New Visitor

Norton toolbar incompatible with Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

I installed Windows 8.1 and the Norton toolbar disappeared. When I checked the add-ins all Norton were listed as incompatible so I can't get to my identity safe.Norton says that release 21.1.0.18 is compatible with IE 11.

Contributor

Re: Norton toolbar incompatible with Windows 8.1

Same situation here .. however the identity safe, and toolbar work on Chrome and FF .. I keep an extra browser just in case any issues with any of them .. even though IE11 is my primary browser

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi ALl,

See this announcement on the Norton Forums.

Let us know if it works.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

There is the problem ... Comcast version of Norton Security Suite is not version 21.1.0.18 it's 20. etc ... even though based on Norton 360 engine I think ... Comcast needs to update their corp version and make available to customers

New Visitor

Just ran Norton update and it is still not working. Comcast needs to make the latest Version of Norton available for Comcast users.

Contributor
armsofmadness

USAF_E-8_RET or Yank:

Notice how they are talking about the add-ons on IE 11.

The link you provide is for FF and Chrome.

The IE 11 add-ons on NSS from Comcast are STILL incompatible, even with the work around of disabling Enhanced Protected Mode on IE 11.

I had a chat with Symantec on Friday and they told me that they are WORKING on it and that the solution for Norton's IE 11 add-ons (other than NSS from Comcast), is to disable Enhanced Protected Mode on IE 11 (which is not recommended, by the way.)

That solution DOES NOT work on IE 11 add- ons with NSS from Comcast.

Unless you have another solution that I'm not aware off.

And this note is NOT being posted to start a "who knows better about..." - so no need for others to assume and jump to conclusion that I am somehow trying to undermine your knowledge because I know you've been around for ages!

PLEASE advice!!!

~Namasté~

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Just to confirm.

I have NIS 2014 installed (not from Comcast). Norton Vulnerability Protection is version 12.0.2.8-1 for Firefox. For Chrome I only show the Identity Protection module installed and it'smanually disabled since I use a different password management program.

However for Internet Explorer 11 the installed version is 12.0.1.0. It is shown as incompatible and disabled!

OS is Windows 8.1 Pro.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

Hi armsofmadness,

I don't know why I referenced that link - old age I guess??   Sorry that it doesnt seem to apply.

In regards to IE11 add-ons, they do not and will not work with NSS version 20.4.0.40.  The only version of any Norton prodyuct that IE 11 will be compatable with is 21.1.0.18, which NSS will be updated to eventually, can not be updated until such time as NSS is upgraded to version 21.0 

Perhaps this link explains what I am saying better.

Also in regards to the work around as viveksu (Norton Employee) explains in his response:

Temporary Workaround if your Tool Bar not shown even if you have 21.1.0.18:- 

You can Disable Enhanced Protected Mode from IE11 browser and use Norton Tool Bar. You can find EPM under Open "IE11" -> Click "Tools" Menu -> Click "Options" -> Click "Advanced" -> Uncheck "Enhanced Protceted Mode" and re-launch IE11.

You can see that the workaround only applies if you have 21.1.0.18 and still do not have the NTB.

I am not a Win 8 user, so not totally up to speed on it, nor 8.1 (as it appears not many folks are), so take the rest of this with a grain of salt - I may be out in left field.

As for a work around for using NSS (current version 20.4.0.40)  with Windows 8.1 - I don't believe there is one.  I am under the impression you must be on version 21 for Win 8.1 to function 100% (now that's an oxymoron).  

That said, can you install IE 10 with Win 8.1?  I understand IE 11 is loaded with or as part of Win 8.1???

I don't know if this info is any assistance or not, but there are a few threads on the Norton Forums in regards to this situation that may provide more info that you are seeking.

