Visitor

Re: BOT REMOVAL

The comcast norton security wont remove the bot. The e-mail they send you with the alert with the help to remove the bot are not free... I guess the fifty bucks i pay for the internet thru comcast just aint enough for "free" help

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Manyh website offer assistance with free malware/bot removal. See the link below for more information.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Where-to-Seek-Malware-Removal-Assistance/m-p/88...

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Visitor

I am having the same problem, I pay through the nose for internet also, I had trouble with Constant Guard, had to reinstall it, and now am getting BOT notices.  I was on the phone for hours yesterday, and talked to 11 people, at several different referred phone numbers, and no body knew what to do.  Norton scanned my computer three times, and couldn't find anything, my last referral was to someone that wanted $200 to fix it.  My question would be, why would Norton your best security, worth hundreds, so a person doesn't need anything else with your internet, let me get a BOT?  Is this your way of making money back to pay Norton for being free to us..That is a lot of money, when I am already paying $55.00 for internet.

New Visitor
screwedalso

Yes, I believe that norton puts the bot on the computer so you have to sign up for thier signature service and pay MORE to have the bot remove.   I'm having the sAme problem and never had this kind of hassle with FIOS.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Your name is not really all that original if that is what you had intended.

Also, you need to look closer at the Xfinity Signature Service offered as part of the Bot remediation - it is not part of Norton.

Perhaps the following will assist you:

How to contact the Comcast Customer Security Assurance Department:

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor

While according to Comcast, Norton is one of the best security systems, and comes with their internet package, which I used to agree with, they had no trouble getting past my firewall without me shutting it off, to check my computer for the bot, and couldnt find it, however, Norton, was one of the things that swayed me towards Comcast.  I have worked with their security dept, and several other people that dont know what they were doing, but trying to help me anyway, before referring me to the Signature Service Dept.  Now, after a couple of months I am finding, that Norton isnt all that good, or their malware protection, isnt up to what they led me to believe.  I would love nothing more for them to fix it, however, I am learning even though they tell me how good they are, they let this happen, and cant fix it!  I am disabled, and on a fixed income, and depend on my computer to pay my bills and do my banking.  I cant afford $200  to fix something that they let happen.  If I had that kind of money, I could eat better!!!!!!  (Just a comparison.)

New Visitor
G4BRI3L

FYI does anyone find it a bit odd that only comcast service can pick this up. Not to mention that only they can remove this so called Bot. I have been on the phone as well for hrs and had 3 diff ppl from comcast and Norton tell me its a known issue with Xfinity trying to sell you their service. I feel its a scam and frankly a pretty sad thing to do to hard working comcast customers. I bet you pay for this service you will find another expensive bot removal around the corner. Its a sad scam created to generate revenue for xfinity and they better pray their not infringing on my rights or breaking any laws. The Bot it said I had was not even a know bot in all of the searches I did on the internet. To me that spells SCAM

New Visitor
desin89

I am disabled too and I use a freeware program from CNET called spybot-search and destroy. I have updated all my java, shockwave, adobe etc .  I have a freeware program called Glarys that is a registry cleaner so if that helps out for those who have like me and and the other disabled - yeah it is hard to pay for every thing!

Hope it helps.

New Visitor
wolfantix

Norton's is absolute trash which is why it is offered for free. Avast AV is better and Kaspersky is the top mainstream cosumer AV soft around (in my professional oppinion). If you got a Bot, go to www.thisdamncomputer.com and look for advice there. Comcast is in to make money off us, and like many other buisnesses, they will guide you to places where you will get more bugs so they can charge you more to fix them.

And when all else fails....backup, clean wipe, reinstall.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi wolfantix,

Thank you for your "professional opinion" and for warning us that Comcast will "guide you to places where you will get more bugs".  We are especially thankful for the link you provided that throws Error 403 - Access Forbidden!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
wolfantix

[ Edited ]

>Laugh< I love technology, I made the post from my supposed "Smart" phone. At any rate the website is supposed to be www.bleepingcomputer.com. That other (non existant) web site is some weird insert by the WP8 auto correct from a prior conversation.

Love having egg on my face :manembarrassed:

Anyways go there and investigate some of the anti-malware programs. In fact I challenge you to download Hitman Pro, run the scan, and tell me it didn't locate any form of malware that Norton's or any other common AV software could find. Symantic's programs are not configured to look for algorithms which indicate there is a root-kit sitting in your MBR, and normal AV soft wouldn't even consider looking in the VBR for the most advanced root-kits. They barely scratch at the surface at locating infected kernals.

Comcast is the best ISP around and I get great customer service from them for normal interactions. But lets not kid the troops here, just like the free software advertised to optimize your slow PC, Constant Guard will also add programs that will allow malware to get in on some level, how else are they going to make a profit off providing a service if they give that service away for free or provide a long term solution. Same with Symantic.

I have been in IT for 18 years and I can tell you that this is a common practice in the industry. Thats why it is up to the consumer to do their homework and arm themselves with the tools to protect themselves, which is what the experts DONT want you to do.

And thank you so much for the trollific sarcasm, your humor is a sunny spot for everyone.:smileywink:

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi wolfantix,

Glad you enjoyed my tongue in cheek response.  :smileywink:

Thanks for clearing up the link situation.  I agree 100 % that one AV is not the answer to 100% security.  I also use addtional on demand scanners, my choices are MBAM and SAS.  I have heard good things about Hitman Pro - although never used it.  Many of the "malware scanners" do detect things Norton does not - such as PUP's which Norton generally does not intentionally detect.