Contributor
fanciladi
Accepted Solution

Norton Security Suite won't open.........

I just downloaded the Norton Security Suite an the desktop icon says 'no connection'.  I have tried to open the program and it won't open at all.  It seems to try, but it won't open.  Any ideas???

Constant Guard opens and says that the Security Suite is installed and I'm protected, but even after re-booting, it don't open, plus there is no icon on the taskbar....

Thanks! 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Security Suite won't open.........

Hi fanciladi,

Which antivrius/security program(s) did you haveinstalled prior to installing Norton? 

How were they removed?  By theinstallaton of Norton, via Control Panel ans/or via ocntrol panel and the running of that product's  removal tool?

Any other security program runningin real-time needs ot be removed rior to installing Norton to avopid conflicts.

We'll be waiting on your response.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
fanciladi

I removed the Norton Internet Security by the uninstall in the control panel.  I then ran the 'removal tool', and installed Norton Security Suite.  Wondering if I should do it all over again...uninstalling the NSS and then the 'removal tool' and install NSS again...

Thanks...

Contributor
fanciladi

Oh...I'm not running any other security program that I can think of...I do have Malwarebytes running! 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

fanciladi wrote:

Oh...I'm not running any other security program that I can think of...I do have Malwarebytes running! 

Pro or Free version?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
fanciladi

It's the one I paid for...I bought the license.  Also, I have the Constant Guard, that shouldn't be a problem, should it? 

When I open an Internet Page it get a notice:  Website Wants to Open and it's from LicMgrEP...StrikeForce Technologies, Inc.  I haven't allowed it to open...so is that where I'm going wrong?

Also, when Norton tries to do something I get a 'fix' option and I click on that and it says it fixes it, then I need to reboot. 

I'm open to any help possible...I don't claim to be any Computer Whiz at all...  :smileyhappy:

Thanks...

Contributor
fanciladi

I just got the Norton Error:  8504, 101  I'm wondering if it's trying to update and can't. 

Contributor
fanciladi

OK...I just looked in my control panel under programs uninstall/change and found some other Norton stuff that I'll list with the dates...wondering about these...

Norton PC Checkup dated 4-12-22 Symantic Corp.

Norton PC Checkup dated p-31-12 NortonLive Services

Norton Online Backup dated 7-20-11 Symantic Corp.

Plus the one I just installed that I want:

Norton Security Suite 9-9-12 Symantic Corp. 

Not sure if any of this is a help for my problem....if I should uninstall the 3 others and I thought the removal tool would have taken it all out....or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...lol.......

Thanks........

Contributor
fanciladi

I just finished following the steps for the second time removing Norton Internet Security, running the removal tool, and installing Norton Security Suite.  This time it seems to have worked, thankfully.  NSS seems to be working like it does on my other computers, so that's good! 

Hope this did the trick and it stays installed  :smileyhappy:  !  If not, I'll be back for help again. 

Thanks again for your help and on my previous question that you resolved for me a couple of days ago!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

fanciladi wrote:

It's the one I paid for...I bought the license.  Also, I have the Constant Guard, that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

I would suggest you disable the Real-time protection in MalwarebytesAnti-Malware (MBAM) and only run it as an on demand scanner.

When I open an Internet Page it get a notice:  Website Wants to Open and it's from LicMgrEP...StrikeForce Technologies, Inc.  I haven't allowed it to open...so is that where I'm going wrong?

Strike Force Technology provides a program (Guarded ID I beleive) that is part of Constant Guard Protection suite. 

Also, when Norton tries to do something I get a 'fix' option and I click on that and it says it fixes it, then I need to reboot.

The fix option is triggered is most often triggered by a cooruption or other glitch in the installation of Norton security Suite....and is actually working as it should. 

I'm open to any help possible...I don't claim to be any Computer Whiz at all...  :smileyhappy:

Thanks...

fanciladi wrote:

I just got the Norton Error:  8504, 101  I'm wondering if it's trying to update and can't.

