Bronze Star Contributor

So is Constant Guard just no good?

I just got an email from Comcast about this new Constant Guard thingy and came here to see if anyone has had anything to say about it.

From the couple of threads I've skimmed through, it looks as though it has some serious issues, but I'm not sure if I'm reading it all right or not.

So, bottom line, is it worth the time and trouble, or should it be avoided like the plague it appears to be?

I'm basing this on a few of the comments I've read from a couple of the Security Experts here, i.e,, "uninstall it", "wait for a more stable version" and so on (paraphrased)

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: So is Constant Guard just no good?

The base protection, Comcast/Norton Security Suite is a good product,. The problem many people are having is with the GuardedID module. Since there is currently no way to select only portions of the CGPS install, I am recommending that the entire suite be avoided for the time being.

You can, however, download and install just the Comcast/Norton Security Suite from this link:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks for the reply. :smileyhappy:

I already have the regular free Norton suite on one of my computers. I had to remove it from another, but that's a long story and can be found somewhere here in this forum, if you like really boring long stories. :smileywink:

But it's working fine on my other PC.

Okay thanks for the information - I shall avoid it entirely until I hear otherwise.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi mj41865,

For the most part the Guided ID portion of the CGSS is causing the majority of problems and is known to cause keyboard problems.  The usual recommendation is to remove the Guided ID if you have thesecurtiy suite installed.  Thats's the politcally correct stance from Comcast.

In view of none of the CG folks getting on here and talking about the problems, assisting the customers directly (they have posted an FAQ - that is almost impossible to find), IMHO, CGSS is not ever getting close to my systems.

I have been using and will continue to use NSS which is still available for stand alone download (without any CGSS components) here:  http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bronze Star Contributor

Hiya USAF, and thank you too.

Yeah, if YOU say it's not getting anywhere near any of your machines, that's a pretty good indication I'm not likely to want to, lol. :smileywink:

Take care. :smileyhappy:

Official Employee
ComcastJordan

Hey, USAF.  We're here.  We're replying.  I've even posted the contents of that FAQ in other threads. 

it does appear there is an issue with Guarded ID, which we are looking into.  So far it appears to imapct some popular game software more than anything else.  When we have an update or a resolution, we will post it in the forums.

If you are not someone who games on their PC, there should be no risk to using the Protection Suite.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Jordan_RO wrote:

Hey, USAF.  We're here.  We're replying.  I've even posted the contents of that FAQ in other threads. 

it does appear there is an issue with Guarded ID, which we are looking into.  So far it appears to imapct some popular game software more than anything else.  When we have an update or a resolution, we will post it in the forums.

If you are not someone who games on their PC, there should be no risk to using the Protection Suite.

Jordon, yes, you are here, but you (and I use that collectively for the team working on this) seem to be missing some other posts in regards to problems other than the keyboard with Constant Guard Security Suite and they do not pertain strictly to gamers.

Here are a few of the threads I am referring to:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Uninstalling-Constant-Guard-system-crash/m-p/94...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-How-do-I-scan-my-computer/m-p/94...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-Protection-Suite/m-p/933063/mess...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-Guard-ID-apparently-not-compatib...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-Clock-not-set-correctly-problem/...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-What-Can-I-Disable/m-p/941269/me...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Jordan_RO wrote:

I think I have to lay off the Happy Juice or else get my eyes checked again...  REPLYING ?? To the customers here in security??   :smileyshocked: 

There are too many should bees, could bees, and may bees, in the responses to questions..

ciao, bj

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Jordan_RO wrote:

Add this one (post byAnsible)

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Constant-Guard-problem/td-p/936093

Blocked admin password in response to a UAC prompt.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to say that the threads I've read regarding this are among the most horrifying "bad software" stories I've read in a long time.

I think I'd rather have a major virus than this "upgrade". For that matter, it seems like it exhibits some of the worst behavior of many viruses. The virus writers must be laughing their you-know-what's off over this one. :smileywink:

If they haven't already done so, Comcast should immediately stop sending out notices about this.

"Guarded ID"

Should be called TakeoverID.. or maybe TakeoverPC... :smileywink:

Regular Contributor

Hey, Jordan: I do not game on my PC and I could not even get the thing installed.

