Recognized Contributor

Norton icon not always showing up in system tray - how to know it is running?

[ Edited ]

Usually when I start up my computer (XP with all system updates), the icon for Norton Security Suite appears in my system tray area.  But sometimes the icon does not appear.  I'm guessing that it's just some start-up timing issue preventing its display, and I can live with that if I know that it is running.  Is there some easy way I can verify that the Norton security software is in fact running when I can't see the icon?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton icon not always showing up in system tray - how to know it is running?

First thing is to check to see if you are on the latest version of NSS.  On the main page, click on Help & Support, then click on ABOUT in the drop down menu.

The latest version is 4.3.0.5, if not this version, run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond with no more updates available, then reboot and recheck for the latest version number.

If it is 4.3.05, make sure the icon is not hidden in the tray (use the Show Hidden Icon Arrow).

Please post back.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton icon not always showing up in system tray - how to know it is running?

JohnnyRow wrote:

Is there some easy way I can verify that the Norton security software is in fact running when I can't see the icon?

You can open the program via desktop shortcut (if you have one) or using Open Programs - if it is running, it shoudl show Protected on the main page.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can get to it from Start Programs - I guess I just hadn't thought of that.

But now I am curious about the version.  I'm on Version 3.8.0.41 and live update is up to date and doesn't change that.  If version 4 is fairly new, maybe it's only getting rolled out slowly and selectively.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

The version you are on is old and there was an update in May and again just this past week.  I know, COMCAST should be telling everyone about these updates...... but!  :smileyconfused:

OK, before I go thru corrective action for you, do you have any other Norton programs installed on your system and do you use the Identity Safe function (passwords and cards) with CNSS?

PLease post back with the answers and we'll get you updated from there.

Recognized Contributor

I have no other Norton programs installed.

As to Identity Safe, from the Settings - Quick Controls screen, Identity Safe is clicked on.  But I am not intentionally using it to store any passwords, etc.  I have not initialized it with a password so I don't think I am using it but would not mind losing any info I might accidentally have there.

If the instructions are posted somewhere on the Comcast website, I can follow from there to save you the trouble, but I appreciate you help if you think it best, or the only way, to get it from you.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for your reply and you are correct, if you are not using the Identity Safe there is no reason to save that info, and if you have no other Norton Programs installed, it is safe to use the Norton Removal Tool to insure a clean uninstall.

Remove your current version of NSS via Add/Remove programs.

- Download and run the Norton Removal Tool from here.

Note: You will not need a product key. 

- Reboot after running the Norton Removal Tool.

-  Complete the instructions from this link.

Once activated, run live update as many times as necessary to have it return no more updates available.

Reboot, and double check the version number is 4.3.0.5

- Please post back with the results and did you get the icon in the system tray?

Recognized Contributor

Thanks for all your help.  I might not get to this update tonight but probably tomorrow and will post here how it goes.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

JohnnyRow wrote:

Thanks for all your help.  I might not get to this update tonight but probably tomorrow and will post here how it goes.

No problem - that's what we're here for!