New Visitor

Plaxo program - False Spam reports to Comcast

Needless to say, I am upset with the fact that I use a program called Plaxo which is a program designed to keep my contacts updated with my current contact changes as well as allowing other contacts of mine to keep me updated as well. Just used the program to update my contacts, some 1500 I have, now have some horses rearend who wants to be cute reporting to Comcast that my IP address is spaming them, even though they are members of Plaxo as well. How do I turn the tables and report them for reporting false spam reports to Comcast.

Plaxo is very ligit busiess, with all of the legally necessary requirements for anyone that wants to stop being contacted, but there are always jerks that want to cause trouble. Now is the time to stop this type of false reporting when they were too damn lazy to click on the button and be asked to be removed my list.

Anyone with ideas on how to turn the table on false reporting of spam, please let me know.

Thanks
Email Expert

Re: Plaxo program - False Spam reports to Comcast

I think you should report them to Plaxo's abuse group.
New Visitor

Thanks, that would be great idea, however, Comcast does not identify the spam reporter, on sends an email claiming that someone has reported the spam. So without the identity of the person making the false report, Plaxo would have no way of tracking that person(s) in my contact database.
Email Expert

Then just reply to Comcast, explaining that the mail he was complaining about is from a service that he specifically signed up for. Refer them to Plaxo's web page, which explains the service.

I'm not familiar with Plaxo, but I'm a member of LinkedIn, a professional contact network. In this case, all the automated emails that are sent come from linkedin.com, not members' personal addresses. Maybe you should ask Plaxo if they can operate this way, so that customers would not be blamed for their emails.
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

Anon1456529,

You would need to submit an email to the Comcast abuse team (abuse@comcast.net). For your issue, make sure you include as much detail as possible to describe the issue. Due to Comcast's privacy policy, they likely will not be able to disclose any identifying information regarding this individual but they can contact Plaxo to settle this issue. Additionally, you may want to also follow Barmar's suggestion and CC the Plaxo abuse team on the email to alert them of the issue.
Email Expert
madylarian

> Now is the time to stop this type
> of false reporting when they were too damn lazy to
> click on the button and be asked to be removed my
> list.

I've always made it a point to NEVER respond to Plaxo requests. I don't report them as spam, though I have sometimes been tempted. You see, it's not a matter of being too "lazy" to click a "remove" button. The fact is that I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO!!! Just because my address may be in your addressbook does mean I have agreed to be put any "list". Did you get permission from all the people on your "list"?

Personally, I have found that the large majority of Plaxo requests have come from people I hardly know but who consider me a "business" contact whether or not I ever wanted to business with them. And of course, how do I even know that those requests come from a "ligit busiess" instead of a spammer trying to confirm my address? It's not my responsibility to research each and every such request that hits my inbox. If I want to make sure that someone has my most recent email address I'll send it to them.

Sorry, but if you didn't take the hint and stop sending Plaxo requests to people who obviously didn't want them, then you are a spammer.

mady
Honi soit qui mal y pense
New Visitor

Understand your concern, it is legit, however, that was not the case here. Sometimes people do business with you with one company, then when update stating you are now with another company and almost all my list I have had for some 4 years. And there have been several updates in that time, only not a spam complaint with the same people who now want to complain. They had ample time to complain to any number of update before now.

It this case someone was probably in a bad mood or did not recognize the name but should have recognized my picture and home address and phone which had not changed in four years.

So I understand your concern, and you are right to be cautious, but I believe this is a case of someone just being a jerk.
Email Expert
madylarian

> Understand your concern, it is legit, however, that
> was not the case here.

Well, "legit" could be a matter of opinion. Again, are you just announcing an address change or asking people to confirm theirs? All of the Plaxo email I've gotten asks me to confirm my address and that is something I (and more and more others as well, it would seem) find unacceptable. I don't care how long my address has been on anyone's "list". If it was done without permission, no matter how long ago, it is just plain not acceptable. Period.

mady
New Visitor

Are you posting here regarding my situation or just want to complain about Plaxo. All of my contacts I have permission to contact. As I stated earlier, they have been contacted on several occasions without incident. I would appreciate you responding regarding those that report illegal spam where there was none, than to argue the point of whether Plaxo is the type of program I or anyone else should use. I would ask you to start anyother post if that is your intent.
Email Expert
madylarian

> I would appreciate you responding
> regarding those that report illegal spam where there
> was none....

Well, I thought I was. The fact is that what you experienced is pretty common for those who run/manage large lists of any kind, even those that are double opt-in. People forget. People click the wrong button. People change email addresses and someone else sets it up. Yet you took the attitude that the person was a jerk who wanted to cause trouble. This was certainly bound to happen with a program such as Plaxo and a list of 1500. Such occurences are part of the cost of using such a program to manage such a large list, especially in this era of spam.

Just for the heck of it I took a look at Plaxo's website and one of the things they recommend is that you do not send Plaxo messages to contacts who have not responded to two previous ones. Have all of your contacts replied to previous messages?

mady
New Visitor

To answer your question yes they did. The problem with any list as you stated is that people forget. I can understand that. What I don't understand and don't think is the type of effort someone should or would do is to report spam when Plaxo is set up using all the necessary tools and conditions to prevent spam, and to make it simple to just click on a button, and poof, your off the list. Its that simple. Is that too much to ask for?

Instead, you have some jerk that even though everything was done legal, and they have responded before to such emails and I have received many, many such emails updating their contact info to me, that they go out of their way to try and file a report claiming spam when it just did not happen. It would certainly be nice to hope that people would just pull their head out of their rear end and click on the button that says take me off your list.

I don't know maybe that is just to much to hope for these days. There are just people in the world that will go to all that time and effort, just to be that anal retentive.

So please, just OPT OUT.
Email Expert
madylarian

> What I don't understand and
> don't think is the type of effort someone should or
> would do is to report spam when Plaxo is set up using
> all the necessary tools and conditions to prevent
> spam, and to make it simple to just click on a
> button, and poof, your off the list. Its that
> simple. Is that too much to ask for?

You're not getting it. Yes, it's too much to ask for these days. Every piece of spam comes with an opt out link and we all know how much good they do. Every phish attempt and piece of infected email comes with some kind of "click here" link which leads to fake sites, malware, adware or some kind of unwanted bit of software being installed. And many of them are very hard to tell from the real thing. It often takes some real digging to tell the difference and not everyone even knows how to do this. Even Comcast has this problem as evidenced by the many reports to abuse after the last mailing about online bill paying. So for you to insist that people click a link in your email to opt out because they should know it's real is, I think, not only unrealistic but unreasonable.

mady