This error is not surprising, as it can be caused by a conflict with another security program, possibly (MBAM)

fanciladi wrote:

OK...I just looked in my control panel under programs uninstall/change and found some other Norton stuff that I'll list with the dates...wondering about these...

Norton PC Checkup dated 4-12-22 Symantic Corp.

Norton PC Checkup dated p-31-12 NortonLive Services

Norton PC Checkup is a program downloaded either separately or as a bundle with updates to Adobe Flash, provided to enable users to perform a system checkup of their Microsoft Windows based personal computer. It was launched by Symantec in October 2008.

Norton Online Backup dated 7-20-11 Symantic Corp.

The above is actually a trial program that comes installed on some new systems.

I do not believe any of these are causing your problem and if no reoccurence of your problem we'll leave them three for the time being.

Plus the one I just installed that I want:

Norton Security Suite 9-9-12 Symantic Corp.

That's good it appears installed. :smileywink:

Not sure if any of this is a help for my problem....if I should uninstall the 3 others and I thought the removal tool would have taken it all out....or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...lol.......

The Norton Removal Tool does not remove every single Norton Program.  The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.

Thanks........

fanciladi wrote:

I just finished following the steps for the second time removing Norton Internet Security, running the removal tool, and installing Norton Security Suite.  This time it seems to have worked, thankfully.  NSS seems to be working like it does on my other computers, so that's good! 

Glad it appears sorted.

Hope this did the trick and it stays installed  :smileyhappy:  !  If not, I'll be back for help again. 

You know where to find us!

Thanks again for your help and on my previous question that you resolved for me a couple of days ago!

You are most welcome!

Contributor
fanciladi

I appreciate all of my questions and comments being answered.  I printed it up for future reference....

Thanks again...

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Do you know how much a "thank you" is worth?  Very much appreciated!

New Visitor
tweety214u

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

I tried all the options.

1. Uninstalled norton from CP.

2. Uninstalled with Norton removal tool.

3. Uninstalled with Norton removal tool in safe mode.

4. When i install it from constant gaurd, it seems to be working. After i do the live update and system starts asking to restart. then after restart Norton does not seem to work and i dont get the icon on task bar as well.

5. I did run full system scan with Norton Anti virus before restarting and also ran Malware.

Any help would be greatly appericated.

Regards

New Visitor
tweety214u

Constant gaurd protection suite says Norton Security suite is installed and protected. but if i try to scan any thing it gives error with internal problem occured.

not sure what is wrong. Can some one help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi tweety214u,

Are you by chance on a Lenovo system? 

If so go to Control Panel and see if there is a program named RapidBoot installed.  If there is uninstall it and see if Norton works.

Let us know how you get on.

New Visitor
tweety214u

Hi,

No i am not on Lenvo systems its DELL.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

tweety214, you said you also ran malware - please let us know if you are talking about Malwarebyte Anti-Malware (MBAM) and if you used the Free or Pro edition?  The Pro runs in real-time and can casue conflicts with Norton.

Do you have any other security programs in stalled?  Which ones?

Please tell us if this is an initial install,  an upgrade or a reinstall after a problem with Norton?

Also you said "icon on task bar" - are you talking about the System Tray (lower right corner by the clock)?

Can you run any LiveUpdates?  Do they wropk if a reboot is not required?  what I mean is can you run LiveUpdate, it updates and does not request a reboot and then can you run LiveUpdate again?

we'll be waiting on your reposnses.

New Visitor
tweety214u

tweety214, you said you also ran malware - please let us know if you are talking about Malwarebyte Anti-Malware (MBAM) and if you used the Free or Pro edition?  The Pro runs in real-time and can casue conflicts with Norton.

its a free version not pro edition.

Do you have any other security programs in stalled?  Which ones?

No only Norton

Please tell us if this is an initial install,  an upgrade or a reinstall after a problem with Norton?

re-install after a problem with norton.

Also you said "icon on task bar" - are you talking about the System Tray (lower right corner by the clock)?

Yes the icon at the lower corner on task bar. It goes away after I install norton 360 and restart the computer. and after restart Norton does not seem to work.

