Regular Contributor
songbird72

Norton Security Suite protecting Xp Computer after next April 14th

I am on SS Disability and have an XP Computer.  Cannot afford to buy a new one.  Next April 14, 2014, Microsoft is retiring XP.  I will no longer be able to get updates or protection from viruses, etc.  Will Norton still protect me or will I have no protection at all?  My brother who is a business manager in Texas, told me not to do any banking or anything with my secure information online after that date.  Then, I will have to stop paying my bill online and do paper billing, which will make my check late every month.  Last time I mailed a check in it took 10 days to get there and all my triple-play services were disconnected.  I had to pay $25 for each service to be cut back on.  Help!

Regular Contributor
songbird72

Re: Norton Security Suite protecting Xp Computer after next April 14th

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

76477-OEM-0011903-00101
Computer:  AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
2.16 GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM

My due date is the 3rd of each month so I pay online since I don't get my SS check until that morning.  If I have to send in a check snaii mail, it will take 10 days to get to the office or before it is deducted from my checking account.  I have asked Billing to change my due date and they say they cannot.  To pay your bill by phone costs $35 which I cannot afford.  Then, the new bill is done on the 13th and until the 3rd of the next month I am past due every month.  What do I do?  Have continuous late fees.

Regular Contributor

You will still be protected by Norton. As far as I know, it will continue to be updated and will support XP well into the future.

You will miss out on any Windows XP security updates from Microsoft. Assuming you are careful with your web brosing, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Your computer specs seem to be good enough to run Windows 7. If you can find an inexpensive copy of it, you might think about upgrading your compuer to it without replacing the entire computer.

Regular Contributor
songbird72

Thank you!  I checked at Staples down the street from me and it costs $210.  Would have to save for that.  Don't know where else to look but will see.  Guess I would also have to buy one of those external thingies to save things from my computer on?  Those are also expensive but I have cd-Rom's.  Guess that would work too. 

Regular Contributor

You can buy Windows 7 online from Newegg for $100.00.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116983

Yes, you should backup your data before doing the upgrade because Windows 7 will not seemlessly upgrade from Windows XP. It will basically wipe your hard drive and then install itself. You will need to backup and restore your data yourself (you should be doing that already!). Depending on how much data you have, you could use a USB drive. They are available in capacities up to at least 64GB for less than $50 (also from Newegg) so that isn't too much more expense.

Here's some information from Microsoft on upgrading from XP to Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor
songbird72

Thank you so much for all the information.  My Norton Security Suite with Comcast already has backup as one of its services and automatically backs up my system.  It even does it if I am idle for a while.