Regular Contributor

Replaced McAfee with norton. Now computer is VERY SLOW.

Since I replaced McAfee with Norton my computer is so slow it's rediculous. Every time I go from one internet page to another it takes 10 times longer. I honestly can't live with a computer this slow and would rather buy the McAfee protection than live with this free Norton. Any way to speed this up? Anyone else having this problem?
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Replaced McAfee with norton. Now computer is VERY SLOW.

See if this link helps you any.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It's possible that Norton doesn't play nice with your computer. It happens sometimes.

If you try everything suggested to speed it up and it still runs slow you have 2 choices

1) Live with it

2) Uninstall Norton and use another firewall and antivirus.

FWIW, I tried McAfee once and it made my system crawl slower than a turtle.

If you choose to ditch Norton, you can either purchase McAfee or another product OR try free alternatives.

A list of free antivirus and firewall programs can be found HERE.

(Comodo is a suite, including both)

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Security Expert
CWH803

Re: Replaced McAfee with Norton. Now computer is VERY SLOW.

Dennis,   See this post; Stover describes a problem similar to yours.

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Contributor

I am having the same problem on my desktop, laptop and my girlfriends desktop.  Norton has brought everything to a crawl and is totally unacceptable.  I tried all of their fixes and none of them worked. My PC's were working perfectly until I installed Norton. I don't expect Comcast to come up with a fix for this so maybe this will be my opportunity to go FiOS.  I am disgusted!
Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Siggy,

What free antivirus program does FiOS offer?  Just curious. :smileyconfused:

Contributor

None, however, I'd rather pay for a security package than use one that prevents me from performing any tasks on my PC.  Whatever Norton is doing, it has seriously slowed every aspect of my PC, laptop and my girlfriends PC.  They were all fine with McAfee.  Since Norton was installed, my browser on all 3 PC's keeps crashing and trying to open an email takes about 2 minutes.  All 3 PC's are fairly new so there are no system requirement issues.  So, I think you were being sarcastic but if this is what free brings you, I'd rather pay.  Comcast has no solution for this and should have insured these kinds of issues would not come up after switching from McAfee.
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]
Siggy455, have you tried either/both of the suggestions for a solution provided in links above by myself and CWH803??
Message Edited by USAF_E-8_RET on 02-06-2010 12:09 PM

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It's a Norton issue, not a Comcast issue. As I've stated before, sometimes a security program doesn't play nice with a system. There is some kind of conflict between the program and your systems.

McAfee slowed my system down to slower than a turtle crawl.

My daughter had the same thing happen to her computer with CA suite.

Panda slowed down one of my other systems.

Comcast simply offers the program for customers, they didn't create it, therefore they can't change it.

If you do want to purchase something besides McAfee, go to the website of the product. Most of them have a 30 day trial offer. Try it first, see if it works for you and your computer. No need to waste money on something that could do the same thing Norton did.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor

Yes, I tried all of the advice including the advice on Norton's site.  That in itself caused another issue.  After adjusting the startup as instructed (which I've done before) it brought my PC back to a brand new unit and most of my settings were lost. So Norton's suggestion to uncheck everything except Norton was a bad idea. I actually had to perform a system restore to the point right before Norton did a registry cleanup and I got my settings back.  In fact, the PC is working better since I did the system restore and restored it to just before Norton did the registry cleanup.  Maybe that is the problem.  It is still freezing, but not nearly as bad as before I did this.
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Glad to hear you are making some headway with your problem - but where did you post the Hijackthis log that CWH803 mentioned in link he provided in his post?  Our security experts will be able to see if you by chance have other problems Mal/spyware related on your system. 

Contributor

My system came up clean.  There are no infections, malware or spyware.  I certainly understand the it's not Comcast's fault that Norton is creating such issues for many people.  However, I do think that some vetting should have been performed in advance to see if there were general problems with Norton's product.  I bought Norton several years ago for one of my older PC's that I no longer own and I must say I had nothing but trouble with the product then.  It seems nothing has changed. If some research revealed that Norton had the potential to create serious issues, perhaps a very detailed disclaimer should have been issued to anyone switching from McAfee to Norton.  For now, I'm going to see if the improvement continues. If it doesn't, I will probably purchase McAfee since both of my systems ran perfectly with it.  Right now Norton is causing issues with 3 PC's I am involved with.  Thanks for your assistance anyway!
Regular Contributor

You can only use one program at a time.

Google "  the uninstaller tool for Norton. 

Keep Mcafee until May 12 when the switch occurs.

Pay $70 for Mcafee with a $20 off =$50 for a good program in mcafee. the free ones will not be good -you know wht you get for free.

Comodo is horrible.

Good luck.