<EDIT> Thanks LPP - as I said others know more than I do about win 8/8.1!   :smileywink:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

:smileylove::smileylove::smileysilly: yep, seems those of us using Comcast NSS will have to wait for update through them .. thanks for clarification ... for those trying to get into ID safe .. suggest you install additional browser like Chrome or FF and do the deed with Norton toolbar with them .. ID Safe will work through them on Win 8.1 .. have verified on my own 'puter .. at least on Win 8.1 pro ... good luck .. guess it's a lesson in patience and alternatives/backups for us all .. lalalalal

New Visitor

Well, this is crazy. I already had enable enhanced protection mode turned off and still no identity safe. Not at all sure what I did but now ID safe is working and Norton toolbar and IDProtection are enabled but Vunerability protection is not and I get a firewall warning from Norton. Norton release shows 20.4.0.40

Contributor

might need to turn on Windows firewall if Norton's isn't on .. weird

New Visitor
rogercrooks

I also talked to Norton support today.  After saying Win 8.1 is still in beta, he then said a new version would be out end of next week that is compatible with Win 81.  Norton forums said a release was sent out on the 17th but I cannot find it.  Of course the other problem is as stated above, the Comcast version is V20.x  and we need V21.  Norton Live Update does not show any updates available to us.  So I am hoping that when this new version is released, all Comcast customers will be able to get it.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

The bottom line is as it always has been, now in the past and probably in the future - when Comcast desires to place it on their server it will be available - until then y'all will just have to wait.

Yea, I don't like the way Comcast ignores the users neither!

Contributor

I am also having teh same problem.  As th ebeta version of 8.1 has been out for so long, I owuld have expected that this would have been resolved by now.  Very dissappointed!

Contributor

MikehWyatt ... considering this is not a beta release now, surely the Norton issue had shown up with Comcast or other bundled versions of Norton vs. IE11 when in Beta ... then again not sure if after Microsoft released beta versions if other vendors tested own plug ins, etc to see if compatible ... always a good idea to have all critical passwords, etc... files, backed up somewhere ..in the case of passwords always have a "hard copy" in a notebook or firebox for such occasions as losing or not have onboard access to them ... like in the Norton ID Safe ... hoping they'll get it fixed soon, in the meantime if you have Chrome or FF the Norton Toolbar/ID safe works with them in Win 8.1 [I'm using Win 8.1 Pro with Media Center]

New Visitor

OK mine started working but I did not know what I did to fix it. Yesterday I had to do a system restore to a point right after I installed 8.1 and again Norton Toolbar disappeared. Went into tools and disabled enhanced protection mode and restarted computer and Norton is back so the restart fixed the problem.

Contributor

My Norton became a bit unstable.  So I uninstalled and intended to re-install.  But it would not re-install.  Norton were very helpful, and told me that the Comcast version is incompatible with 8.1 and will not install.  I am currently running a trial version of Norton until Comcast gets its fix together.  However, with their track record with Plaxo, I am getting very concerned!

DO NOT un-INSTALL YOUR NORTON SUITE!!

Oh Comcast!  When I spell check this post, it does not recognize Comcast and wants to replace with Compact!

New Visitor
rogercrooks

You can get everything working again without any upgrade by turning off "Enhanced Protected Mode".  Go to Internet Options, Advanced Tab, scroll down the Security section and uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and then reboot.

Regular Visitor

rogercrooks wrote:

You can get everything working again without any upgrade by turning off "Enhanced Protected Mode".  Go to Internet Options, Advanced Tab, scroll down the Security section and uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and then reboot.

Thanks! Worked like a charm... I'll re-enable after Symantec posts a fix.

Visitor

Norton toolbar works just fine  in IEn11on my laptop Win 8 home which upgraded to win 8.1 thru store i

BUT, my desktop win 8 pro was updated via dvd to win 8.1 and NO norton toolbar in IE11. Both com puters are on home network using same comcast router.

I recently installed Comcast norton on the laptop.  How can I tell what version of Norton I am running on the desktop and on the laptop.  Perhaps the newly download version is better.

So, how to you know what versiion on norton is running?  Could this be the problem??

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Mangomama,

Open Norton security Suite (NSS), from the main page select Support ad then About from the drop down menu.  Tell us which version you have installed on each and we'll go from there.