Contributor

Unknown Computer on my NETWORK!

My computer has been running slow and pages have been "interrupted" while loading a lot lately.  When I went into McAfee to try and resolve this issue with out network, I noticed a third computer that is not ours.  I tried to create a secured wireless network, but when I go to the site...the page comes up blank.  I am lost as to where to start :smileysad:  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kris
Contributor

Re: Unknown Computer on my NETWORK!

Ok. Well I did not mean to post this twice...but I had a problem when the first one was sent....and I didnt think that it transmitted.  Sorry.
Recognized Contributor

Reset your router to its factory defaults, and then head to the sticky thread at the top of the Home Networking forum for a good rundown on the steps you can take to secure your wireless connections.
Contributor

Ok. Two things.  First of all...there is no need for cajun or anybody else to lock anything related to what I have asked. Second...I am going to search now for information on how to reset to factory default...
Recognized Contributor

kris_kris wrote:
Ok. Two things.  First of all...there is no need for cajun or anybody else to lock anything related to what I have asked. Second...I am going to search now for information on how to reset to factory default...

When someone double-posts, one of the moderators or experts will almost always lock one of the threads.  This is done to avoid confusion - we don't want two conversations going on at once.  This is not some sort of punishment - it's for your benefit.

On most routers, there's a reset button on the back - you might need a paperclip to get to it.  With the power on, push and hold that button for about 30 seconds.  That should do the trick.  Just remember that doing that eliminates any encrypting you may have set up (like WEP or WPA), so if you've got your wireless cards set for encryption, you'll need to turn it off until you get the security set up properly again.

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Or you can get into the diagnostics screen for your router and limit the number of computers that are allowed on your network. Also set your router to not broadcast its availability at all (SSID Broadcast). That way, when someone searches for wireless networks, yours won't even be seen. Most routers have this feature and different makes have different addresses for getting in. Linksys is 192.168.1.1. Just remember, if you add a computer to your network to adjust these settings. If you have a different brand, you should be able to find instructions relatively easy on Google.

Message Edited by mosley on 08-22-2007 12:02 PM
Know Your Score