Can you run any LiveUpdates?  Do they wropk if a reboot is not required?  what I mean is can you run LiveUpdate, it updates and does not request a reboot and then can you run LiveUpdate again?

No, Live updates need to restart the computer. so, i just installed Norton and using it for a while, again if I restart my laptop, its back to the same problem.

If i dont restart my laptop and not do Live updates - see the icon on taskbar with green check (protected). But if i restart the laptop its the problem

we'll be waiting on your reposnses.

New Visitor

I uninstall norton and try get back on and will not come on

Contributor
troublegirl4

My Norton Security Suite free from Comcast just stopped working for no reason at all!!!!

I called Comcast and they said I had to call Norton even though I got this through Comcast.  I had 2 goofballs from Norton waste a lot of my time yesterday pretending like they were helping me.  The last rep I spoke to promised to call me back within 30 minutes to see if my problem was resolved.  That was yesterday and I'M STILL waiting.  Now when I try to re-install Norton, it'll shut down and i get a Blue Screen crash!!!!!!

I'm really think this is an Comcast issue, my daughter who lives elsewhere is having some of the same issues at the same time?

Any suggestions?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi troublegirl14,

Please give us more facts about your problem, your operating system and version of NSS - (Support > About) if you ca nget thatf ar with the program.  Are you getting any error codes?  Do you have any other Security program installed on your system?  The more info about your situation the better chance we have of assisting you.

Contributor
troublegirl4

Windows Vista, Norton is the only anti virus installed free with my account with Comcast.  Pop up box from Norton told me I might be vulnerable to attacks since it was uninstalled.  I didn't uninstall, went to bed on thursday and Norton was working fine, got on yesterday Friday and started having this issue.  the 2 rpes both tried to uninstall in order to reinstall and bothe techs failed.  I tried last night to delete Norton so that I could add the newest version with Constant Guard and it shut down my computer and a Blue Screen Crash was happening!!!!!

I planned on buying a ne anti virus software but Norton won't delete, nor will it work, I can't clivk on up to run updates, it's dead:smileycry:

Contributor
troublegirl4

Correction to previous post..I can't click on Norton, it's unresponsive...dead!!!

Contributor
housefriar

I'm having the same issue.  My computer was running fine this morning, but this afternoon, Norton stopped working and the program won't come up.  Definitely seems to be a comcast/norton issue if it's affecting multiple people like this.

Contributor
troublegirl4

It's ashame when you can't trust your internet provider, I feel so unsafe now, I can't install new software because Norton won't delete, yet Norton is not working???  Not cool @ all :smileycry:

New Visitor
shazam52

Same thing happened to me sometime yesterday on my Win7 PC. I thought it might have been related to a bunch of recent Windows updates, so I restored my PC to an earlier restore point several days before those updates were installed. But I'm still having the same problem. Norton Security Suite eventually pops up a Norton "One-Click" support tool window, which I ran. That tool found no problems, but Norton SS still cannot be turned on.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

shazam52 wrote:

Same thing happened to me sometime yesterday on my Win7 PC. I thought it might have been related to a bunch of recent Windows updates, so I restored my PC to an earlier restore point several days before those updates were installed. But I'm still having the same problem. Norton Security Suite eventually pops up a Norton "One-Click" support tool window, which I ran. That tool found no problems, but Norton SS still cannot be turned on.

If you are talkng about a Windows System restore, you have probably broken your NSS - because it removed defintions and updates that came down to Norton within those 2 days.

Please try to follow the instructions in this thread.

Let us know how you get on and the exact wording of any errors you may receive. 

Contributor
troublegirl4

Why aren't you helping me giving me advice?  I called Comcast this morning and the rep said they can send out a technician for only $199.00 to reset and fix my computer issue...not a good answer, if I can't get this resolved, I will cancel Xfinity Interet/Phone?Cable services and go with another carrier...At&T.

Contributor
housefriar

So....if we're following your links above, it says to back up Identity Safe we need to go into settings to do so....if we can't even open NSS how is that possible?

