Contributor

Norton won't start

When I install Norton Security from your site it does not launch AND does not allow Firefox or Internet Explorer to start.  I have repeatedly scanned my computer with two other programs and no spyware is found.  This is very frustrating as it used to work.

Please help.

I am using Win 7 Pro 64 bit, but don't blame it on being 64 bit as it worked up until the day before yesterday and I have done a thorough examination of my computer and software.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Norton won't start

[ Edited ]

theresa_n wrote:

When I install Norton Security from your site it does not launch AND does not allow Firefox or Internet Explorer to start.  I have repeatedly scanned my computer with two other programs and no spyware is found.  This is very frustrating as it used to work.

Please help.

I am using Win 7 Pro 64 bit, but don't blame it on being 64 bit as it worked up until the day before yesterday and I have done a thorough examination of my computer and software.

Hi teresa_n and welcome to the forums.

I am a bit confused with your statement as to "when I install Norton" followed by "it used to work".  Have you at one point in time had Norton Secutiry Suite from Comcast installed and working on your system?Or are you referring to IE/FF use to work (before the Norton installation was attempted)?

There are many factors to consider here, did you have any other Anti-Virus programs installed when you tried to install Norton?  If so, how were they removed?  In some cases, in additon to the normall add/remove program action, a "removal tool" for that specific Av needs to be run also.  Any remant of another AV program can corrupt the install of Norton.

Please post back with clarification on your statements, if in fact you have attempted to remove Norton after the failed install and any other info you may be able to provide in regards to the question about other/former AV programs.

<EDIT>  One more quick thought - have you rebooted since you attempted to install Norton, if not try that.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

I meant what I said.  I've had Nortons installed since you changed from McAfee.  About two days ago it no longer appeared "in the dock" and at the same time stopped Firefox AND Internet Explorer from launching.  I took it off my system and the browsers started working.  I did nothing to change my system.  Right now I am operating without it because I cannot access the internet once it is loaded.  I have replaced video drivers and other programs and it still does not work, indeed it won't let me go online.  I have also ran virus checks using other scanners and none was found.

Exactly what I said when I asked for help.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

So what you meant was that you did in fact have Norton installed and working  before out of the clear blue sky, it "disappeared from the dock" and at the same time you could no longer access the internet.

- Go to this post and perform the steps for McAfee Removal.  NOTE: Step 2 (Uninstall McAfee from Add/Remove Programs) may not be possible as McAfee may have already been removed.

- The important thing is running the McAfee Removal Tool  - even if McAfee is already removed from the add/remove programs.

- Download and run the Norton Removal Tool from here.

Note: You will not need a product key. 

-  After running the Norton Removal Tool,  reboot your system and complete the Prescribed Install instructions from this thread.

It may sound crazy, but we want to make sure any McAfee remants are removed. and the Norton Removal Tool will remove any remants of the uninstalled NSS which may still exsist.

After the reinstall of NSS, run Manual Liveupdate until it comes back and tells you there are no more updates available.  Then reboot. 

- Please post back with the results.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor

I followed the directions exactly, except for the removal of McAffee because I got a new computer sinsce installing McAffee so it doesn't need removal.  I migrated my system to this computer and Nortons worked fine.  I cannot even uninstall Norton now without going into safe mode.  I am frustrated both with your simplistic responses such as "rebooting after its done."  I have been using PCs since 1983 and I do know how to troubleshoot, yet you assume I don't.  Your militaristic tag line also is inappropriate, especially in these days of the US committing war crimes.

Contributor

I tried installing Norton retail download and it installs but requires a key.  I don't know what to do next and I have decades of computer use and rarely have such a problem.

Contributor

Ok, after installing the retail Norton and uninstall of it, Comcast's Norton installed.  That was the only change I made from the time of running the removal tool until it worked.

Gandhi was asked "what do you think of western civilization?"  Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

You come here asking for help and then take pot shots at folks trying to help you.  Not everyone who comes here is as tech savy as you are, and as a result I try to keep things simple so that those lesser tech savy folks can follow the instructions.  I am sorry if I insulted your level of expertise - which you never indicated until your third post.

Glad you got it working.

Contributor

Well, I was wrong, its not working.  Infact in rebooting it caused a bsod that caused me to loose all my internet history.  After I rebooted from a seemingly successful install it was gone, would not let me uninstall, would not let me access the internet and as said above caused a bsod.  I had to boot into safe mode to uninstall.  I then ran the Norton removal tool again.  I will be waiting for a response that solves this problem.

Thank goodness for WikiLeaks

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Did you catch the BSOD Error Code by chance? 

Is there anything in Event Viewer that would help with your troubleshooting?

Since you have run the Norton Removal Tool again, I'd try one last install using a fresh download from Comcast, clicking on the Get It Now.

If no joy, I would suggest removing Norton (running the removal tool after using add/remove programs) and look into another security product.  It is my understand that Microsoft Essentials works well with Win 7.

Sorry I couldn't help more.  You can always try Comcast Chat (available 24/7) although normally we figiure out things they can not.  I do however believe they the ablility to remortely access your system and do and se things we here in the forums can not accomplish.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

post by Trudy_Scardino removed. Trudy requested removal.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thread closed to prevent addtional posts on this old thread.