Just one of the failures with this piece of garbage - and see the separate thread on this - is that it doesn't have an uninstall. C'mon you couldn't build an uninstall into the thing? Or -White Sky Inc., which is the publisher, couldn't?

The point is, this is the thing Comcast is pushing, hard. You go to the Security main page, and plastered all over. I was having a problem with Norton and figured, OK, this is the new security suite, I'll bite. But it complained about having several bad .dll s or something, so I don't think it ever even got installed.

Any testing done on this?

My answer is it's just not good.

Jordan_RO wrote:

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

The point is, this is the thing Comcast is pushing, hard. You go to the Security main page, and plastered all over. I was having a problem with Norton and figured, OK, this is the new security suite, I'll bite. But it complained about having several bad .dll s or something, so I don't think it ever even got installed.

Any testing done on this?

My answer is it's just not good.

Hey you're right, it IS all over the Security page.

Just look at that happy family in the picture, all smiles. The little kid knows what's going on though. Look at that calculating expression on his face. He sees right through it. Probably already trying to figure out how to get rid of it. :smileywink:

Shouldn't they mention there somewhere that using it may cause serious computer problems and result in hours of wasted time?

I can't believe that with so many horror stories, that it's even still available. I'd have yanked it until they fixed it.... But then again, that's just me, I'm a conscientious guy, not a mega corporation that sells its morals to the higher bidder.:smileywink:

Or in the case of Norton, probably the lowest bidder...

New Visitor

From Jordan RO: "o far it appears to imapct some popular game software more than anything else.  When we have an update or a resolution, we will post it in the forums.

If you are not someone who games on their PC, there should be no risk to using the Protection Suite."

Not true. My job is in support for a systems integration company and these issues with Constant Guard have seriously impeded my ability to support my customers. We use LogMeIn.com and GoToMeeting for remote support of many of our customers and with Constant Guard installed on my PCs, Guarded ID scrambled the keystrokes I send to the remote computers I am controlling and trying to resolve issues on. It affects my ability to log in to systems, to type simple commands or text and makes us look like fools who can't even type. It also increases frustration for our customers, many of whom are not technically savvy, and slows down the support session when I have to ask the customer to type everything, often having to repeat what needs to be typed multiple times or spell what I've said. Even worse, it can be a security risk if I need to log on to a system with an ID that has more advanced permissions than the user. I cannot give them my password with administrator-level permissions but I must log in with admin access at times to resolve issues.

After this experience, I am extremely wary of any software from Comcast and will not readily install anything with the Comcast name on it again. Especially having found out that this has been an known issue for months and Comcast hasn't yet bothered to fix it because they erroneously believe it only affects gamers.

Bronze Problem Solver

nashjar wrote: .......Comcast hasn't yet bothered to fix it because they erroneously believe it only affects gamers.....

I don't believe it's in error.....

Bronze Star Contributor

"ONLY" gamers?

That's a pretty huge group right there.

Comcast: Hey don't worry about it, it's only those few gamers out there who will be hosed by this, so it's okay.

Last I checked, gaming was pretty big among PC users, especially online gaming.

New Visitor

From Welcome_to_Post: "I don't believe it's in error....."

I would definitely agree with you.

New Visitor

From mj41865: "

"ONLY" gamers?

That's a pretty huge group right there.

Comcast: Hey don't worry about it, it's only those few gamers out there who will be hosed by this, so it's okay.

Last I checked, gaming was pretty big among PC users, especially online gaming."

Not to mention that gamers tend to pay their Comcast bills just like everyone else.

Gamers are a big part of their customer base and as important as all the rest of us, but they are certainly not the only ones affected adversely by the issues that Constant Guard and Guarded ID plague Comcast customers with.

New Visitor
BoxFreind

Norton is NOT a "good product." Any IT guy with a brain and without a commission payment from Symantec will tell you that it is bloated junk that will SLOW YOUR COMPUTER WAY DOWN. It does not even offer the best protection and yet it still costs you an arm and a leg to buy. Kaspersky or Node32 are much better; they don't slwo down your computer nearly as much and are much less vulnerable to attack. Comcast as a cozy and very lucrative deal with Symantec to sell their software. DON'T buy into the "CONSTANT GUARD" SCAM!!! It is a way to FORCE YOU to buy Norton!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Comcast is not selling Norton, it is offered free of charge.