Since this has happened to several people in the last couple of days just on this forum can we assume it's a widespread problem?

Also, system details:

Windows 7

Toshiba Satellite E205

Have Malwarebytes Free, does not run constant updates

Can't see version of Norton in properties and it won't open for me to check support....about.

Thanks,

New Visitor
shazam52

Thanks for the reply.  I may now have to uninstall/reinstall NSS, but I believe the Windows 7 system restore is unrelated to the problem originally described. The problem started well before I even thought of attempting the restore. It was just a last-ditch effort to get it to work by going back to before some recent Windows7 updates, which I figured had caused the problems with NSS. (The restore seemed to go flawlessly.)

I'm still not convinced the Windows 7 updates did not have anything to do with the NSS issues.  NSS on my Windows XP sysytem still runs just fine, even with a slew of recent WinXP updates and normal NSS definition updates.

Again, the problem I had is the same as reported by other users in this thread - NSS stopped working, will not open, and cannot be turned on.  I do believe this must be a widespread issue that started sometime on 2/15 or 2/16, as others are now describing an identical problem.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ all,

I have asked a contact I have @ Norton who works very closely with the Norton Security Suite program to have a look at your situations and comment if appropriate in regards to what is going on with "norton disappearing". 

Also in the future, please do not add "me too" posts onto an old solved post as you have done here.  Please start a thread of your own - even if the problem is the same on the surface, as deep down when ti comes to troublshooting there are different versions of software, different browsers (and versions of them) as well as different settings within the program.

I am not trying to ignore anyone - sorry if you feel that way!

Contributor
housefriar

USAF, thanks for addressing.  Look forward to seeing the response from your Norton contact so this can hopefully be addressed.

Sorry to have added a me too post, wasn't aware of that protocol...I do think in this case that it's interesting that so many people had an incident at the same time, and that it's probably not a coincidence.  FWIW, I believe my NSS worked fine initially after the Windows update this week, but as of now it's still an issue.

Also, wanted to say thank you for your help for a post I'd made several weeks ago...I had meant to express my gratitude earlier, but got caught up in business and the issue seemed to resolve itself before I applied your fix....if only I'd backed up my passwords at that time....

Thanks again,

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

housefriar wrote:

So....if we're following your links above, it says to back up Identity Safe we need to go into settings to do so....if we can't even open NSS how is that possible?

Hi housefriar,

Not sure if this will work - do you still have the Norton Toolbar?  If so, once you log in to ID Safe (Open Vault), you can left click Vault Open > select settings  and Export will appear on the drop down - this is the same as Export within the NSS Settings. 

The only thing that I have heard on either the Norton or the Comcast Forums about Windows Update was that the  Cumulative IE9 update causing some  problems with 32 bit IE9 - although it only appears to be on one system - so it is not even worth mentioning I guess.

Contributor
housefriar

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

housefriar wrote:

Hi housefriar,

Not sure if this will work - do you still have the Norton Toolbar?  If so, once you log in to ID Safe (Open Vault), you can left click Vault Open > select settings  and Export will appear on the drop down - this is the same as Export within the NSS Settings. 

The only thing that I have heard on either the Norton or the Comcast Forums about Windows Update was that the  Cumulative IE9 update causing some  problems with 32 bit IE9 - although it only appears to be on one system - so it is not even worth mentioning I guess.

I still have the toolbar where I can type into the Norton Safe Search box, but I can not log in to the vault, it says "License Expired!".  When I click that it says Inactive Norton protection.  Clicking Fix Now does nothing, but clicking help brings up a Norton window that allows me to scan the program (first time this has happened).  Scanning it says nothing is wrong and links me to support.  Going through that process says I need to contact my ISP, so here we are again.

The upshot of this is it did actually open NSS.  The bad news is that I still can't do anything inside the program as it's currently frozen. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

OK housefriar, maybe I will continue to work on this here - as you are providing good info and perhaps others can try it.  Some of the things that are happening appear to be different from when the retail N 360 product (NSS is a clone of it) expires.  There are certain items that can be done with an expired retail product, but I am not aware of the differences betwwen and expired retail and an expired NSS.

Let me ask some questions: You can quote and then provide the answer just under my question within the quote.

Is Vault Closed Icon present in the Norton Toolbar (NT:smileycool:?

If so, what occurs when you left click on it?  Is that when you get the popup "License expired"?

Where are the Fix Now and Help located you are referring to and when do they appear?

The upshot of this is it did actually open NSS Which action caused NSS to open? 

Does the scaning function have a name - Quick or Full Scan, or perhaps maybe even NPE?

I have a gut feeling there is an error somewhere in the data base (either on the Comcast end or the Norton end) in regards to checking to make sure your license is valid.

Do you have a Export of your ID Safe Data at this time? 

I'll be looking  for your reposnse.

New Visitor

I am having the same problem.  Started Saturday.  I spent all day trying to resolved this issue.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Norton and CGuard at least 5 times.  Can't get Suite to open.  Issue I have is similar to everyone elses.  The only thing I did not do was a system restore and it does not look like this would be effective. I do get the message that it needs to be activated on/off but when i go on CGuard, I find that it is active.  Looks like Norton itself was updated.

Contributor
housefriar

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

OK housefriar, maybe I will continue to work on this here - as you are providing good info and perhaps others can try it.  Some of the things that are happening appear to be different from when the retail N 360 product (NSS is a clone of it) expires.  There are certain items that can be done with an expired retail product, but I am not aware of the differences betwwen and expired retail and an expired NSS.

Let me ask some questions: You can quote and then provide the answer just under my question within the quote.

Is Vault Closed Icon present in the Norton Toolbar (NT:smileycool:?

No, it just says License Expired! where the vault normally shows up.  I've taken a screenshot if that will work...

screenshot.png

If so, what occurs when you left click on it?  Is that when you get the popup "License expired"?

When I left click on license expired, the following shows up.

screenshot2.png

Where are the Fix Now and Help located you are referring to and when do they appear?

On the screenshot above.

The upshot of this is it did actually open NSS Which action caused NSS to open? 

When I clicked help....trying to recreate that now....it takes a long time and locks up the computer for a bit.

Does the scaning function have a name - Quick or Full Scan, or perhaps maybe even NPE?

It was a quick scan.

I have a gut feeling there is an error somewhere in the data base (either on the Comcast end or the Norton end) in regards to checking to make sure your license is valid.

That sounds reasonable....still wondering how this could have affected multiple people at the same time.

Do you have a Export of your ID Safe Data at this time? 

I do not...I'm unable to get that to work.  And there are a few passwords I really can't afford to lose, so I'm hesitant to try any fixes without them.  I am switching to a different password option to prevent this sort of issue in the future assuming I can recover them.

I'll be looking  for your reposnse.

Thank you.  I appreciate your help.  My experience contacting a comcast rep on their live chat function was an exercise in frustration.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for the feedback housefriar.  I can not see your screenshots clearly enough to make out where the Fix and Help are located - even using Ctrl + I can;t get it large enough (and clear enough) to read it.  I did find the Licen Expire (since yuo told me where it was).  I'm not even sure if circled it or pointed to it on the screen shot it would tell me any more. 

Please see if the following file exsists.  Don;t do anything with it - just let me know if it exsists.

In Vista/Win 7:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_20.1.0.24\IdentitySafeDataStore\S-1-5-21-1845553030-3031872880-4008053321-1001\IDDStore2.dat

Please note the N 360_ XX.X.X.XX may be a different number and the S-1-5-21- will bve a random number

I am taking baby steps here as I do not want to cause you to lose you ID Safe Data.  I am hoping it still exsists.

Please go into the Control Panel > Programs & Features and if Norton Security Suite is present, look in the far right column and it should list the version number that we could not get to via the NSS user interface.  If it is there - tell us what it is.

New Visitor
shazam52

I just wanted to follow up on my experience in getting NSS working again on my machine:

- Win7 updates installed on my PC on about 2/13, and I think shortly after that is when NSS stopped working.

