Regular Visitor

Solution that worked for Norton Problem

I haven't read every post about Norton problems, so I don't know if this has been suggested before, but here's what I did and it worked.  Norton created havoc on my computer.  I couldn't connect to the internet, had to re-boot 3-4 times, End Task feature quit working, etc.  Tried everything in the FAQ and it didn't work. I was ready to pay for McAfee.

Then I remembered that when the Comcast Toolbar came out they said to install it for added security.  I wondered if that was creating my problems.  So, I removed the Comcast Toobar and now I have NO problems what-so-ever with Norton.  Wow, I can't believe that such a simple solution fixed the nightmare.  Just wanted to share in case someone else wants to try this.

Note:  My daughter never had the toobar installed on her computer and she never had any problems with Norton. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Solution that worked for Norton Problem

netti, thank you so much for sharing that fix with us.  :smileylaugh:

The thought never crossed my mind either, but I'm planning on doing some research on it shortly in hopes that we can find the reason.

Thanks again!!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Service Expert
Bartleby

As others have said in various posts on the Help boards, "Toolbars are evil".

I'm going to ask George to communicate this to the folks responsible for the Comcast Toolbar.  Perhaps they can check for possible conflicts between the Toolbar and the new Comcast Norton offering.  Though I would imagine that was done already.

And I'll add my own kudo to Netti for sharing this experience.

Regular Visitor

I should also tell you that I still had the old toolbar, I never installed the new one. 
Security Expert
CWH803

Good job, Netti. 

The Comcast toolbar is a known "good day" destroyer. Seems it also "delights in annoying" the "free from Comcast" Norton Security Suite.

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for info regarding the comcast toolbar. My norton toolbar has never workedsince I switched to norton. After reading your post I uninstalled comcast toolbar and now it works. What toolbar are you using now that works with norton? I wonder if google toolbar will work with norton.
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Personally, I am not a fan of toolbars, I enable the Menu, Command, Norton and Status Tool bars. I use IE8.

I have not heard any complaints about the Google Tool Bar conflicting with Norton.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor

I decided after this experience that I would not be installing any more toolbars.  However, my daughter has the google toolbar and hasn't had any problems with Norton.
Regular Contributor

:smileyhappy:Thanks so much.
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much...maybe I won't try any toolbar.
Contributor

I've been having the same issue with locking up when launching IE v7.  While I don't use the Comcast toolbar, I do have Comcast.net set as the home page.  Could the home page setting cause the same issue as the toolbar?  I have noticed that the guest account on my PC has no problems with launching IE v7, but the home page is set for Yahoo.com.

Any comments?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

dramyon - I seriously doubt having Comcast.net set as your home page is causing you problems.  However, you can change your home page to Yahoo.com on the system that you are encountering problems on and see if that corrects it - just to double check. 

If it doesn't correct it, I'd double check the IE settings on both accounts.

Service Expert
Bartleby

What you choose to have the browser open when you launch it (the Comcast.net home page, in your case), should have no bearing on the functions of Norton--or any security package.  Well...maybe, if your home page was an infected site, your security would get upset.

It's more likely that the guest account has settings that make IE 7 and Norton play nicely together.  What those differences between your main and guest accounts might be are hard to say, but guests are generally more limited in what they can run.

Norton should still be running the same way no matter which account, but IE 7 won't necessarily.

Security Expert
CajunTek

Bartleby wrote:

What you choose to have the browser open when you launch it (the Comcast.net home page, in your case), should have no bearing on the functions of Norton--or any security package.  Well...maybe, if your home page was an infected site, your security would get upset.

It's more likely that the guest account has settings that make IE 7 and Norton play nicely together.  What those differences between your main and guest accounts might be are hard to say, but guests are generally more limited in what they can run.

Norton should still be running the same way no matter which account, but IE 7 won't necessarily.

Bartleby, I started reading typing at the same time... Fortunately I got to the part where you said maybe, if your homepage was an infected site and deleted the rest.. as that coincides perfectly with what I was typing anyway...

Just a by the way... Unfortunately there really isn't any such thing as a safe site anymore. All of them that use rotating ads can have issues from one day to the next..

TANSTAAFL!!

Service Expert
Moguns

CajunTek wrote:

Bartleby wrote:

Bartleby, I started reading typing at the same time... Fortunately I got to the part where you said maybe, if your homepage was an infected site and deleted the rest.. as that coincides perfectly with what I was typing anyway...

Just a by the way... Unfortunately there really isn't any such thing as a safe site anymore. All of them that use rotating ads can have issues from one day to the next..

Excellent CT, and how true.

And to Netti.....When I first came to the Comcast forums, CT and others told me how bad toolbars are, and they are right. I was experiencing all sorts of problems and as soon as I got rid of the Comcast  toolbar, my pc was fine!

If you have any more "valuable" experiences please don't hesitate to post them!

Thank Netti!

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Photobucket
Service Expert
Bartleby

Quoting a portion of CajunTek's last reply:

"Just a by the way... Unfortunately there really isn't any such thing as a safe site anymore. All of them that use rotating ads can have issues from one day to the next.."

All too true, CT.  And something that's certainly been discussed before on these boards (and on this Security one, in particular).

Sorry for wandering off-topic from the OPs initial points, and replies related directly to that.

New Visitor
HandTendt3

i nee fix the computer

Bronze Star Contributor
npersn31

HandTendt3 wrote:

i nee fix the computer

HandTendt3, I am no expert, but I know the experts will want more information. For starters: (1)What error messages are you getting? (2)What is your operating system ---XP, Vista, Windows 7 etc.? (3)What problems are you seeing? (4) Do you have problems with your anti-virus?

Moreover, you have posted in an old thread about Norton Problems. For best visiblity, I would suggest you start your own thread.

Npersn31