New Visitor
GPB01

Norton Security Suite won't start after running live update

I just got a new Lenovo X1 computer.

It came with 30 day trial of Norton.

I went to the comcast website followed instruction to download Comcast - Norton Security Suite.

Using the download manager, it removed the previous (trial) version and loaded Norton Security Suite.

After running Live Update and rebooting, the Norton program won't do anything.

Although Norton still shows up on my list of programs, I have several warnings that my firewall and antivirus / spyware is disabled.

I have tenatively activated Windows Firewall.

I have tried using Norton removal tool and reloading Norton Security Suire from the Comcast website, but every time the same result. -- It work until I run the live update.

After it's initially installed it's at 5.0.0.125.

Does anyone know if there is a problem running the live update that causes the program to be disabled ?

- Thanks GPB

New Visitor
dmolin

Re: Norton Security Suite won't start after running live update

I have the exact same problem.....can someone help please?

New Visitor
ddaski

same here -any ideas?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

To all  three of you.

I just checked the Norton - Other and the Norton 360 support forums and there is nothing mentioned there. That tends to indicate its a Comcast/Norton specific issue. I'm left a note for another expert who is more familiar with the Comcast/Norton products than I am.

We'll be with you as soon as possible.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2013
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi GPB01,

I know this is going to repetitious, but I want to make sure things were done in the correct order before we do any more troubleshooting.  In reality, the correct procedure you should have followed is removed the trial program via Programs & Features. Reboot.  Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and Reboot. Then do a fresh install of Norton Security Suite.   I now that is not included in the instructrions on the Comcast Site, but is included in the FAQs we have available on the forum.  Any part of a previous instatallation of any security product (even another Norton product) needs to be totally removed in order to prevent any conflict with a freshinsatll of Norton.  I am thinking that there could have been some "leftover debris" from the trial install that could be conflicting with the NSS install you did.

I'm going to ask you to go to this FAQ and follow the instructions:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

Please note that when you go for the fresh download of NSS, you will see a popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite - please click on the No Thanks and you will be able to see the Get It Now button that will start your download.

Please post back with the results.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

dmolin wrote:

I have the exact same problem.....can someone help please?

I can not believe you have the exact same problem - did you also get a new system and go thru the exact same steps as GPB01 did and ended up at the same place?

I would really appreciate it, if you start a new thread that tells us exactly what  your situation is, as GPB01 has done.

Such info as how long NSS was installed before this happened or was it on a first time install.  If you had any other  security programs installed, if you received any error codes and any other info that would help us try to figure out your problem.

So please start a new thread and give us more inof to go on.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

ddaski wrote:

same here -any ideas?

I can not believe you have the exact same problem - did you also get a new system and go thru the exact same steps as GPB01 did and ended up at the same place?

I would really appreciate it, if you start a new thread that tells us exactly what your situation is, as GPB01 has done.

Such info as how long NSS was installed before this happened or was it on a first time install. If you had any other security programs installed, if you received any error codes and any other info that would help us try to figure out your problem.

So please start a new thread and give us more info to go on.

New Visitor
DanA76

I am having the same problem now. I have a Lenovo E520. I have been running norton from xfinity for a few months. I recently ran live update, and Norton simply stopped working. I can't even start the program and windows says my antivirus is turned off.

Just in case, I follwed the proceedure at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit..., as instructed (remove norton, run removal tool, then reinstall). I reinstalled Norton and it worked. When I ran live update, Norton failed to start again (same problem as before).

Any ideas?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

DanA76 wrote:

I am having the same problem now. I have a Lenovo E520. I have been running norton from xfinity for a few months. I recently ran live update, and Norton simply stopped working. I can't even start the program and windows says my antivirus is turned off.

Just in case, I follwed the proceedure at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit..., as instructed (remove norton, run removal tool, then reinstall). I reinstalled Norton and it worked. When I ran live update, Norton failed to start again (same problem as before).

Any ideas?

Lenovo I believe may install it's own security protection.  I am not sure if the following applies to your system, but may be worth looking into.
..... computers with ThinkVantage Client Security Solution, a suite of security tools that protect your system from unauthorized use. This program controls access to your system through fingerprint and password verification. It also encrypts your personal information by storing it in password-protected private volumes. Disable these features in Client Security Solution if you do not need them. Otherwise, uninstall the program to disable it entirely.

If installed it sounds likeit may be conflicting with Norton, in that the changesNorton is trying to make (via liveupdate) are being blocked by this program and thus Norton is being disabled because of it.

Please check for other security programs installed, remove them and keep us posted.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

What do the logs in \ProgramData\Norton say?  Any errors, warnings in Event Viewer?

Ensure you are not running any other real-time security software, to include Microsoft Security Essentials.

New Visitor
rcbryant1

I am having a similar problem with Comcast/NSS; and like USAF, I posted on the Norton forums as well. I checked, there is no other security program, Lenovo or otherwise on my system; only Comcast/NSS. 

My problem started when I had to use a recovery point for my system due to WIndow Updates interfering with my internet speeds, slowing me down to below dialup speeds. I recovered to a date before those updates, and now have the similar problem with Norton. Prior to any updates and/or recovery, I had no problems with Norton, even when using Norton's LiveUpdate function.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

rcbryant1 wrote:

My problem started when I had to use a recovery point

Whoo...yeah...system instability/bizarre problems that are difficult/impossible to fix are to be expected with recovery points.  There's a point where fixing these will wind up taking more time than a clean format/re-install.

Or, if you have a full image backup, you could revert to it.

New Visitor
rcbryant1

Although this is the first time I've had problems with NSS with the Lenovo; which is less than year old; it is not the first time I have had problems with Norton. I am seriously considering downloading the Norton Removal tool again and going to a completely different product; i.e. not Symantec!

New Visitor
rcbryant1

[ Edited ]

Rolo42 wrote:

What do the logs in \ProgramData\Norton say?  Any errors, warnings in Event Viewer?

Ensure you are not running any other real-time security software, to include Microsoft Security Essentials.

Not sure about the others; but I can't even open Norton much less turn it on; so there's now way for me to view the information you suggested. 

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

You view those from Windows Event Viewer and Windows Explorer, not Norton.

New Visitor
mgatl

I had the same problem.  After a lot of trial and error, I found the cause and the solution. Click on the link below:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Solution-Found-Norton-Security-System-not-start...

New Visitor
tobyw276

Similar problem:

ThinkpadT- 530

Trial version of Norton worked fine

Installed Comcast version of Suite without proper unisntall (Usually installs do the uninsatll, don't they, or give a notice to do so)

After bad install, I tried Windows uninstall, reboot, install Norton with CG It seemed to work, I didn't try everything.

Now it doesn't work again.

I'm having problems finding what to do on the comcast site. do I look for comcast or xfinfty? I had to do a google search to find this blog. I wish that the xfinity program money had instead gone to work on the support site. :smileysad:

Now I'm going to follow the instructions later along in the blog.

Thanks to all

-T