New Visitor

Norton Service Cancelled

I have received a message that my Norton service has been cancelled because Comcast has discontinued the service;

comcast.png

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Service Cancelled

Hi whvance,

Please see the following link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Info-for-customers-receiving-cautions-that-Nort...

Please let us know how things go.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor

Thanks. That was most helpful. Norton says I have to run the Norton Removal Tool and re-install NSS after a reboot. Do you have the link where I can just install the NSS without Constant Guard?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

H whvance,

This NSS FAQ will provide instructions to do what you need to do.

Let us know how you get on.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
Jeffbert

Thanks ; that was a a much easier fix than I thought it would be! :smileygrin: I actually had this problem on 2 out of 3 PCs; I assumed my primary desktop PC had not been afflicted was because I had installed NSS via the Comcast CONSTANT GUARD suite. On my laptop, I merely uninstalled both (because I had installed NSS before CCG was even released), reinstalled CCG, then via CCG's panel, downloaded NSS, which worked right away. I think still needed to copy & paste the code into NSS. But on the 64 bit machine running Vista, this did not work. It left no option for even entering a code. I do not think I overlooked something, but that may have happened.

Anyway, after uninstalling the nonworking NSS, I contacted a Norton tech via the link you provided, gave him the details, & he provided a download link, which installed a new NSS, & that web page also had the activation code. :smileycool:

New Visitor
celteagle

I think the key was uninstalling via add/remove programs BEFORE using the removal too

being sent to nortondotcom/comcast_cancelled and using the removal tool did not help

norton support only wanted to access my PC by remote

finding this page helped

uninstall, then the removal tool, then reinstall = fixed

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

FWIW - we are seeing more and more Knowledge Based articles that call for the NRT without first removing the program and rebooting.  Most of the Guru's on the Norton Forums recommend the removal of the Norton product first via Control Panel, a reboot and then running the NRT. Experience shows that is a better way to do things. 

IMHO, it is always better to remove via Control Panel (which shuts down the program, drivers etc) in lieu of "just ripping the Norton product out while it is still functioning - as just running the NRT prior to removal does.