Regular Contributor

Sometimes Nortons doesnt play nice on computers.  Hum... well, really it seems like it is also a Comcast Issue, they are making people spend alot of time and effort changing over, when Mcaffee works just fine.  And they are recommending a change over to something that "Sometimes does not play well on their customers computers.... We are under the understanding from Comcast that they switched because they feel that Nortons is the better product....really isnt that kind of an endorsement and when you go to Comcast's Security Site ... what do you see there... Download Nortons Now... yes even though Comcast did not make Nortons... they still have something to do with it.... what good is it if it doesnt work even on a small percentage of their customers systems.... when Mcafee worked.  I can see why people are not happy... computer crashes are the ultimate fear for the novice. This kind of goes under what my boss use to say... "IF its not broken .... then why fix it.... 

There is going to be alot of people going out and purchasing Mcafee.  Which of course will take them off the ranks of the FREE antivirus list..... I personally like staying with things I know work... so I will be one of those people buying Mcafee.  I like it.... it works great.... my computer is fast, my updates are on time, and it keep my hackers from CHINA at bay all 17 different ones ... Its not broken and Im not fixing it... so if I spend all the time and effort to rid my computer of Mcafee.... I will make sure its replaced with Mcafees cause it works..

thanks for letting me share my thoughts on this...

wimm

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

This reminds me of the Mac vs. PC argument.  People have faith in their own stuff and won't listen to the data that shows something else might be better (whether it is or not). This almost rises to the level of a religion...

For a good site that compares all of the antivirus products, go to this site.  They also have advice on how to fix a PC that doesn't play nice with an antivirus product and lots of links to technology labs and other antivirus resources.  Their testing methodology is weighted more towards preventing viri, but they also test the impact on the computer of each product.  You might be surprised to read who won their product of the year, just published in December.

Of course, your mileage may vary, based on how your PC is already configured and the health of your HD.

Regular Contributor

Verizon uses McAfee free.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and if you Google it you will find PC Mag etc like it. Use the Zone Alarm firewall, free, and they will "play together" a term that is becoming quite trite. 

Btw, not all firewalls will work with MSE, and disable Windows when you install Zone Alarm.

You will be rid of complicated resource hogs + secure.

Good luck

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

wimmy wrote:

Sometimes Nortons doesnt play nice on computers.  Hum... well, really it seems like it is also a Comcast Issue,

Not a Comcast issue. A purchased Norton is not guaranteed to play nice with a system.

I know many people who bought Norton, people who are NOT Comcast internet customers, who found out it didn't work with their systems.

they are making people spend alot of time and effort changing over, when Mcaffee works just fine.  And they are recommending a change over to something that "Sometimes does not play well on their customers computers.... We are under the understanding from Comcast that they switched because they feel that Nortons is the better product....really isnt that kind of an endorsement and when you go to Comcast's Security Site ... what do you see there... Download Nortons Now... yes even though Comcast did not make Nortons... they still have something to do with it.... what good is it if it doesnt work even on a small percentage of their customers systems.... when Mcafee worked. 

McAfee didn't work for everyone. Purchase or free, it still caused issues. It did for me, which is why I will never use McAfee again. It messed with my computer so bad the only way I could get rid of McAfee was to reinstall Windows.  What good is McAfee if it doesn't work even on a small percentage of their customers systems. So your assertion the "McAfee worked" is incorrect.  There were complaints from others that McAfee slowed down their systems.

I can see why people are not happy... computer crashes are the ultimate fear for the novice.

I certainly was not happy when I had to reinstall Windows in order to fix the damage McAfee caused.

This kind of goes under what my boss use to say... "IF its not broken .... then why fix it.... 

I consider McAfee broken based on my experience with it.

There is going to be alot of people going out and purchasing Mcafee.  Which of course will take them off the ranks of the FREE antivirus list.....

There are other free antivirus and firewall alternatives if someone doesn't want to purchase a product. I used free for years, was satisfied with those products, they were and are just as effective as purchased  products. When I heard about the switch to Norton (which I gave up a few years ago because it caused an issue that had nothing to do with a slow computer) I decided to give it another try.

I personally like staying with things I know work... so I will be one of those people buying Mcafee.  I like it.... it works great.... my computer is fast, my updates are on time, and it keep my hackers from CHINA at bay all 17 different ones ... Its not broken and Im not fixing it... so if I spend all the time and effort to rid my computer of Mcafee.... I will make sure its replaced with Mcafees cause it works..

Again, it comes down to personal choice and what works well for you and your system.

thanks for letting me share my thoughts on this...

wimm

that's what this thread is about, sharing your thoughts about Norton and McAfee.

