Contributor

Uninstalling Constant Guard = system crash

I've had Constant Guard on my computer for a few days and it drastically slowed down the computer. After reading quite a few posts about it on here, I uninstalled it. That also went very slowly, but I got to the web survey, answered those questions and then when that closed and I went back to Add/Remove Programs, Constant Guard was gone.

However, then, the computer shut down. It re-started and just Norton Security was on there (as it was before I installed Constant Guard), but then a notice kept coming up telling me there was a "massive system fail" and it wanted to report it to Microsoft. If I hit "send", it shut down the computer. If I hit "don't send", it would work until I went on to the Internet and hit any key on my keyboard, at which point it would shut down again.

I'm guessing my only bet now is for to boot up in safe mode and see if any aspect of Constant Guard is still in the Add/Remove Programs field, but thought I'd see if anyone had any other suggestions? My other option is a restore. Ugh.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: Uninstalling Constant Guard = system crash

Accidentally removed OP's additional post.

I should add to this -- I'm not a gamer at all, so that's not the problem with Constant Guard. It just dragged my computer to a halt. 

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Make sure GuardedID has been removed as well.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Contributor

Thank you. I'll try that as well. If I could get the computer to go on the Internet, I'd be able to download that Uninstaller that has been recommended here, but unfortunately that's not do-able.

Will boot in safe mode to see if Guarded ID is still on there when Constant Guard was uninstalled.

Contributor

Updating this:

I was never able to get the computer into safe mode to try removing Guarded ID that way. Every time I hit anything on the keyboard, it encountered the blue screen of death.

A support tech from Constant Guard did call me directly (this original post was brought to his attention) and he was quite helpful at the beginning, telling me that the Logitech keyboard doesn't work with the system. We do have a Logitech keyboard, so that was part of the problem.

However, he then wanted me to get on the phone with someone from Guarded ID. Since I'm not a fan of the system, I didn't feel comfortable at all doing that -- and it was quite a busy week, so I had no time to do so.

After I said that I had ordered a new computer to replace the one that was dead because of this program (completely true) and didn't plan on re-installing Constant Guard/Guarded ID ever again, he got quite defensive and said that my old computer must have been very old without much memory at all because that's what probably caused it. Charming. It was an older computer but still had plenty of memory on it -- and completely met the minimum requirements of the software.

New computer is running just fine with just Norton on it. No Constant Guard/Guarded ID and no plans to utilize either.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Thanks for the reply and especailly the information from Strikeforce regarding Logitech keyboard.

Mark Twain

New Visitor

I am so sick of constant guard. It is taking over my pc. All I want to do is remove it but it is so corrupting my computer I cannot remove it.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

You can try to remove it by using the revo uninstaller (free trial)  from here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud