New Visitor
LR-1

Norton is Making my Computer SLOW!!! I want MacAfee BACK!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

While I had MacAfee my computer was running normal. Ever since I installed Norton, my computer started to act up. I knew installing Norton was a bad idea because I have used them before and knew how much slower my computer became. When I got Comcast and heard that MacAfee was the virus provider I was very happy. Now that Norton has taken over Comcast, I am thinking to get another internet provider and buy MacAfee myself.

Can Comcast let you chose between Norton and MacAfee? That would be good.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Norton is Making my Computer SLOW!!! I want MacAfee BACK!!!!!!

The way I understand it, Comcast has a contract with Norton now, so I highly doubt that McAfee would ever be offered as well.

If you are having trouble with Norton on your PC you might want to post in the Security Forum and perhaps one of the Experts can help you.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
JR071702

LR-1 wrote:

While I had MacAfee my computer was running normal. Ever since I installed Norton, my computer started to act up. I knew installing Norton was a bad idea because I have used them before and knew how much slower my computer became. When I got Comcast and heard that MacAfee was the virus provider I was very happy. Now that Norton has taken over Comcast, I am thinking to get another internet provider and buy MacAfee myself.

Can Comcast let you chose between Norton and MacAfee? That would be good.

Just because Comcast offers Norton Security Suite free does not mean that you have to use it.   If you want to buy MacAfee yourself and use it instead of Norton, you are more than free to do so.

JR

New Visitor
therrell310

I just recently downloaded the norton I hope I wont regret it.

Recognized Contributor

You may already be aware so I apologize if repetitive reply:

Before installing norton comcast sec did you run a removal tool for mcafee?

After add and delete its imperative you use the removal tool...anytime you delete programs especially security it will leave files behind that will bog up the next software you load even the same brand can do it.

Also do you run more then one live security (that updates itself?) you cant with norton it wont play nice.

Id advise you to do away with any tool bars too even comcasts it drags the system miserably.

And always use only one firewall.

A run with uninstall tool and then uninstall norton and use its noroton removal tool and a new reinstall will maybe do wonders.  Do a restart after running tool.

Oh and lightening your start up menu load helps tremendously too.

You can do that after you run norton its easy to do with 360 actually. Tho' Id take un ness' stuff of start up menu not just delay start.

Dont forget to hit the update norton button repeatedly with restarts inbetween to have all updates.

Good luck to you.

Step 2 click link from mcafee removal tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

comcast removal tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Contributor

Do yourself a favor and get Microsoft security essentials it runs very well and is free and does not slow down the PC like Norton and MacAfee.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Contributor
jblow

JR071702 said:

Just because Comcast offers Norton Security Suite free does not mean that you have to use it.   If you want to buy MacAfee yourself and use it instead of Norton, you are more than free to do so.

JR

Once again Norton is NOT free ....Comcast pays for it and passes the cost on to us...... to think otherwise is to be naive.....

joe

Bronze Star Contributor

We would have to pay the same price even if they didn't offer a security suite.  At one time years ago Comcast didn't offer an antivirus or firewall, but our bill was the same.  So are we paying for it?  No, they just throw it in to give users protection that some people may not even know they need and I been with a few isps only one offered something Verizon with Msn Premium besides comcast, but now that is gone. I read they stopped offering it to new customers. 

Verizon has a paid antivirus.  I think they changed it to Mcafee when I was with them I think it was by Command.  Be happy comcast offers us anything.  Mcafee or whoever, because they don't have to.  Some other isps don't.

Contributor
jblow

At&T provides a secuity suite by command.......

Verizon provides mcAfee antivirus and firewall....

Brighthouse provides McAfee antivirus and firewall.....

All of the major high speed providers offer some type of secuity included in the cost of the monthly rate.....

You must pay a monthly fee for service to recieve these softwares....if they gave you the software without you giving them your money every month THEN it would be free....I can not explain it any clearer than that so if you still do not understand ......well then we all know what P. T Barnum said................

Bronze Star Contributor

If it's installed correctly, you won't.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20003344-12.html?tag=nl.e404

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

[ Edited ]

jblow wrote:

You must pay a monthly fee for service to recieve these softwares....if they gave you the software without you giving them your money every month THEN it would be free....I can not explain it any clearer than that so if you still do not understand ......well then we all know what P. T Barnum said................

Joe,

I look at it a little differently:  Let's say that you sign up for high speed internet service (from Comcast, Cox, AT&T, etc.) because you need access to the internet.  Let's say that you pay your monthly bill every month and you're happy.  Then all of a sudden one day you get an email from your ISP stating that you can download Norton from them.  How much extra do you have to pay to download and install it?  If you have to pay $0 extra to get it, then I would argue that it is free.

If I was an ISP, I'd want to have everyone on my service have malware protection.  In fact, if it was me, I'd require it.  If you look at the total cost to fight malware, it's probably cheaper to contract with Norton for user PC's and have a medium sized in-house team working on preventing it than to have a huge infrastruture to battle it with only some end user protection.  That's just my (uninformed) opinion.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had Verizon.  I had Netzero.  I know what each one provides.  Verizon offered you Msn Premium.  Msn Premium offered Mcafee for free.  Verizon offers you this http://surround.verizon.net/Shop/Utilities/InternetSecuritySuite.aspx

Is it free?  Verizon doesn't give you msn anymore when you sign up.  I know my dad has verizon dsl.  He lives in this house and guess what?  All the computers in this house have comcast's NSS installed. 

Edit: My dad wouldn't touch Mcafee with a ten foot pole.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

ffwfire wrote:

I know my dad has verizon dsl.  He lives in this house and guess what?  All the computers in this house have comcast's NSS installed. 

Come on ffwfire - are you freely admitting that you dad is on Verizon DSL and you have installed NSS on his system illegally?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can use NSS on computers that are in your house.  I know I looked it up.  Nothing illegal about it.  You can install NSS on 7 computers in your house.  Besides Comcast is in my dad's name.  SO nice try there is nothing illegal about it.  Look it up if you don't believe.  I did.

Edit: All's it says is you have to have a comcast e-mail address.  Guess what?  My dad does.  He is the main account and the one who pays for it.  I do not like to be accused of stuff.  Neither do the people who have it installed on all the computers in their house legally.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

keptinkirk wrote:

Do yourself a favor and get Microsoft security essentials it runs very well and is free and does not slow down the PC like Norton and MacAfee.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Make sure you

1) enable the Windows firewall 

OR

2) find a software firewall to install

if you do go with Microsoft Security Essentials. This is antivirus only and people fail to mention that when they recommend it.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

jblow wrote:

At&T provides a secuity suite by command.......

Verizon provides mcAfee antivirus and firewall....

AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee (no extra charge each month)
http://my.att.net/s/s.dll?ep=16148&only=y&ch=se&s=cs

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Services/Secu ritySuite/SecuritySuite.htm

Verizon Internet Security Suite

Surf the Web with Confidence.

The Verizon Internet Security Suite packs all the protective punch you need to keep you and your family safe online with our simple, easy-to-use, 'set it-and-forget-it' solution. With automatic malware updates and scheduled virus and spyware scans right out of the box, Verizon delivers 24/7 protection against the latest threats.

• Now with 6 great new security features!
• Now also available for Macintosh: Anti-virus/Anti-spyware, Two-way Firewall
  Protection, Family Protection Parental Controls (some features).
• First 30 days FREE for new subscribers who order online.

For up to 3 computers $5.99/month*
For up to 6 computers $10.98/month*
For up to 9 computers $15.97/month*

Ready to buy? (Verizon Internet service required)

* Internet access services and charges not included. New online orders receive first 30 days at no charge. Monthly fees apply thereafter. ©2008 Verizon.

1) doesn't say who produces this for Verizon (if indeed anyone does. I did a quick check of several ISP's and their security offerings for customers say Powered by McAfee, F Secure, or other manufacturer. Verizon did not say Powered By, although it is possible that they do partner with someone to produce it. Personally, I would want to know who that someone is before I used it) and you can try it before you take advantage of having the extra charge on your bill each month

2) Do the math using the lowest rate:

5.99x12=$71.88 per year

Ordering McAfee Total Protection 2010 from McAfee: $39.99 (current special offer)

Ordering McAfee Internet Security 21010 suite from McAfee: $34.99 (currently a special offer, regular price $69.99)-3 pc's for one year

Office Depot: McAfee Internet Security for 1 pc for 1 year: $59.99 for Internet Security 2010

McAfee Internet Security for 3 pc's for 1 year: $79.99 for Internet Security 2010 (a bit higher than the total per year with Verizon, but sometimes they will have it on sale)

Walmart: McAfee Internet Security for 1 pc for 1 year: $27.22 for Internet Security 2010

McAfee Internet Security for 3 pc's for 1 year: $25.82 for Internet Security 2010 (these are online prices, in store prices will vary from online prices)

Not much difference in the cost for 3 pc's from McAfee and Office Depot, only you can decide which option is best for you.

If you switch to Verizon, try their security, like it, pay extra on your bill.

Don't like it and you'll have to purchase something else OR use free firewall and antivirus (there are some good free programs available)

I long since ceased to be amazed at the number of people who scream TIME TO SWITCH ISP's without taking the time to research and find out exactly what that ISP offers. What would you switch to if an ISP you were considering offered a free security suite and that suite was also Norton?  

IF you really do switch ISP's over something like a security suite, do your research first-what they offer and is it free, discounted for their customers or is there an extra charge on your bill each month for it.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you want to know how bad Verizon is?  That is how we ended up with Netzero.  They said my dad owed them money.  They disabled my e-mail account.  I told my dad.  He called them.  He paid the bill leaving a 0.00 balance and anyway it happened two other times where they disabled my e-mail till finally they cut the internet connection.  We signed up for Netzero immediately after thaf after we realized they weren't going to get us hooked back up without them getting paid again.  We didn't like them accusing us of money they already got saying we owed them more money.  They hounded my dad till he went to the bank and sended them proof that he paid it and that they disconnected our internet unfairly.  They didn't even apologize.

There was only one thing I liked about Verizon.  That they offered Msn Premium with it because with msn premium you got Mcafee Antivirus, Mcafee firewall, and also Webroot Spysweeper.  They don't offer that anymore.  So now you don't get anything you don't have to pay for.

Service Expert
Bartleby

Per the following link:

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2008/verizon-targets-online-schemes.html

Verizon's VISS offering "utilizes advanced technology from Radialpoint, provider of managed internet security services."

http://www.radialpoint.com/en/service-offerings/internet-security/index.php

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

If only they didn't charge for Verizon Internet Security Suite.

"March 25, 2008 –

NEW YORK"

They used to use someone else for their internet security suite.  They use Mcafee now, but it is not free and it wasn't then.

Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]

Sorry about posting that older link, I should have dug a little deeper.  :smileyblush:

Verizon has indeed partnered with McAfee more recently.

Here's something more current (January, 2010):

Verizon to Provide Upgraded Internet Security Suite Powered by McAfee

EDIT:  To note that there are indications in the Verizon forums that Radialpoint was providing the solution until this year, despite the 2008 date on the newscenter article I linked to earlier.  And even that Kaspersky components figured into the mix, somehow--specifically KAV.)

An indication that other ISPs keep looking for alternatives, and that their offerings to customers don't remain static.  And are often less "free" than Comcast's, in this regard.

Bronze Star Contributor

I use to use VIS at one time.  When I was a member of Verizon dsl.  VIS is okay.  I don't know I didn't keep it for long so I couldn't have liked it that much, but I like Norton better.  I thought it was powered by Command Antivirus at the time.

New Visitor
FredBz

I agree. I have 4 desktop computers and two laptops working together in a network for over 10 years.

Not only is norton a big hassle, but it slows down all of my computers. The reason for this is it's too big and there are too many choices. You have to completely learn the program and all its quirks and who has time for that. Speaking with IT professionals most of them don't even have a anti virus program. I keep hearing that anti virus programs are totally unnecessary. Food for thought.....!!!! 

Connection Expert
EG

FredBz wrote:

I keep hearing that anti virus programs are totally unnecessary.

Surely they jest !

Food for thought.....!!!! 

I'd rather starve than ingest that food....

Visitor

I ran for years with McAfee and it was great....Norton NOW my system is SLOW and I'm unable to determin the issue. My profession is involves credit card security via e-commerce what has Comcast done?

Security Expert
CWH803

Fred said "I keep hearing that anti virus programs are totally unnecessary."

I'd describe this assertion as incorrect and uniformed.

Malware comes in so many forms that multiple, overlapping tools and procedures are needed to maximize your protection.  I would recommend that you install, update, and run all of these useful protector/blocker and scanner/cleaner Anti-malware tools and Procedures. <- clickable link

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Security Expert
CWH803

[ Edited ]

BLP is unable to make the "Free from Comcast" Norton Security Suite function satisfactorily.

I'd switch to a security suite that is satisfactory.

Suites that I would recommend you consider are Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) which is free from Microsoft and uses the Windows Firewall if you have no other, Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS), TREND MICRO Internet Security, Symantec’s Norton 360™, which is free from Comcast as Norton Security Suite, Norton™ Internet Security (NIS), ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security (ZES), or McAfee Internet Security (MIS).

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Service Expert
Bartleby

bpl7231956 wrote:

I ran for years with McAfee and it was great....Norton NOW my system is SLOW and I'm unable to determin the issue. My profession is involves credit card security via e-commerce what has Comcast done?

(Posted to add to CWH803's info.)

bpl.....

Can you provide more information on what problem determination steps you've performed?  We don't know what sort of system is involved, or whether it meets the requirements for running Norton.

Also, did you completely remove McAfee (and if so, how?), prior to switching to Comcast's Norton offering?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I totally agree with Bartleby,we really need more info than what bpl7231956 provided in order to suggest the best route to arrive at a satisfactory solution.

Even if an alternate security suite was selected, and McAfee was not totally removed, problems/conflicts could occur.

Specifically we need to know if the McAfee removal tool was run.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
DennyRay1

I have the same trouble. Norton is a huge program! 81.45 mb. It uses up alot of system resources because it is so big. Do you have trouble with ccSvcHst.exe in your task manager using alot of your CPU usage also? I know norton 360 has this problem.