- I did a Windows restore to an earlier restore point, before the Win7 updates. NSS still didn't work.

- I then reinstalled those same Win7 updates, thinking maybe they didn't load right the first time. NSS still didn't work.

- I left these Win7 updates installed, and I followed USAF's recommendations to un-install and re-install NSS using the instructions provided in the reply (‎02-17-2013 12:35 PM), and this worked for me!   (In my case, I do not use Identity Safe, so I didn't have to save that data.)

In retrospect, I probably should have just uninstalled and reinstalled NSS when the problems first started.

When I uninstalled NSS, I selected the option which said I would re-install another Norton Security product soon, though not sure it matters. I followed all the instructions exactly, including using the Norton removal tool, updating my definitions several times, applying patches several times, and rebooting several times.

Just as a data point, my previous version of NSS, which stopped working, was the original one I loaded when Comcast first switched from McAfee to Norton (don't know the actual version). The new NSS that installed is version 20.2.0.19, and it worked right off the bat.

Thanks to USAF_E-8_RET for the help!

my machine:

Windows7 on Acer Aspire 5517 laptop

Using NSS only (no other security programs except on-demand MBAM, occasionally)

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi shazam52,

Thanks for the feedback.  WOW, I have heard of folks still on Version 5, but "right after McAfee" was like version 3 - that's a long time ago!  :smileywink:

FWIW, located at the top of this Board is a topic titled Norton Security Suite FAQ's  if you scroll down thru the posts, you will see notifications of more recent updates/upgrades.  I found it was difficult for folks to now what was th latest in updates, so I started posting the updates toqards the end of last year - hopefuly folks wil find it and check it frequently to have the latest information - especially since Comcst does not seem interested in emailing notifications in regards to Norton Security Suite.

Contributor
housefriar

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

Thanks for the feedback housefriar.  I can not see your screenshots clearly enough to make out where the Fix and Help are located - even using Ctrl + I can;t get it large enough (and clear enough) to read it.  I did find the Licen Expire (since yuo told me where it was).  I'm not even sure if circled it or pointed to it on the screen shot it would tell me any more. 

Please see if the following file exsists.  Don;t do anything with it - just let me know if it exsists.

In Vista/Win 7:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_20.1.0.24\IdentitySafeDataStore\S-1-5-21-1845553030-3031872880-4008053321-1001\IDDStore2.dat

Please note the N 360_ XX.X.X.XX may be a different number and the S-1-5-21- will bve a random number

No, I don't have that file.  I have IDDStore.dat and IDDStore_bak.dat but not IDDStore2

Also worth noting...I seem to have two of the S-1-5-21 files....one ends in -1000 and the other ends in -1001.  The -1000 folder has a lot of files in it and the two IDDStore.dat files, and the -1001 fikder gas ibkt IDDstore.dat inside.  Both folders show a last modification date of 2/16 at 1:12 AM, which is right around when NSS lost functionality for me.

I am taking baby steps here as I do not want to cause you to lose you ID Safe Data.  I am hoping it still exsists.

Please go into the Control Panel > Programs & Features and if Norton Security Suite is present, look in the far right column and it should list the version number that we could not get to via the NSS user interface.  If it is there - tell us what it is.

FWIW I have recovered a couple of the passwords I was most worried to lose....most of the rest I can recover if need be.  I would still rather not lose them but my level of anxiety over it is noticalbly less.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi,

I also have 2 S-1-5-21 files.  One has an IDDStore.dat and IDDStore_bak.dat, while the other one has the IDDStore2.dat and IDDStore2_bak.dat. The one with the 2 is my most recent copy.

Please look at C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}  There should be a N360_20.1.0.24 - is that the number you have?  Do you by chance have a second Folder for N360 with a different number?  Sometimes if  the update gets hung between two versions it will display both the old (in your case a 5 number and a 20). 

Your Programs & Features shows you are two versions behind.

