Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Norton background task`s

So I shutoff the task scheduling, and have it set to manual scheduling. But still get a window popping up when my computer sets idle for awhile. What do I have to do to shut this option off permenant?

As the idle time scan does not shut off after I resume working,

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton background task`s

Hi Gambit66,

If you go to Settings > Task Scheduling > Automatic Tasks Tab and look at the Tasks - there is no task listed as Full System Scan.

Next go to Tasks > Check Norton Tasks (in RH Column) Look at Idle Full System Scan.  Does it state complete?  If so what is the date?  This item is set to run once every 7 days - after it is completed.  It is supposed to stop when the system is taken out of Idle - however after it has been stopped numerous times (I have never figured out what the # of stops is), it will continue to run until completetion.  So if you get a popup that states IdleFullSystem Scan running, please let it run until it finishes.  Once finsihed, it should be good to go for another 7 days at which time it will start the sequence over again.

You also can not stop the Idle Quick Scan - but they only take about 15 to 30 seconds normally.

Exactly what does the popup say?  Perhaps we can figure out what is running from the popup.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

True their is no full system scan in Auto task`s tab.

All of the listings in norton task`s are complete except "idle full system" & "Insight Optimizer".  "idle full system" had been canceled on 12/17/2011 and "Insight Optimizer" was cancele on 11/07/2011.

As for the pop up, I do believe it is the idle full system scan. But I will print screen it next time to be sure and let you know.

As far as letting it run until it finishes, it takes longer than me doing a manual full system scan, and it eats up more CPU. This is one of the reasons I want to shut down this annoying idle scan, I run a manual full or quick scan everyday.

Thanks for the info USAF

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Gambit66 wrote:

True their is no full system scan in Auto task`s tab.

All of the listings in norton task`s are complete except "idle full system" & "Insight Optimizer".  "idle full system" had been canceled on 12/17/2011 and "Insight Optimizer" was cancele on 11/07/2011.

As for the pop up, I do believe it is the idle full system scan. But I will print screen it next time to be sure and let you know.

As far as letting it run until it finishes, it takes longer than me doing a manual full system scan, and it eats up more CPU. This is one of the reasons I want to shut down this annoying idle scan, I run a manual full or quick scan everyday.

Thanks for the info USAF

Thanks for the feedback.  Seeing that Idle Full Scan was cancelled on the 17th, I am curious if in fact that may be working correctly, in that it did stop to permit the system to come out of idle.

I'm hoping the screen shot of the popup gives us something to go on.  If you can not get a print screen, the exact wording may be enough.

Please keep us posted.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

Turn off Norton Task Notification in Administrative Settings.

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Rolo42 wrote:

Turning off norton task notification does not prevent background task`s from running.

USAF- The canceled date was not from it coming out of idle scan, but rather me forcing a reboot to stop the idle scan, since nothing else would. Still waiting for a idle scan, and window notification to concur the problem.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Gambit66 wrote:
Rolo42 wrote:

Turning off norton task notification does not prevent background task`s from running.

USAF- The canceled date was not from it coming out of idle scan, but rather me forcing a reboot to stop the idle scan, since nothing else would. Still waiting for a idle scan, and window notification to concur the problem.

Hi Gambitt66,

Something you can try.  When you can leave the system on andin Idle for awhile (like over night) Go to Tasks > Check Norton Tasks (in RH column) > Click the circled Arrow in front of Idle Full System Scan and let it run to completion.  Once it shows as completed - it should not run again for another 7 days.  See if that happens please.  I have seen where this has gotten the Idle Full System Scan back in the 7 day cycle.

In regards to turning off the Task Notifications, I think Rolo42 was merely suggesting how to get rid of the notifcation - not how to eliminate the actual scan.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

Correct.

AV scans aren't part of the tasks schedule.  To disable them: Settings|Antivirus|Scans and Risks|Idle Time Scans|Off

Rather than turning it off, setting your Idle Timeout to 30 minutes may keep it from running when you're there.

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

Thanks for that info Rolo42, been looking for a way to shut them off.

USAF, while performing a manual full system scan, about 10 minutes into to it, the background idle scan window came up. Now why norton would not know that a scan is already running, and how it thinks it is in idle when a it is already scanning, I havent a clue. Upon stopping my manual scan, the background idle scan proceeded to run, eating up more then 40%+ of cpu. So I restarted again to end it.

Recently this month, I left my computer alone for a bit, and came back to find it doing a background idle scan, this time it stoped the idle scan when I moved the mouse.

Hopefully sence the idle scan was set to weekly, and now set to off thanks to Rolo42`s info, this will not happen anymore.