Contributor
robinsonsb

Re: Norton Security System not working

Same thing is happening to me.  I have the Constant Guard icon in my tray, but Norton icon has disappeared.  I have tried to open Norton from my desktop icon, and what I get is a small rectangle that has a semblance of the Norton icon on it and the minimize and exit buttons, but themaximize button is grayed out.  In other words, all I get is a tiny little blank rectangle that I cannot make full screen.  It appears to be an empty rectangle. 

When I've tried opening Norton from the Start menu, NOTHING happens.  Zip.  I'm using Windows 7 os.

My computer started acting really squirrely lately, cursor jumping around, etc.; and I discovered the "System Progressive Protection" malware operating on my computer.  It kept throwing up dire warnings about having Trojan viruses and many more, and it kept trying to get me to buy their "protection."  After a little research, I found the Norton Power Eraser, but it didn't work at all on the first three tries.  Then I learned by chance that you have to save the Norton Power Eraser to the desktop and RENAME it "explorer.exe" in order to get around the malware.  Once I did that, the NPE ran and got rid of whatever was causing my cursor problems.

HOWEVER, I still can't run a Norton Scan, and its icon still isn't showing up in my tray.  So I don't know if Norton protection is operating on my computer or not.  When I look at the Constant Guard Suite box (whose icon is in my tray), it says Norton is installed; but when I click on the "Open the Norton Security Suite" link, NOTHING happens.

PLEASE HELP!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi robinsonsb,

Can I say WOW??

Ok, please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features and see if Norton Security Suite is listed as an installed program.   My best guess is that it is still there - even if you can not start it - due to the malware on your system.

Now please follow the link below and see if you can get through the removal of System Progressive Protection per Bleeping Computer's instructions. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-progressive-protection

I know you ran NPE and got rid of what appears to be part of your problem, but probably not all of your problem.

IMHO, from the indications you say you still have it appears to me that you still have some kind of malware active on your system.

Please post back if you make any progress running the Bleeping Computer fix.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
robinsonsb

Hi, ,

Thanks so much for your reply last night.  I've just looked in my Programs and Features, and Norton Security Suite is listed.  However, in the "Size" column, there is no number.  Every other program shows a number except Norton.  I don't know if that means the Norton icon and name is just a placeholder for nothing or if it is there taking up bytes but just shows nothing as its size.  (It doesn't even say 0 in the size column; just omits a number.)  Bizarre.

So I'm assuming your advice would be to go ahead and run the bleepingcomputer virus removal thing.  Unless I hear otherwise from you, I'll do that.

Thanks again!  I'lll let you know how it comes out.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi,

yes, I wuld suggest running the removal as outlined on Bleeping Computer in hopes of getting your system clean.  Itis not adviseable to insatll Norton while a system is infected - so it needs to be cleaned first and then one that is complete, we can go in search of your NSS.

FWIW, my Norton installs do not have the size listed either - just a blanks as your does and some of my othe programs also do not list the sizes - so I wouldn't worry about that at this point in time.

Please keep us posted.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
robinsonsb

Great!  I'll proceed with bleeping computer help.  And I'll let you know what happens.  (May be this afternoon before I can do it.  Am in the middle of a project with deadline of today.  Thanks again!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

robinsonsb wrote:

Great!  I'll proceed with bleeping computer help.  And I'll let you know what happens.  (May be this afternoon before I can do it.  Am in the middle of a project with deadline of today.  Thanks again!

No problem - I fully understand real life!  :smileywink:

Contributor
robinsonsb

Hi, again,

I ran the bleepingcomputer malwarebytes program, and it did say it removed the System Progressive Protection -- or appeared to.  I was glad to see it be gone.  So thanks for the suggestion on that!

In the meantime, something else seems to be happening.  One thing is that something called SpyHunter4 seems to have installed itself on my computer.  And Norton still isn't accessible from any point.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

robinsonsb wrote:

Hi, again,

I ran the bleepingcomputer malwarebytes program, and it did say it removed the System Progressive Protection -- or appeared to.  I was glad to see it be gone.  So thanks for the suggestion on that!

In the meantime, something else seems to be happening.  One thing is that something called SpyHunter4 seems to have installed itself on my computer.  And Norton still isn't accessible from any point.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

See if SpyHunter4 is listed in your Conrtol Panel (Add/remove programs or Program & Features) and uninstall it. 

Let us now if that helps.