Contributor

View Source of Spam

If I view souce on a spam email which may contain malware, etc., is that as danegerous as opening the email itself?

Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

Re: View Source of Spam

Usually viewing the source of an email makes use of a text editor, which doesn't have the ability to execute any code in the message.

So, it is usually OK to do a view source.

--
Claude
Contributor

Thanks Claude, makes me feel a lot safer. I like to see the sender IP address and post them to internet opions restricted sites if necessary to stop malware spam; especially from Eastern Europe. Take care.

Mikeph514.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Mikeph514 wrote:

Thanks Claude, makes me feel a lot safer. I like to see the sender IP address and post them to internet opions restricted sites if necessary to stop malware spam; especially from Eastern Europe. Take care.

Mikeph514.

You do not need to open source to get the IP address. Just check the headers.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Contributor

Thanks 

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

If you are using the Xfinity webmail program, there is no other way I am aware of, to view the headers, other than view source. As long as all you do is look, and don't "touch" there shoudl be no problems.

If you are using an email client, such as Outlook, searching 'Help' should give you the information on viewing the headers.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Contributor

OK, Thanks, I misunderstood you to indicate there was another way.

Here's a question for you from my curiosity: Most spam I receive contains a long list of words seemingly unrelated to anything at all. Sometimes there are a few lists. I have seen this also on some xfinity email.

What is that about?

Mikeph514 

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

That's just the spam's attempt to bypass ISP spam filters. Strings of unrelated, but valid words

Mark Twain

Contributor

Thanks, that was easy enough. Take care!