New Visitor
crissy53

Norton Security

I recently downloaded your Norton Security on my laptop computer. The other day a window came up from Constant Guard requesting me to add my various bank and/or other accounts with them. Is this a safe thing for me to do and would you recommend that I do so?  Thank you for any and all help in this matter.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Norton Security

Hello,

Many customers have reported problems with constant guard and they eventually delete it and run norton only with no problem.

It is up to you what might work for you might not work for others.

New Visitor
crissy53

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

Glad to help you out.

Visitor

I was wondering if you ever took the suggestion from Constant Guard to add your banks?  I have had nothing but problem since doing so....I hate this program and would like to get rid of everything except the Norton, but now I am unable to uninstall Constant Guard.  I get an error message that it is "uninstallable"??  When I call Comcast they tell me this is above their expertise and I need Comcast Signature Service.  When I speak with them they won't help me unless I PURCHASE their program.  Membership fee of 79.99 then it is 19.95 a month!!  When I first had a problem it was their techs that told me to uninstall these programs and now my computer had NO security protection and they wont help unless I PAY.....I am so very frustrated with this....

Personally, I would suggest NOT giving your banking info because that is where my problems began.  Now, every two minutes I get a pop up  that tells me there is a problem accessing my secure financial institutions and it is being updated, but nothing happens except a POP UP....

I would love to know if you are having problems with the service and if alot of people are, I would like to make a more formal complaint cause I spent three and a half hours on the phone and they fixed nothing!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi katpen,

Please do not purchase the Comcast Signature Service - there are folks here who can help you at no cost.

It should be possible to remove Constant Guard Protection Suite as you have requested. 

First go into Control Panel > add remove programs (Programs & Features - dependent on OS).  Then remove the following entries - if they exsist:  Constant Guard Protection Suite, Guarded ID, ID Vault, Xfinity/Comcast Toolbar and CA Pest Patrol Real Time ( rebooting after each uninstall), then reboot one more time.

That should remove all the CGPS components and still leave Norton Security Suite in tact and functioning.

After doing the above, please let us know where you stand.  As fellow customers volunteering our time here, we are more interested in getting your system fixed than reporting/complaining at the moment.  Once we get it sorted for you, we can provide info for where you can complain to - but first let's get you fixed!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

[ Edited ]

I just bought a new computer that has a free trial of Norton Internet Security [NIS]. As the trial of NIS will end soon, I would like to replace this with Comcast’s Norton Security Suite [NSS]. Now, should I use the uninstall feature that comes with NIS before I download NSS? Or is there a better way to go about this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi wchillman,

The best route to go is follow the instuctions in this link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

The reason for the removal of NIS and running the Norton Removal Tool is to ensure a clean install of Norton Security Suite.  NSS is in fact a clone of N 360, which is a different product of Norton.

Be advised that if you are running NIS 2012, your ID Safe data will not be compatable with the NSS (version 5), however NSS willbe uprade in the future to Version 6 and the NIS 2012 ID Safe data Export will be able to be Imprted into the new version of NSS.  So back it up prior to removal and save it ina place you will be able to find it again.  If you are still runnning NIS 2011 (which I doubt) it will be compatable.

Please when you go to download the NSS, click on the No Thanks in the  popup offering Constant Guard Protection Suite and that will reveal the Get it Now button for NSS.

The running of Liveupdate (rebooting as requested) may take as many as 10 reboots, so do not quit running Liveupdate until you get that "no more updates available response" (and then reboot one more time.

I will provide the same answer on the Norton Forum as I saw your question over there also.

Please post back with results.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

Thank you. Went pretty much as planned. I think I might have missed somethong without your steps. Still have "Norton Online Backup" on the computer but everything else was removed, Norton asked me if I wanted to download something about "Safe Search" which I did. It took about 4 restarts on the live update and then I did a 5th as you recommended.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi wchillman,

Glad to hear all worked out for you.

If you do not desire to keep/use Norton Online Backup (NO:smileycool:, it can be removed via Control Panel > Programs & Features. It normally comes as a trial on new systems and at times can "nag" about trying the trial. One thing to consider is that NSS does not provide online backup storage, so it is your call.

If you have any problems with removal of NOB, please post back.