New Visitor
Channien

Norton canceled without notice

Hi, I want to share what I found out after my Norton canceled out of the blue the other day.  First of all, I called Comcast immediately and asked the agent why and how this happened and she said "Yes ma'am, we are using Constant Guard now and that is why Norton was canceled".  I said to her, "Norton is a part of Constant Guard though, so that does not make sense".  She says, "Well that is what we have been told to say".  Umm, whatever.  I uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh Norton and the next day I seen my email accounts were hacked into during the time my Norton was "canceled".  I called Comcast back and the man said this was a virus and I somehow must have clicked on the wrong Norton .  lol, I was getting nowhere fast and he referred me to call Norton.  Ugh!  The folks in Norton tried to say I must have been late in my bill, didn't download the latest updates and anything you can imagine.  I in fact hung up and called back 2 more times hoping to speak to someone who could give me an answer.  The last lady I spoke with said that the license for Norton is only for 1-2 yrs and the product key that we used when downloading it probably expired.  This makes sense, but the real problem is that this came without warning.  Normally, when your AV is getting ready to expire, you get pop-up warnings, but this didn't happen, and what's worse is that Comcast doesn't seem to understand that the product keys expire 2 yrs from the date we install the software.  They need to find a way to give notice before allowing something like this to happen, because in my case, I had all my credit apps for me and my husband in my gmail account and now I am left to wonder what will come next.  Just so that yall know.  My last definitions update was 9 hours prior to Norton being canceled, I have never been late on a payment and I absolutely did not click on a fake icon that "looked" like Norton.  I work in software subscriptions at my job and I help people troubleshoot their anti-virus programs "including Norton", so I am not a dum dum..  LOL, I had to add just one more thing.  In my quest for answers, 1 representative said that perhaps it was canceled due to the solar flare!..  I said "What is a solar flare and why did the flare cancel my account?" OMG, if you do not know the answer to something, just say so, don't start spewing silly things like that, but I do appreciate the laugh.:womanlol:

New Visitor

Re: Norton canceled without notice

This happened to a friend of mine. She clicked on the fake Norton icon and it wiped her hard drive of all her photos and music.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

First of all this will not be an easy answer and I am really sorry you have been treated so badly, but I think I can undrstand where some of the comments came from and will try to assist you.  That said please relieze that I am a Comcast customer (as you are) and volunter my time (as others do) in order to try to assist other customers, there are very few Comcast employees who monitor these boards. 
Channien wrote:

Hi, I want to share what I found out after my Norton canceled out of the blue the other day.  First of all, I called Comcast immediately and asked the agent why and how this happened and she said "Yes ma'am, we are using Constant Guard now and that is why Norton was canceled".  I said to her, "Norton is a part of Constant Guard though, so that does not make sense".  She says, "Well that is what we have been told to say".

I can understand why the Customer Service Rep told you that - they did not know any better.  Most of them operate from a script that they read which is dependent on the answer you give to the question they ask you.  Crazy -right?  Please remember they are CSR's not tech savy folks and thus it is not theri fault that is all they know - is to read what they have in front of them.

Umm, whatever.  I uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh Norton and the next day I seen my email accounts were hacked into during the time my Norton was "canceled".  I called Comcast back and the man said this was a virus and I somehow must have clicked on the wrong Norton .  lol, I was getting nowhere fast and he referred me to call Norton.  Ugh! 

I am not sure at this time, if the man you talked to was a CSR ( as was the one you talked to before) or if in fact he was on the tech side.  Unfortunately, I understand how he as no help whatsoever.  Since he did nothing at all, I do not know how he deducted it was a virus.

The folks in Norton tried to say I must have been late in my bill, didn't download the latest updates and anything you can imagine.

I will  now try to answer each of your comments, but remember I am only guessing at why you received the answer you did:

Norton said you must have been late on paying your bill - assuming (I hate that word) that you were no longer a current (paid up) Comcast customer and thus was not entitiled to the free NSS.

I in fact hung up and called back 2 more times hoping to speak to someone who could give me an answer.  The last lady I spoke with said that the license for Norton is only for 1-2 yrs and the product key that we used when downloading it probably expired.

There really is no license length for Norton Security Suite as there is for other Norton products.  As long as you are a Comcast customer, your NSS should remain active.  The 1 to 2 year license is a caveat of the commerical Norotn products - but not NSS!

This makes sense, but the real problem is that this came without warning.  Normally, when your AV is getting ready to expire, you get pop-up warnings, but this didn't happen, and what's worse is that Comcast doesn't seem to understand that the product keys expire 2 yrs from the date we install the software.

Comcast's NSS does not expire @ 1 or 2 years - it expires when Comcast stops offering it for free as part of your Comcast account which hasn't happened! 

They need to find a way to give notice before allowing something like this to happen, because in my case, I had all my credit apps for me and my husband in my gmail account and now I am left to wonder what will come next. 

I am a bit confused with this - if you desire please explain what you are getting at?

Just so that yall know.  My last definitions update was 9 hours prior to Norton being canceled, I have never been late on a payment and I absolutely did not click on a fake icon that "looked" like Norton.  I work in software subscriptions at my job and I help people troubleshoot their anti-virus programs "including Norton", so I am not a dum dum.. 

Understood and could you perhaps tell us what you currently have installed on your system as far as AV goes?  Have you tried to install Norton Security Suite again?