I will add this: I wish Comcast could have made a deal with Kaspersky to offer KIS instead of Norton.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 02-08-2010 11:48 PM

Contributor

Well this is ironic.  I actually went to the site suggested to compare the different product performance.  When I clicked on get the comparison report, it downloaded about 1/3 and then my PC froze to the point that I couldn't even re-start it.  I had to power it down with the on button to get it up and running again.  So I'm guessing Norton didn't want me to see that comparison (of course I'm being sarcastic).  However, I NEVER had issues such as this before Norton.  Today, I must uninstall Norton on my girlfriends PC since she can't get anything accomplished since switching from McAfee.  All of you people trashing McAfee in favor of Norton are of no comfort to those of us who literally cannot use our PC's any longer without having to find another product that works.  McAfee worked for me on 2 PC's, my girlfriends PC, my 3 children's PC's, my ex-wife's PC, my father-in-laws PC, my sister's PC....shall I go on?  Your assertion that McAfee was flawed doesn't fly in my case as well as those I have mentioned.  You can take the company line but that is not helping those of us outraged by what Norton has done to our systems.  Yea, I know, it's free so deal with it.  I will deal with it and one of my options is to look to other products or internet providers.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Siggy455 wrote: 

However, I NEVER had issues such as this before Norton.  Today, I must uninstall Norton on my girlfriends PC since she can't get anything accomplished since switching from McAfee. 

All of you people trashing McAfee in favor of Norton are of no comfort to those of us who literally cannot use our PC's any longer without having to find another product that works.  

I am not trashing McAfee. I'm simply pointing out that there are people, including me, who had the same issues you have with Norton when we used McAfee.  At one point, I tried Trend Micro suite, it did the same thing, though not to the degree McAfee did.  CA suite made my daughter's computer run slow. The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter what one uses; the potential is there for slow downs and other issues caused by the program.

McAfee worked for me on 2 PC's, my girlfriends PC, my 3 children's PC's, my ex-wife's PC, my father-in-laws PC, my sister's PC....shall I go on?  Your assertion that McAfee was flawed doesn't fly in my case as well as those I have mentioned. 

Since it worked on all those pc's, by all means get rid of Norton and install something that works.  McAfee may not have been flawed for you and others, but it was me and others. Therefore, to me it was flawed.

Visitor

Bad move on Comcast decision to change, believe me it is worth the money to pay McAfee to keep the computer running right,As I posted before, Nortons was in this new computer for less then an hour and out it went, it does more harm then good.
Regular Contributor

I totally agree delta..i've tired norton..and when i got this new pc in 2007..first thing i did was trash the norton..i knew what it would do..and i got rid of it..didnt think twice about it..what gets me here is..all these certain people are for some reason..defending comcast for switching to norton ..and for the life of me..i can't figure out why ????..unless they work for comcast ?..lol...i'd just like one person..that works for comcast..to tell everyone that pays for the service..say..sorry to tell you this people..but..we went to norton because they were cheaper..that what it looks like to me.

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

alan605 wrote:

...i'd just like one person..that works for comcast..to tell everyone that pays for the service..say..sorry to tell you this people..but..we went to norton because they were cheaper..that what it looks like to me.

I think that would be a good reason to switch.  And besides that, as a bonus, Symantec is the highest rated antivirus program in this impartial test.

I like to get my information from the source that has the best testing methodology, not the group with the most posts or loudest argument (that must be the engineer in me talking).

And, no, I have no dog in this fight - I am not now nor have I ever been a Comcast employee or contractor.  I'm an ex-free-McAfee user who removed it due to severe problems with it on my PC.  I converted to another free antivirus program, MSE, before they even announced the free Norton 360.  I've been quite happy with its low footprint in my system.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

alan605 wrote:

I totally agree delta..i've tired norton..and when i got this new pc in 2007..first thing i did was trash the norton..i knew what it would do..and i got rid of it..didnt think twice about it..

Just for info:  The Norton of 2007 (and prior) is not the same Norton as today.  The big improvement came with NIS 2009 and the 2010 versions built on those improvements. 

Contributor

Problem solved for me.  I became so frustrated with the problems Norton caused that I uninstalled it completely.  My PC became as fast as it was when it was new last year.  I then PURCHASED McAfee Total Protection and guess what?  My PC is running normally again. No freezes, no slowdowns...nothing.  I have never had a good experience with Norton.  I uninstalled Norton from my girlfiends PC and installed McAfee.  Same result.  Hers works fine now.  I will never use Norton again.  It's a shame that I had to spend the money.  Comcast should have left well-enough alone.
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

siggy - glad all worked out for you in the end.  If it is any consolation, I had to spend $$ when McAfee was the free offering, as it would not play nicely on my PC!