Visitor
Accepted Solution

Norton Suite vs. Constant Guard

Spent 14 hours trying to find out why identity guard would not work, ask/Google/Comcast toolbars would not load and other misc. problems. Comcast tech could not help and transferred me to Norton (India I believe) tech support (hard to understand). They took control of my computer to fix it and almost ruined it--case number 0225199954. "Lolita" gave up and said she would have her case manager call me at 10 am cst. He finally called at noon but by that time I had solved my problem myself. Solution----Norton Suite is not compatible with Comcast Toolbar/Constant Guard/CA Protection Suite and IE9. Had to remove all Comcast tools in order for my computer to function properly. The Norton Case Manager (SRI) apologized and said he would send me an email with references for future problems if they occur------have never received the email and doubt I ever will. Bottom line I don't recall ever having such ill equipped or unknowledgeable people ( "techies") in my life and in addition with a language barrier that could hardly be understood.----There!!  Got it off my chest!!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton Suite vs. Constant Guard

Hi 3791,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  First of all, you have to realize that the Constant Guard Protection Suite problems are not caused by Norton.  The CGPS is the soul responsibility of Comcast (Xfinity) and actually it was a n aded bonus that Norton support even attempted to help you.

Many customers are running Norton Security Suite - without any problems - as long as they are runing it by itself and not in conjunction with CGPS or any other security program.

I am glad you ranted and got it off your chest, now please tell us what you desire and we will attrempt to help you out.  Do you want NSS to protect you?  Have you totally gotten rid of CGPS?  Please let us know what you need from us.  we are customers the same as you are and are ready to assist you if we can.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor

I have gotten rid of Comcast Constant Guard/ Toolbar and misc. files and I had Norton reloaded Norton Suite on my computer. I much prefer Norton Suite and will stay with them. My main complaint was that none of the technical people at Comcast or Norton advised me that CCG and Norton Suite could not run together properly. The Norton techie was even in my computer and spent a lot of time looking at everything and trying to resolve the problem. We spent 6-8 hours trying to solve the problem when a simple answer like " unload CCG or NS " could have solved it in 10 minutes.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

3791 wrote:

I have gotten rid of Comcast Constant Guard/ Toolbar and misc. files and I had Norton reloaded Norton Suite on my computer. I much prefer Norton Suite and will stay with them. My main complaint was that none of the technical people at Comcast or Norton advised me that CCG and Norton Suite could not run together properly. The Norton techie was even in my computer and spent a lot of time looking at everything and trying to resolve the problem. We spent 6-8 hours trying to solve the problem when a simple answer like " unload CCG or NS " could have solved it in 10 minutes.

I understand where you are coming from, however remember that CGPS is a Comcast program and most Norton employees (techs included) will not comment on other company's products.  I must remind you that Comcast offers NSS as part of CGPS and claims they run alongside each other without any conflicts.  That said those of us here who deal with it on a daily basis who are not Comcast Employees know better.  I never have, nor never will run CGPS on any of my systems - I do use Norton on all my systems - tell you anything?  :smileywink:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor

Enough said! At 80 years old I get fired up a lot faster than when younger--ha!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

3791 wrote:

Enough said! At 80 years old I get fired up a lot faster than when younger--ha!

@ 3791,

As far as I am concerned. @ 80 years old, you can get fired up as fast as you like, raise as much heck as you like and let the youngsters know what you think! 

If you are ever in need of assistance again, please try to contact us thru this forum and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Contributor

Should the previously provided Norton Suite be uninstalled when installing Constant Guard? No instructions were provided by Comcast about this. Thanjs
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

BradQ wrote:
Should the previously provided Norton Suite be uninstalled when installing Constant Guard? No instructions were provided by Comcast about this. Thanjs

IMHO, leave the NSS installed as long as you have NSS installed and up to date (Support > About = version 5.2.0.13) there is no reason to install the Constant Guard Protection Suite. 

Contributor

Thanks. My laptop suddenly produced a message that the Comcast Norton had been cancelled, thereby prompting me to remove it and install Constant Guard, so I did.
New Visitor
WD19

My previously purchased Norton Security Suite is expiring in about a month.  I recently had Comcast internet installed. Is it advisable to just renew NSS on its own, or download  NSS for Comcast at:

(http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/?cid=NET_33_641  ?

After reading so many complaints about Constant Guard, I was wondering if I should bother with that even if it is free. Even though I would uninstall NSS first, you know something is always left behind which might cause some problem.Thanks

Connection Expert
Joe

[ Edited ]

@

You can just download comcast Norton 360 without  Constant Guard.

Wait until the day it expires because version 6 is coming.

It maybe a week or a month away

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

New Visitor
mayescrest

I spent something on the order of 6 hours dealing with Comcast/Constant guard issues on 3-30-2012. I could not get to e-mail/saved mail. long story short I run IE9 on 64 bit windows7.  Final solution disable constant guard, disable all add ons and restore IE9 to default settings. If you get the Constant Guard banner on the top of your window and/or the constant guard code box popping up to access your own mail - get rid of the Constant Guard. Norton security suite does not need any help!

New Visitor
SheliaJohnson10

I spent over twelve (12) hours trying to download Constant Guard yesterday.  Comcast finally referrred me to Norton and I was put on hold for over 3 hours hearing "thank you for your patience".  Finally, the Norton tech tried to sell me a service for $99.00 to take over my computer and remove a virus which was preventing the download.  I refused.  I then downloaded a free Microsoft Virus Program and ran a complete scan of my computer with no problem.  So, it would seem the "so called virus" only blocks Constant Guard!  I think it is just a SCAM to sell you this $99.00 assistance. 

New Visitor
SheliaJohnson10

I removed everything.  How do I get my Norton Suite back?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

SheliaJohnson10 wrote:

I removed everything.  How do I get my Norton Suite back?

Hi SheliaJohnson10,

For starters you can follow the instructions in this FAQ for the inital installation of Norton Security Suite (NSS):

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

When you get to the point of downloading the NSS, please click on the No Thanks Button on the popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite.  This will reveal the Get It Down buitton which when clicked on will begin the download of NSS only.

Please post back with the results.

New Visitor
78yuhjnm

I have had two different free versions of Norton that worked fine until they were ready for me to buy a program so they would malware me out.  I have tried Constant Guard free with Comcast twice.  It has a pop up that blocks all computer activity as soon as you download it.  I did call Comcast and they referred me to Norton where a person who did not speak English did not help me at all. After several frustrating hours both times and Constant Guard would not uninstall after many hours of trying, I had to restore my computer by X ING OUT pop ups and in seconds I had to find and restore computer to an earlier time.  This took many times of X ing out pop ups two on top of each other.  My son is a Microcomputer Engineer!  He says to leave Norton and Constant Guard because they are more like Malware than Antivirus protection. There are free anti virus that do work and Malware is removed easily.  Tell Comcast Thanks but no Thanks for the Malware Constant Guard download!