New Visitor
JonathanA

Re: What is ComcastAntiSpy.exe?

Uninstalling the Comcast Toolbar under Windows 7 did not remove this software, but it was crashing when I tried to restart.  I am searching for a way to really uninstall it all.

Recognized Contributor
Gambit66

I believe it is under constant gaurd in your add remove programs list, remove constant guard, should uninstall the problem, and norton will remain on your computer.  From whhat i read on here, constant guard is a constant problem, and not worth the effort when norton does eveything it does and more.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Do you have CA Realtime Protection in your add/remove programs list? If so try uninstalling that. Or it could be a running process that was left behind, have a look in services.msc and disable it.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I beleive Paraniod's suggestion (CA Realtime protection removal) is the answer to your situation.  CGPS is not part of the Comcast Toolbar/Comcast Antispyware scenario. 

IMHO, I do not know why the Comcast Antispyware/Comcast Toolbar is even offered anymore - Norton's capabilities has taken us well beyond that program.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
schleserj

Try going to C:\Program Files (x86)\comcasttb and run the uninstall.exe from that directory. It is no longer listed in programs but you can uninstall it from here.

New Visitor
danigirl695

THANK U SO MUCH!!!! :smileygrin: I went into the folder you have in this message and it wasnt all uninstalled... i uninstalled again and its gone!!!! again again u soooo much:smileylove:

New Visitor
Alwayswondered

Your a genius :smileyhappy: I would of never figured that out it worked! thanks so much for you advice on on this forum I have been working on this for 2 hours and I wish I would of seen this 2hours ago,

:smileygrin: Thanks again

New Visitor
Nimos

Per your suggestion I went to C: Programs and when I tried to delete the folder I got an error message:  Cannot delete Comcast/AntiSpy.exe.  Access is denied.  Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.  

Now what?  I already found a CA file that I deleted thinking that would help but the "Cannot delete" error message still came up when I tried to delete comcasttb.

Thanks for your help.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

See if this page will help you.

http://www.pchell.com/support/undeletablefiles.shtml

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Nimos

Thanks for your help.  I didn't use what you posted here, but I found a link you posted on another thread that led me to this:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/What-is-ComcastAntiSpy-exe/m-p/862043#M78713

See Post 12--it worked for me.  I was so close with the info above I just didn't keep opening up every file under the comcasttb file.

Thanks for all the support!

New Visitor
gggggg99

So many loose folders: CA, Norton, Comcast.  But now I no longer have the:

Access violation at address 00423B70 in module 'ComcastAntiSpy.exe'. Write of address 00000D

error any more !  I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\comcastantispy and uninstalled in that folder directly.  No more error message !  Thank you thank you thank you !!!

Official Employee
B-Mor

Oftentimes the easiest fix is to (re)install the toolbar and then uninstall the toolbar.

Upon rebooting Comcastantispy should be removed completely.

Note that occasionally if you encounter an error during the install, you may have to repeat the steps one more time.

New Visitor
Zbog

I had this problem(couldn't shut down my PC and my CPU was being bogged down by the comcastantispy.exe thingy) I went to the start button and entered regedit and entered it.You then arrive at the Registry Editor.Go to edit on the menu and hit find. You'll be taken to the find what window. Enter comcastantispy.exe in it and the comcastantispy.exe will be shown.Highlite it and Go to the edit menu and hit delete and it's gone.

So far I can log off normally and my CPU usage is normal to.

New Visitor
Sleprock68

I had the problem with the ComcastAntiSpy.exe. I removed the tool bar it still came up when i would shut down my pc. The only thing I found to stop the error pop up is to go to the startup manager in norton 360 and turn it off. It is still installed but the error stopped. I hope this helps some.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Sleprock68 wrote:

I had the problem with the ComcastAntiSpy.exe. I removed the tool bar it still came up when i would shut down my pc. The only thing I found to stop the error pop up is to go to the startup manager in norton 360 and turn it off. It is still installed but the error stopped. I hope this helps some.

