Recognized Contributor

PERFORMANCE ALERT CONCERNS!

Norton keeps giving me a "Performance Alert" popup box that says "High CPU usage by Internet Explorer" (or whatever browser I'm using at the time (I use Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer). I notice it most often when playing Cafe World on Facebook, but it happens whatever I'm doing or working on.

Also, last night I noticed an icon on the desktop that I had not installed; it ws for The Weather Channel Desktop. When I tried to uninstall it, it took me online to ask why I wanted to uninstall it.

My computer seems to have slowed down some and seems to drag at times. PLEASE HELP!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: PERFORMANCE ALERT CONCERNS!

slt111954 wrote:

Norton keeps giving me a "Performance Alert" popup box that says "High CPU usage by Internet Explorer" (or whatever browser I'm using at the time (I use Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer). I notice it most often when playing Cafe World on Facebook, but it happens whatever I'm doing or working on.

Could it be that you are low on RAM?  How much do you have installed?  Another suggestions would be to change the Resource Threshold Profile for Alerting to High from it's Medium Default. (Settings > Administrative Settings > under Performance Monitoring.

Also, last night I noticed an icon on the desktop that I had not installed; it ws for The Weather Channel Desktop. When I tried to uninstall it, it took me online to ask why I wanted to uninstall it.

It was probably installed as an add-on with some other programs you installed or something you clicked on, either intentionally or not.  What happens if you answered why you wanted to remove it.  I have seen programs that ask about the reason fro removal - tell you just don't want the thing!  Other suggestionis to Google How to remove Desktop Weather Channel.

My computer seems to have slowed down some and seems to drag at times. PLEASE HELP!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor

I'm not sure about the RAM, I'll have to check and let you know. Didn't think about; what could cause it to be low? I've got lots of clip art images--should I delete some of those? I'll try to change the Resource Threshold Profile settings tonight in a few.

It did ask why I wanted to uninstall and I just exited out of the site and completed the uninstall.

Thanks for replying so quickly; I'll get back with you about the RAM.

Recognized Contributor

Okay, this is what I've come up with; and I don't know WHAT I'm looking at. You'll have to explain it to me.

Memory (RAM)

Capacity 2 GB

Local Disk

Total Capacity: 74.53 GB

Sum of Hard Disks: C

Used: 36.30 GB

Free: 38.33 GB

This is greek to me.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

Your amount of RAM should be sufficient and also your hard drive is not approaching full.

As for your clip images - they should be OK left on the system.  I have quite a few photos on my system and I have noticed that sometimes while they are loading my system bogs a bit - but once loaded, everything is back to normal.

Do you by chance have any other security programs installed that could be running in the background?

<edit>  There is some good info in the post by Ashwini in this thread: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/PLEASE-HELP/m-p/488516/highlight/true#M50316  <edit>

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor

I looked at the post by Ashwini you recommended and this is what I came up with about the version of Windows I'm using:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

32 bit

I'm using the COMCAST version of Norton installed from this site (maybe I should upgrade?)

Thanks for your patience

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I think you did not totally follow what that post wanted you to do, so let's try something different.

On the main screen of Norton, click on Tasks and then on Check Security History.  Click on the down arrow at the end of the Block labeled Recent History.  Scroll down on the drop down menu until you find Performance Alert and click on it.

The page will display your Performance Alerts.  You can obtain information about which program or file is causing the alert.  In your case, it will be labeled High CPU useage by: and name of the guilty function.

You can check more of the Alerts and try to see if it is the same cause in all browsers.

I understand that you are using the Comcast Version - Norton 360 that was referenced in the Norton link is basically the same program and the fix/procedure would be the same for both programs.

You mentioned upgrade, do this, on main page of Norton, Click on Support, and then ABOUT from the drop-down menu.  Please post back with the version number, and we'll decide if an upgrade is required.

Recognized Contributor

The Performance Alerts I found started on 8/2/11 most of them are Google Chrome; but there were a few othres:

High CPU usage by: Goggle Chrome (most of them)

High CPU usage by: Internet Explorer

High CPU usage by: gameinstaller.exe

High CPU usage by: Plugin Container for Firefox

High CPU usage by: Mysery Case Files: Dire Grove (TM)

High CPU usuae by: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (this could have been the weather channel that I uninstalled)

The version of Norton I have installed is: 5.1.0.29

Have to run out for a couple of hours and will check back when I return.

Thanks a whole lot for helping

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

slt111954 wrote:

The Performance Alerts I found started on 8/2/11 most of them are Google Chrome; but there were a few othres:

High CPU usage by: Goggle Chrome (most of them)

High CPU usage by: Internet Explorer

High CPU usage by: gameinstaller.exe

High CPU usage by: Plugin Container for Firefox

High CPU usage by: Mysery Case Files: Dire Grove (TM)

High CPU usuae by: Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (this could have been the weather channel that I uninstalled)

The version of Norton I have installed is: 5.1.0.29

Have to run out for a couple of hours and will check back when I return.

Thanks a whole lot for helping

Thanks for the feedback - a coupoe of things stand out in my mind

- Google Chrome is currently not compatable for use with Norton (Actually, Norton is not compatible with Chrome, but Norton is working thru their 2012 Betas at present and it is rumored that Norton will be compatible with Chrome after the next upgrade - but do not hold your breath - your version will probably not be upgraded until June or so of nect year.

-  Game installer.exe is part of a RealArcade game product - it could use high cpu during the install of a game (Have you installed a game from them at the time the alert occured?)

-  Mystery Case Files - also appears to be related to another game, so it would not surprise me to see high cpu usage reported - especially if you have something else running at the same time.

- The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool  has caused cpu useage problems on some systems.  It is usually downloaded and run automatically via Windows Updates (2nd Tuesday of each month) Was that report dated Aug 9 (maybe the 10th depending on when Windows Update downloaded)?

IMHO - nothing to worry about as it is normally a once a month occurence.  BTW, it is not part of the Weather Channel.

-  I would suggest you Google High CPU usage for Plugin Container and Internet Explorer, as thee seems to be quite a few casues for those and you'll have to figure out if one or any apply to your system.

Last but not least - did you change the Resource Threshold Profile for Alerting to High from it's Medium Default. (Settings > Administrative Settings > under Performance Monitoring.  What results did that provide?

Recognized Contributor

I did change the Resource Threshold Profile for Alerting as you suggested; I still get the alerts, but not as often.

I do play a number of games from Big Fish and RealArcade, but try to delete those that I have actually purchased--I'll go through and delete any that I don't own sometime tonight.

Thanks, again for your help.