed in the earlier steps.

I removed Norton from Add Remove Programs, rebooted.

I downloaded the Norton removal tool at  http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=partner&pvid=&docurl=20, ran it, rebooted.

I downloaded a fresh copy of Norton at :http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/ ran it and it installed fine, rebooted.

It came back up and appeared to be doing the same thing, it was disabled, received the Windows no AV warning message.

I then clicked on the Norton icon in the system tray and there was an Activate button present. Clicked it, product activated and all is well now.

I'm honestly wondering now if I just needed to re-activate the product.

New Visitor
jkrim

Yes, Norton Security Suite is listed in the add/remove programs.  As for some of the other suggestions, it would be great it all it took was to re-initialize it, but I first of all there isn't a sytray icon to click on, and second of all any attempt to click on either the desktop icon or from the "all programs" results in nothing.

So, back to square one.  Why is it disabled if it's in the add/remove programs?

Visitor
jamescangie

Actually, my symptoms were very similar. I can remember clicking the Norton icon in the system tray that was sort of grayed out (i.e. the checkmark that is normally green was gray) and nothing happened.

I actually ended up doing a total of two uninstalls and reinstalls before I was able to see that Norton Activate button.

I even ran a couple of overnight scans using Malware Bytes and the Microsoft system scanner but nothing was ever found.

I also ran CCleaner a few times to clean up the registry.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

To whomever is still having this problem with activation/loop etc.

For those with the "gray check mark" in the system tray, this gray check normally indicates a conflict between NSS and another security program running in real time, some known programs that conflict are MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, SpyBot S & D (with the Tea Timer service enabled), MSE other AV prgrams etc.  If any of these are installed please remove them first before proceeding with the suggestion below.

It sounds like somehow your Norton Security Suite install is in fact corrupt and or when you attempted to remove it, the uninstall was corrupted.  Please follow the instuctions in the following link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit....

Please click on the No Thanks button in the pop-up for Constant Guard Protection Suite.  This will reveal the Get It Now Button which will start your download of NSS.

Also lease run the Liveupdate(rebooting each time as requested) until the "no more updates available" is the LiveUpdate response.  Be pateinet - it can take as many as 10 reboots.

Please keep us informed.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
jkrim

Norton was the root of al the problems on this computer.  I couldn't access anything via Internet Explorer although Firefox was fine, but when I tried to download the Norton Removal Tool via Firefox I couldn't so I downloaded on another machine via Firefox and copied to the problem machine.  I then ran it and afterwards, now IE8 works fine. Spybot refused to update before removal (because obviously it was using IE settings to access the Internet) and now it alos works good.  Having many years of PC experience, I will probably never install Norton again as it seems to create more problems than solve.

Jordan

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

jkrim wrote:

Norton was the root of al the problems on this computer.  I couldn't access anything via Internet Explorer although Firefox was fine, but when I tried to download the Norton Removal Tool via Firefox I couldn't so I downloaded on another machine via Firefox and copied to the problem machine.  I then ran it and afterwards, now IE8 works fine. Spybot refused to update before removal (because obviously it was using IE settings to access the Internet) and now it alos works good.  Having many years of PC experience, I will probably never install Norton again as it seems to create more problems than solve.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

It sounds like you actually had a corrupted install of NSS - or a corrupt removal - leaving the entry in Add/Remove Programs and either the install was so corrupted, or the uninstall was so far along that trying to start the NSS failed because parts of it (but not all)  were removed.

The running of the Norton Removal Tool appears to in fact have cleared out any digital debris that may have been causing the  situation. 

I would guess it is possible that some of the corrupted settings were in fact in the firewall area of the install/removal, which blocked the internet connection.

So is just Norton installed now - or do you still have CGPS installed as well?

New Visitor
jkrim

Nither CG or Norton is installed.  As I said,  I think I will not install these on this particular computer because they cause more problem (slowness etc.) then is worth it.

Jordan

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

jkrim wrote:

Nither CG or Norton is installed.  As I said,  I think I will not install these on this particular computer because they cause more problem (slowness etc.) then is worth it.

Jordan

Jordan,

That is fine - if/when you decide to install something else, please run the Norton Removal Tool from here to ensure complete removal of Norton and also this tool to remove CGPS totally. 

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe