Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎01-17-2005

Norton Security Suite version 5

Just wondering why version 5 has not been made available yet?

I would like to update & take advantage of the new features.

Thanx.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 5,045
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

That was discussed here about 2 weeks ago.

 

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Version-5/m-p/874367#U874367

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎01-17-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

[ Edited ]

Thank you for responding

Yeah I saw that, I was looking for a more current official explanation.

There is No reason it should not be released the same time Norton released their version.

Other then to save Comcast money.

Considering what I pay Comcast, I would like it when Norton releases it.

After all, other then limiting a few worthless features, like Norton annoying backup, etc.

There is no reason it should be held back.

They work with Norton, they knew it was coming, so? No possible excuse really.

I don't want to be stuck with an old version just because of Comcast.

If they say they are going to supply this, then that's what they should do!

Thanx again though.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 5,045
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5


Bobb wrote:

Thank you for responding

Yeah I saw that, I was looking for a more current official explanation.

The Official Explanation was given  and remains unchanged since the first Norton upgrade about a year ago.  It was agreed by the powers that be(Norton/Comcast) that the Comcast version would be upgraded at some point after all the commerical products were offered the update.  Please remember the English version is the first to get the upgrades and then all the other languages must be upgraded. 

 

There is No reason it should not be released the same time Norton released their version.

You have to remember there are changes that have to be made to the commercial English release to become the Comcast Version.  In fact, Norton 360 V 5 is a different program than Norton  Security Suite V 5 (which hasn't been released yet)  Although very similar Norton treats them as different programs.

 

Other then to save Comcast money.

 

I'm not sure how/why you say it saves Comcast money.  On the commercial side, anyone who has a valid Norton 360 license that is still in effect,  can upgrade their product and Norton will honor the remaining days on the license.  So those who have the commercial 360 V 4 and whose license is current, can upgrade to V5 free of charge and still keep the days remaining on the license.  So there is no additional cost to Comcast to upgrade to V5.

Considering what I pay Comcast, I would like it when Norton releases it.

After all, other then limiting a few worthless features, like Norton annoying backup, etc.

There is no reason it should be held back.

 

I am sure those who pay for their product licenses but use a language other than English would like the upgrade as soon as it is released in English, however there are other changes that must be made to their products also - like the language change, which not only changes the text in Help/etc. but also changes the language in the graphics. I can see where Norton wants to upgrade those paying customers rather than the Comcast folks who are "getting it free from Comcast"

 

They work with Norton, they knew it was coming, so? No possible excuse really.

 

I think the excuse may be the way the original contract was written between the two companies.  This is the way it was contracted and that's the way it is going to be.

 

I don't want to be stuck with an old version just because of Comcast.

 

I hate to say this, but you do have the option to purchase the commercial Norton 360 and you'll be able to upgrade to Version 5 as soon as it is released. In reality, the biggest change was in the engine - it has been upgraded to the same engine as NIS 2011 has been using somewhere around Sept 2010 - so in fact you have been using an older version than Norton had available - it just had not been incorporated in 360 yet.  That said, Norton Internet Secuirty is always upgraded prior to Norton 360.  NIS 2011 is normally upgraded in the fall and Norton 360 "catches up" the following spring.....and Norton Security Suite from Comcast follows behind both. 

One other thing in this area, bear in mind that regardless of the version (4 or 5), you are still receiving the latest virus, anti-spam, firewall and cloud updates available.  Thus your protection is not suffering.

 

If they say they are going to supply this, then that's what they should do!

 

It will be supplied, when it is "our turn".  I know everyone wants the latest and the greatest sooner rather than later, but I can wait a month or so to save the normal $79.99 cost of a one year license for Norton 360.

 

Thanx again though.

 

You are welcome and I hope you do nottake this reposnse the wrong way.  I am trying to explain things to you in hopes that you and others will understand that we (yes I am a Comcast customer also and not a Comcast employee) may have to wait for the upgrade, but will receive it and we pay nothing over and above our "normal Comcast bill" to receive this product.


 

Now, one more thought.  Some folks wait to install updates to programs or even OS's to see if anyone else has problems with them and to see if the companies responsible will provide fixes to any problems encountered.  Once the fixes come out and everyone is happy with the updates - then those folks who waited, install them - and hopefully have avoided the problems encountered by those who installed them immediately.

 

I guess one could also look at the wait involved with the Comcast V5 upgrade in the same way.  Thus the wait may be desireable to some folks.

 

 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
limesarehot
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-08-2011

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

[ Edited ]

Spoke with a comcast / norton rep.. they said v5 will be released in april.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎10-22-2008

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

I'm OK with waiting a month or two after the "official" Symantec release to get it through Comcast. Even after beta testing there are invariably still a few bugs that need to be worked out. Hopefully, the version we get through Comcast will be even more bug free than what Symantec released originally.

 

I'm just so glad we have this available at all. I have been a loyal Symantec/Norton user for many years (yes, even the "bloatware" years) and am very happy to get this product for no charge through Comcast vs. paying for it like I did for years. Plus, it is far superior (IMHO) to the McAfee suite that was being offered previously. Thanks Comcast!

Regular Problem Solver
Posts: 439
Registered: ‎06-27-2006

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

How will Comcast users be notified when version 5 of  NSS is released ?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 5,045
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5


corgi11 wrote:

How will Comcast users be notified when version 5 of  NSS is released ?


In the past our Admin has notified us via an announcement on the Security Board on the forums. 

 

It took a long time for those folks who did not frequent the forum until they had a problem to be informed and perform the upgrade.

 

I will get in contact with our admin and request the assistance of Comcast Security team in coming up with a method to notify all users - I'm thinking along the lines of a mass e-mail to all - you know - like the Constant Guard Announcement.

 

.........but as always - no promises!:smileywink:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎10-22-2008

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

I could be "misremembering" this but I thought that the update from CSS Version 3 to Version 4 occurred either automatically or after running LiveUpdate from within CSS. So, I would think that if they can make it happen automatically, that would be best, as people will often ignore an email, even one with important security information.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 5,045
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Hi Ed,

 

An upgrade of NSS - as in from Version 4 to Version 5 has to be downloaded and then installed.  They are claiming over @ Norton that you can install it over your current V4 Install.  However if there is anything wrong with your current install, then you should export your Identitiy Safe data, remove Version 4 thru add/remove, run the Norton Removal Tool and then get a fresh download of Version 5 and install it.  Once installed, Import your Identity Safe data and then run LiveUpdate until it comes back saying no more updates available.

 

Complete instructions can be found here:http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit....  This link is also available thru the NSS FAQ's @ the top of this board.

 

 

I do believe your recollection of using LiveUpdate was when an update to the current version was made.  Going from 4.1. to 4.3.  Basically upgrades require a new download and install and updates do not. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎10-22-2008

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

OK, thanks for the clarification. 

 

Hopefully Comcast will find some way to notify us when Version 5 is available.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎01-17-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Ok, it's friggin April 12th!

Where is the update?

Does anyone from Comcast actually respond to these posts?

I don't need a response from people that just Hang out here all the time.

That have no more info then I do.

Just from Comcast Actual!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 5,045
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5


Bobb wrote:

Ok, it's friggin April 12th!

Where is the update?

Does anyone from Comcast actually respond to these posts?

I don't need a response from people that just Hang out here all the time.

That have no more info then I do.

Just from Comcast Actual!


I am sorry that you consider me just "hanging out" here all the time.  I will admit I can find better things to do - such as help those who really come here for help and recieve it, than respond to your demanding posts.

 

I have advised our admin of your post and suggest you continue to monitor this thread for his reposnse.

 

BTW, any RED user names you see on this forum are Comcast employees, and perhaps we do have more info than you do, but have been asked not to post it until it is official!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud
Posts: 2,805
Registered: ‎11-01-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Bobb,

 

Please do not shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. Norton (Symantec) develops NSS v5 and they are the only ones that can give you an authoritative answer on when it will be released to Comcast and it's customers.

 

Any questions or complaints about the release date should be addressed to Norton in the Norton - Other Profucts support forum.

 

 



"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Regular Contributor
Posts: 52
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Actually the folks at Norton says that it's up to the folks at Comcast to set the date and notify its customers.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud
Posts: 2,805
Registered: ‎11-01-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

That is true to a point. Norton still has to develop the program and release it to Comcast. The question to ask Norton is when will it be delivered to Comcast. I doubt, however, that you would get an answer to that from Norton.



"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Regular Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎01-17-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Man c'mon, don't make this so complicated.

All they have to is disable anything we dont get in the Comcast version!

LIke Norton annoying Backup.

The reason we are waiting period! Is it saves Comcast money the longer

they stay with the older version.

No big mystery or debate.

When someone or something says they are going to do or provide something I hold them to that!

No lame little waiting games, etc.

They say they will provide security software, fine! Then do it!

Everyone knows, update update update!

Especially security software! Right? 

We are not being allowed to do that, because Comcast is cheap! Period.

And I wasn't shooting any messengers!

I just think it's pathetec that No Comcast people apparently answer or provide any info in this forum!

I mean really, what is the point of the forum if Comcast has no involvement?

 

Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎09-09-2006

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

April is April until it's May.

Connection Expert
JamesR
Posts: 6,423
Registered: ‎09-29-2007

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5


Fanatic wrote:

April is April until it's May.


 

There is truth in what you say.

 

Connection Expert
JamesR
Posts: 6,423
Registered: ‎09-29-2007

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

I understand that you are frustrated and have your own view of how this venue should function. It's not really all that complicated.  This is a Customer to Customer Forum following the pattern of the Company provided  Forums that I am familiar with. (Verizon and Motorola come to mind)

What we do here is to walk a poster through the issues that are under local control.  This then fives the Poster leverage in focusing Comcast technicians on specific causal factors which will hopefully lead to satisfactory solution.  It would be good if you would formulate a question that the Experts in this venue can respond to.

For urgent issues Comcast can be contacted directly via Email, Chat, Twitter and Telephone.

 

 

 

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎07-01-2010

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Unfortunately, we do not have timing available to share regarding this release. Once it is available, you will be notified via messaging on your machine.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Regular Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎01-17-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Wow, what a revelation! I'm just awestruck with the great info :smileywink:

That was so helpful, jeez, I feel so much better now.

Thanx.

 

Connection Expert
JamesR
Posts: 6,423
Registered: ‎09-29-2007

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5


Bobb wrote:

Wow, what a revelation! I'm just awestruck with the great info :smileywink:

That was so helpful, jeez, I feel so much better now.

Thanx.

 


You are cettainly welcome.  I am really sorry the information that you received from the Forum Administrator was not to your liking.  I of course, noticed that you were somewhat sarcastic in your rsponse. Just a heads up.  Rusdenes works in the newsgroups and the Community forums but this is a Help and Support forum populated by Customers who volunteer their time to assist other customers with their issues, so sarcastic digs at the Mo nolith Comcast are a waste of time.

Bottomline, your question, Asked and answered "ETA not available at this time"

Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎09-09-2006

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

Bobb seems to be a bit of a Richard if you ask me.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud
Posts: 2,805
Registered: ‎11-01-2005

Re: Norton Security Suite version 5

The orginal question has been answered at least  twice and now this thread is deteriorating.

 

This thread is now locked.



"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014