I'll wait for your answers to the questions above, but it looks like a clean install is going to be required and that means the chance of losing your logins.  when yuo come back wiht the answers to the above qustions, please let us iknow what you want to do as far as the clean install goes.

Contributor
housefriar

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

Hi,

I also have 2 S-1-5-21 files.  One has an IDDStore.dat and IDDStore_bak.dat, while the other one has the IDDStore2.dat and IDDStore2_bak.dat. The one with the 2 is my most recent copy.

Please look at C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}  There should be a N360_20.1.0.24 - is that the number you have?  Do you by chance have a second Folder for N360 with a different number?  Sometimes if  the update gets hung between two versions it will display both the old (in your case a 5 number and a 20). 

I do have a second folder....N360_5.0.0.125.  However, inside it it still does not have the ITTStore2 file...only the IDDStore and IDDstore_bak

Your Programs & Features shows you are two versions behind.

I'll wait for your answers to the questions above, but it looks like a clean install is going to be required and that means the chance of losing your logins.  when yuo come back wiht the answers to the above qustions, please let us iknow what you want to do as far as the clean install goes.

At this point I'm fine with the clean install.  I've retrieved the passwords I was most concerned with and should be able to get access to any others I need.  A major inconvenience, but one that I can accept at this point. 

Thanks,

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

housefriar wrote:

I do have a second folder....N360_5.0.0.125.  However, inside it it still does not have the ITTStore2 file...only the IDDStore and IDDstore_bak

At this point I'm fine with the clean install.  I've retrieved the passwords I was most concerned with and should be able to get access to any others I need.  A major inconvenience, but one that I can accept at this point. 

Thanks,

OK, it appears that the update has hung in midstream. since youhave both folders showing.  If I remember the older version (v5) maintains control until the new version (v20) is totally loaded and then the older version is removed.

OK, if you are game, follow the directions in this thread - obviously skipping the Export of ID Safe data since you can not do that step.  I would suggest you use option 2 (complete removal).

Hopefully this will do the job for you.

Contributor
housefriar

Looks like the reinstall has my computer protected again.  Thank you for your help. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

housefriar wrote:

Looks like the reinstall has my computer protected again.  Thank you for your help. 

Good - now can you Import your logins?  Where do you stand on that?

New Visitor
atlgagirl

there is more than one occurance and I have been working on this problem on my dads computer  for almost two weeks and have tried everything at least 4 times.  In fact have probably installed and uninstalled Norton w and w/o Constant Guard about 10 times. It seems to have started after a grouping of WIndows updates, things then started to slow way down, Norton pushed a GET SUpport link that had me download a tool that I ran and life was good for a little while. 

Then as mentioned in many of these posts Norton stopped launching at startup and eventually would do nothing when seleted from he Program menu.  Each  reinstall (after removal tool and using CP uninstall is more promising until I try to OPEN Norton and NOTHING happns.  I think the comment regarding 32 bit could be key. And seems I get a Runtime error when trying to uninstall a few programs that were loaded since this nightmare began.  I downloaded McAfee and used the free trial after giving up the first go around (aprox 7 times reinstalling Norton) and was able to function fairly well.  Only problem (which was also happening some with Norton) was the firewall kept turning off. 

Constant Guard is kind of a pain and slows down the system like crazy!) It seems hard to imagine that Comcast would push something that compounds an already SLOW and difficult customer website. 

thanks Needed to vent a littleand hope we can solve this soon

New Visitor
mew155

I'm having a similar problem I uninstalled my last security thing Microsoft Defender, installed norton security suite from the comcast website and now it rarely will open for me or if it does I can't run a full scan because it won't go to the scans page. I use a compaq pc, run windows 7

New Visitor
mew155

I'm having a similar problem I uninstalled my last security thing Microsoft Defender, installed norton security suite from the comcast website and now it rarely will open for me or if it does I can't run a full scan because it won't go to the scans page. I use a compaq pc, run windows 7

Security Expert
CajunTek

mew155 wrote:

Did you see the instructions above from USAF

TANSTAAFL!!