LOL, I had to add just one more thing.  In my quest for answers, 1 representative said that perhaps it was canceled due to the solar flare!..  I said "What is a solar flare and why did the flare cancel my account?" OMG, if you do not know the answer to something, just say so, don't start spewing silly things like that, but I do appreciate the laugh.:womanlol:

That is too funny!

OK, at this piont I m not sure where you stabnd or what you wan to do - try to reinstall  NSS or what. Please let us know!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
Channien

[ Edited ]

Awesome, thanks for breaking up the answers.  To clarify, the 2nd man I spoke with at Comcast was a CSR, but before I had called him, I already had reinstalled a fresh version of Norton and all seem to be fine and dandy even after I received a notice from gmail my email was logged into from Argentina.  What prompted me to call Comcast back was due to the fact that I was getting user account control requests every 2 min and I knew better than to click on them no matter how legit they looked because that was not normal and when I explained the situation to the rep about Norton getting canceled and told him about the email being hacked and all the user account control request, he said virus.  I said yeah, I think that sounds right..  But what kinda virus first cancels your Norton, hacks your email and then gives user account control requests every 2 min.  And let me tell you, I was getting, adobe, flash player, norton, java and every other request you can think of and they all looked so legit, but as soon as I closed 1, another would pop up and so on and so on.  Man that was whack.  After I ran a full scan with my fresh new Norton, it seemed to get rid of that prob though.  The folks in India where Norton support is at are extremely unhelpful and wanted to sell me 99.99 tech support just to tell me why Norton was canceled because their "script" did not cover this. I just needed to have a reason for why the thing got canceled, so that way I could be pro-active in preventing this in the future.  So far, nobody can think outside the script to solve the problem, so I have to go crazy and post on here in order to share with everyone else, so they do not get stuck talking to the guy named Alabaster in India.  Oh gawd, I will not miss talking to that dude...What it comes down to is just needing to know how and why this happened, because I want to stop it from happening again, and I think everyone who reads this could benefit from knowing as well.  But again, ty so much for taking the time to break those answers down, that was super awesome and I think I should pay my next Comcast bill to you, since you are offering more help than they did :-)

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Channien,

You are most welcome for the explanation.  My concern now turns to what addtional info I may be able to provide you.

You said:  "What it comes down to is just needing to know how and why this happened, because I want to stop it from happening again"

I am not sure what you mean by "why this happened".  I think you mean the "Norton cancelled without notice"  rather than why the whole fiasco occured with Comcast & Norton reps.

The bottom line for the "cancellation"  is more than likely the result of a glitch (lack of a better term) between Comcast and Norton data bases.  Norton supplies the product to Comcast's servers and Comcast maintains a list of Comcast customers who have the product available to them.  It appears Comcast checks from time to time to ensure that the folks receiving NSS free are in fact still Comcast customers.  If not, that customer's NSS is cancelled and Norton no longer provides updates for that customer.  It is more complicated than that, but basically that is how it works.  So somewhere along the line something goes wrong and either Comcast incorrctly removes you, or Norton has a glitch and folks are removed on that end.  Either way, it has been found that normally a simple remove and reinstall of NSS fixes the situation.

The FAQ to cover that type of remove/reinstall is located here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

Hopefully that answers your concerns.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
jmlo96

The best way to solve Norton problems would be to uninstall it. I installed Avast free on several computers with Norton from comcast, and it found over 20 viruses!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Avast as has a long standing reputation for false positives. A few recent fiasco's also question it's overall fitness.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Contributor
jmlo96

LoPhatPhuud, what security program do you use? I am a computer guy, and have never seen one work better than Avast. In fact, on tons of computers have never had a problem. I do happen to recall that every computer with an issue that I have seen usually had Norton, and the issues were caused by it. Its really irritating whenever I try to help out people and I find my inbox flooded with trash from you :smileyhappy: PS- whoever else is part of this sorry for making you have to read this :smileyhappy:

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinions.

At one time I used Norton for several years. Never had any problems with it. What did give me problems was McAfee.

jmlo96 wrote:

Its really irritating whenever I try to help out people and I find my inbox flooded with trash from you :smileyhappy: PS- whoever else is part of this sorry for making you have to read this :smileyhappy:

If you don't want to see the "trash" in your inbox turn off email notifications so you will not receive a notice when someone replies to a thread you participate in. 

Fortunately for others LPP will continue to post very good advice and his opinions, which most don't think is trash. Unfortunately for you,  you will have to read it.

Also for what it's worth, you are not the only computer guy who participates in this forum. Some of them would probably disagree with you.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
jmlo96

I completely agree with you. I remember using McAfee, and I remember the day I got rid of it! Thanks for the tip of turning off the email notifications!

New Visitor
Nilthera

I had a similar problem, norton said it got cancelled. I moved on August and I guess they cancelled my old account completely and opened a new one for the new address. When I tried to login my comcast account, it didn't allow me, I had to create a new online account. I assume, my norton license was linked to my old account and it also got cancelled after some time when my old account is closed. I uninstalled and reinstalled it from comcast's website. It seems to be working now.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

Nilthera wrote:

I had a similar problem, norton said it got cancelled. I moved on August and I guess they cancelled my old account completely and opened a new one for the new address. When I tried to login my comcast account, it didn't allow me, I had to create a new online account. I assume, my norton license was linked to my old account and it also got cancelled after some time when my old account is closed. I uninstalled and reinstalled it from comcast's website. It seems to be working now.

Glad you got it sorted.  You must be signed into your primary account (which would be your new one) and on your residential modem when you install it.  If oyu neede any more help  start a new thread and we'll be glad to help.