New Visitor
kaitlin328

Norton won't install!!!

Hi i keep trying to install norton from the constant guard security suite but i keep getting the message "to continue installation, make sure the network control panel is closed. if this message continues to appear, restart your PC and try again." I've tried restarting the PC, i have gone to the technical support page for this problem, followed all the steps and still nothing. in the task manager there is no "network control panel" running. anything i can do here to fix this problem that i haven't already tried?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: Norton won't install!!!

You don't want the Constant Guard Protection Suite at this time. It's not ready for prime time.

Norton is ok, and you can download just the Comcast/Norton Security Suite from this link:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

Please post back and let us know the result.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor
kaitlin328

that page is exactly the same page as the constant guard sends me to, i tried downloading through there and i got the same error message.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Is any of the Constant Guard Protection Suite installed?

Look under Add/Remove Programs for GuardedID and/or Constant Guard

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

New Visitor
kaitlin328

i have both constant guard and guarded id installed

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Uninstall Constant Guard using Add/Remove Programs. That should also remove GuardedID (you don't want this program). If it does not, the uninstall GuardedID via Add/Remove Programs as well. Then reboot your computer.

You should now be able to download and install Norton from the link I posted above. Do not use the CGPS link!

Post back and let us know.

Mark Twain

New Visitor
kaitlin328

i just tried to install norton with the constant guard suite uninstalled, and i still keep getting the same error message about the network control panel

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

OK, Ill try to to contact a Norton employee who graciously helps out here. Watch this thread for an answer.

Mark Twain

New Visitor
Can_Do

Comcast has cancelled Norton™ Security Suite with no notice to subscribers, leaving you with no virus protection. I was told by the CSR I called (2 days ago) to just go buy my Anti-Virus software, that's what he did. He said that the Norton™ Security Suite was only a promotion and they might get it back or another Virus protection from someone different.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Can_Do wrote:

Comcast has cancelled Norton™ Security Suite with no notice to subscribers, leaving you with no virus protection. I was told by the CSR I called (2 days ago) to just go buy my Anti-Virus software, that's what he did. He said that the Norton™ Security Suite was only a promotion and they might get it back or another Virus protection from someone different.

MInd sharing the name and location of the CSR that told you that. It's simply not true.

Mark Twain

Norton Expert
JonMcB_Norton

@ Kaitlin328

Are you able to take a screenshot of the error message and post it back for us to see?

Try these steps, and let us know how it goes:

Depending on your version of Windows, do one of the following:

• In Windows 7 or Vista: Click Start, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

• In Windows XP: Click Start > Run.

In the Run dialog box, type the following text: services.msc

Click OK.

If the User Account Control window prompted, click Continue in the User Account Control window.

In the Services box, locate and double-click the Remote Procedure Call service.

To the right of Startup type, verify that Automatic appears. If Startup type is not Automatic, then in the drop-down list, click Automatic.

To the right of Service Status, verify that Started appears. If the Service status is not Started, then click Start.

Click OK.

Exit the Services window.

Reinstall your Norton product

( from http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090520162201EN&ln=en_US )

Norton Expert
JonMcB_Norton

@Can_Do

The information in your post, as LoPhat indicates, is false.  The NSS product through Comcast has not been cancelled and is still available to Comcast internet subscribers at no additional cost.

If you receive a message on your system indicating that your 'service has been cancelled' from Norton Security Suite, this means that your subscription was cancelled due to cancelling your Comcast High Speed Internet subscription.  If you did not cancel your Comcast/Xfinity internet subscription and received this message, then your account was erroniously reported as cancelled and I can have that fixed for you.

If this is the case for you, send me a private message and I can work with you that way, or you can contact Norton support for NSS at Norton.com/comcast, start a chat support session, report the issue, and they will escalate it to me.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Administrator
ComcastLarry

We have not dropped our security suite for customers.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

EedUpX10, your post here has been merged with the thread you started about this issue. Please keep everything in one place-it makes it easier for us to help you.