As for your complaints  re Norton, I assume you have recent reviews and data to back up your claims. If you don't, then perhaps you need to do some research.

Kaspersky and ESET (Nod32), are excellent products, as are bitDefender, Avira, Avast, AVG, etc.....

A lot of a-v performance depends on the computer it is installed on and the usage. What works for one person may not be the best for the other. Sometimes you have to try different ones. Checking comparison by dis-interested third party rating firms is one method.

Mark Twain

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

BoxFreind wrote:

Norton is NOT a "good product." Any IT guy with a brain and without a commission payment from Symantec will tell you that it is bloated junk that will SLOW YOUR COMPUTER WAY DOWN. It does not even offer the best protection and yet it still costs you an arm and a leg to buy. Kaspersky or Node32 are much better; they don't slwo down your computer nearly as much and are much less vulnerable to attack. Comcast as a cozy and very lucrative deal with Symantec to sell their software. DON'T buy into the "CONSTANT GUARD" SCAM!!! It is a way to FORCE YOU to buy Norton!

I used to use Norton, Never had any problems with it. It didn't slow down my system at all.

McAfee, on the other hand, did. It made my computer run slower than a turtle. So slow that I couldn't do anything-not even get to Add Remove to uninstall it. I had to resort to drastic measures to get rid of McAfee-a clean install of XP Pro.

Not long ago I helped someone with a very slow computer. I tracked the slowness to Kaspersky. An uninstall cured what ailed the computer.

As LPP stated, there is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security.

No one is "forced" to buy anything. Comcast is not demanding that customers use the freebie OR buy Norton.

In fact, why would a Comcast customer want to PURCHASE Norton when he/she can get the free offering from Comcast?  Your statement doesn't hold water.  If someone installs Constant Guard suite, the CG portion can be UNINSTALLED, leaving Norton on the system.

FWIW, I now use Eset Smart Security on 2 of my systems, When my year of having it free ends in April I will purchase it and continue to use it.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

BoxFreind wrote:

BoxFreind - I assume you have a brain and do not receive a commission from Symantec - but have you used the products since 2009?  I agree about the bloat prior to 2009, but the current programs are much less of a load on your systems.  BTW, I do have a brain, receive no commission from Symantec, nor claim to be a IT guy. 

Now, please tell me why I should not be using Internet Explorer, but instead use FireFox!

Yup, you get the idea, everyone has opinions and you should know the rest of that story!

New Visitor
XenophonAnabasi

It won't let me update Adobe Flash Player, so I will uninstall it.

New Visitor

Constant Guard is A Scam

Pure marketing ploy and obnoxious to boot.  I had the head of my IT department look into this for me because I have nothing but Apple products and did not think Constant Guard would be of any use to me.  I was right.  The problem is that I get CONSTANT pop-ups about this product.  Maybe that is how they came up with the name Constant Guard.  The worst part about it is that there is no way to stop them from bombarding you with this garbage.  I have done online tech support and human tech support and both of them admitted that the Security Notices don't actually mean there is anything wrong with your computer.  That is why every one of them has the word "may" in it.  You "may" have this or you "may" have that.  But you don't!!  Comcast is trying to intimidate and scare people into spending money that does not need to be spent.  I am seriously considering canceling my Internet service with them because of this annoying advertising campaign.

New Visitor
ArtisanMetals

You posted in May 2011, I'm looking at it now June 2012.

Is it worth it???

I need something to speed up my life & password clutter!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

For password management check out LastPass (lastpass.com). It's free, and works with most of today's browsers.

As for anti-virus, anti-malware protection, IMHO, the full CGPS suite is not ready for prime time. Norton is more than sufficient.

You can download Norton from here:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

In the Get Full Protection Dialog the opens, press 'No Thanks'

On the next page the opens, press 'Get It Now', to download Comcast Norton Security Suite.

This is an old thread. Times have changed. Locked to prevent further posts here.

Mark Twain