See post #12 in this thread for removal instructions:http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/What-is-ComcastAntiSpy-exe/m-p/862043#M78713

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Contributor

I have to echo that - i am running an i7 3.0+ GHz and 12 GB of memory.and Comcastantispy is taking 13-14 percent of the CPU when idle - also IE seems to be carrying a higher than normal memory load, wasnt sure this could be related to "Constant Pain" :smileyhappy:   Unfortunately i am not sure i thought it through with comcast giving it away - i loaded it up wednesday, by that evening EVERYTHING - was showing up as a threat - files from Microsoft - orginally showing as insight blocking, then just an IE message blocking downloads, and ultimately windows - i have IE 9 another mistake i think that was the problem, after 4 hours on chat with symantec - yes i still had fine connectivity  - i finally reset ie 9 and it seems to have fixed the issue.  Funny thing is when i started with symantec support and was pretty frustrated and it was saying "Norton Insight", so perhaps a little grumpy, the support rep was great and offered to take over the system and fix it I readily agreed then - i received the message that "Symantec" was an unknown developer and the file was hard blocked.

I guess i am venting - but does anyone have any insights on IE9 or Constant guard and whether to live with or remove CG and backgrade IE to 8?  is there a  memory leak in IE 9 or is it related to CG i notice ie and svchost are hitting 200,000K to 500,000K of memory - and yes the K is used correctly:  200 MB to 500 MB.

Thanks in advance.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi gstaley,

Sorry to hear about your situation. 

It sounds like you installed the entire Constant Guard Protection Suite including the Norton Security Suite. If so, the first thing you need to do is remove hte Constant Guard components via Control Panel > Programs & Features.  Look for and remove, anything with Constant Guard, Guided ID, ID Vault, Comcast(Xfinity) Toolbar,and  CA Real-Time Protection.  Reboot. 

Now in regards to Norton Security Suite, it should remain intact after the removal of the above, however, the install may still be corrupted. 

If you had an anti-virus/security program/suite installed on your system, it is important to remove those programs prior to installing NSS. It is recommended that the programs first be removed via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Once the program is removed, do a search for a Removal Tool for that program. Many programs have removal tools available and insure a more thorough removal of the old program and a better chance of a clean install of NSS.
Here is a suggested link to assist with the removal: http://support.kasperskyamericas.com/home/tools-ut​ilities
Insure your Windows Firewall is turned on.
Turn off all your remaining anti-malware tools (except Windows Firewall) and reboot.

Now in order to be sure of a clean install of NSS, please follow these instructions to accomplish a complete removal and a clean install.

Please note when you get to the download, you will receive a popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite - clickon the No Thanks Button and you will be able to see the Get It Now Button which will initiate the NSS download.

Also be sure to run Liveupdate as the instructions state.  I have seen it take up to 9 reboots to get the program totally updated with current definitions.

Inregards to your IE situation, running liveupdate as described in the instructions, will bring NSS up to date and compatable with IE9.  The actual download by itself (without the updates) will not function with IE9.

I now there's alot here, if you have any questions you know where to find us.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
Rafabby

Thank you so much! I've been having this problem for weeks, and you told me how to fix it in seconds!

Regular Contributor

Not trolling or looking to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I am baffled that people continue to use Norton and other "pay for" Antivirus programs still these days.

I have been using FREE anti virus programs on all of my 4 PC's and 3 laptops in my home for well over 15 years and have NEVER gotten a virus.

In the end it comes down to smart browsing and competent emailing.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

areamike wrote:

Not trolling or looking to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I am baffled that people continue to use Norton and other "pay for" Antivirus programs still these days.

I have been using FREE anti virus programs on all of my 4 PC's and 3 laptops in my home for well over 15 years and have NEVER gotten a virus.

In the end it comes down to smart browsing and competent emailing.

I agree 100% areamike.

As far as using Norton - the Comcast Norton Seucrity Suite (a clone of Norton 360) is pretty much one of the more awesome free offerings while you are a Comcast customer.

New Visitor
MAvsCMST

I don't have an uninstal file.  What do i do?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

MAvsCMST wrote:

I don't have an uninstal file.  What do i do?

Answered your other post here: 
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Access-violation-00423B70-comcastantispy-exe/m-...

New Visitor
jewelry_girl

Thank you so incredibly much.  This has been haunting me for months.  I have my CPU back.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!