Visitor

Where to report possible fraudulent email to Comcast.

I can't find anywhere on the comcast site to report email fraud or suspected email fraud.  It looks like I have an email from comcast billing center requesting that I update my account information, but when I cut and paste the url into a browser, Norton detects it as a fraudulent site. I'd like to report it to comcast, but they have done their best to make that very difficult or impossible.  Does anyone know where I can send this?  Has anyone else received a similar email? 

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Re: Where to report possible fraudulent email to Comcast.

If you could send me a PM with a screen shot of the email in question, I can get that forwarded up to our security team for you.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Visitor

I don't know how to do this.  I can't attach anything to this email.  I have a screen shot, but where do I attach it?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi RoseMaryLee:

Here is the info to report the email you recieved:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Support/Submitting-Reports

In regards to ComcastNick's request for a PM here is info on that:

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope screenshot.108.jpg

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM. screenshot.107.jpg

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
gikuno1

I received this message today it is from

"Comcast" <Comcast@message.com>

this is the message:

Comcast support,
We inform you that your account has been selected to be upgraded. The upgrade provides security for your account. For your account privacy login an upgrade your account. Account upgrade link :
http;//comcast.net/accounts/react.php
We are trully sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Is this legitmate?

gikuno1@comcast.net

Visitor

I fowarded a posible fake account verification email from comcast to the link you have provided and it came back "undelverable" what now? 

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

gikuno1 wrote:

I received this message today it is from

"Comcast" <Comcast@message.com>

this is the message:

Comcast support,
We inform you that your account has been selected to be upgraded. The upgrade provides security for your account. For your account privacy login an upgrade your account. Account upgrade link :
http;//comcast.net/accounts/react.php
We are trully sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Is this legitmate?

gikuno1@comcast.net

No, it's a phishing email. Copy the headers and the body of the email and send to abuse@comcast.net.

Then delete it from your system.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Painintherump wrote:

I fowarded a posible fake account verification email from comcast to the link you have provided and it came back "undelverable" what now? 

The correct address for reporting phishing is abuse@comcast.net.

Copy the headers and the body of the email into a new email and send to the above address. Forwarding only sends the body of the phishing email, but not the headers.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

New Visitor

Forward fraudelent emails to abuse@comcast.net

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Tattooed_Mom wrote:

Forward fraudelent emails to abuse@comcast.net

That is incorrect. You should NEVER use a simple forward to send the messages to Comcast.

Reason: Comcast needs to see the headers of the fraudulent email. If you forward the headers of that mail will be lost. The only headers they will see are the ones saying YOU sent the mail to Comcast.

LoPhatPhuud also mentioned WHY you need to copy/paste the message and the headers in his post in this thread.

Here is the proper procedure for reporting:

1) Copy the email, including headers, and paste it into a new email.

2) Add the words "phishing email" in the subject so that it can be easily identified by our Customer Security Assurance team.

3) Send to abuse@comcast.net for further investigation. (DO NOT FORWARD)

IF YOU USE AN EMAIL CLIENT, you can forward the message as an attachment. This can generally be done by opening the mail, clicking a drop down arrow next to Forward and choosing As Attachment.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor

Thank you for clearing that up for me! :smileyhappy:

Have a great day!  Jill

Regular Visitor

I just got off the phone with comcast, they said to just foward the email, said that will work just fine.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

donald_11203 wrote:

I just got off the phone with comcast, they said to just foward the email, said that will work just fine.

They were wrong. If you simply forward the mail the headers will not be included. How will they know where it came from if the info contained in the header of the ORIGINAL mail  isn't there?

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
ionu

why no link on customer central page?

why have you made it so difficult to contact you?

Contributor

To include header info when you open the email on the Comcast site right click on the part that has the email address in it and it will show a option for source

click it that will open a small window copy and and paste to them that is what has the header info in it

I got one today too 

Contributor

That is why I'm here, I just received what sounds like the same email.

ljb
Email Expert
madylarian

Email I received

This post was moved to a nonpublic forum because it contained a link to a phishing site. In the future, please be sure to remove any such links before copying phishing posts just to be on the safe side.

New Visitor

I just posted the same comment. The grammar was wrong and when I logged in to my account, nothing was wrong.
Networking Expert
kevj

Message moved as it contains active link to a phishing site. PLEASE READ previous posts before you post these links here.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Removed for personal information and phishing link. See new Thread addressed to you.

New Visitor

Dear Comcast customer,

During our monthly account maintenance and verification procedures, our billing and account management department was unable to authorize your current payment method information.

This might be due to one or more of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal registered user information ( i.e. change of address, phone number, credit card )
2. Submitting invalid information during the initial registration or upgrade process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your Comcast billing information due to an internal error within our billing processors.

Please use the following link and update your billing information :

http://customer.comcast.net.customerid.com35.ergerergf.boldlygoingnowhere.org/pay/index.php?forceAut...

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing  the changes you have made. 

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We look
forward to continuing to serve you.

E-mail ID: 5445097
Online Session PID: 082530015435975
Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Care

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

meenak, As of now the link is not active. For future reference do not post links found in these types of mail.

The mail you received mentions a new twist for scamming. Thank you for posting it. I will add it to this sticky post later today.

Please read this Comcast Email Phish or Legit? How to Tell (and rules for posting about your mail) clickable link.

It contains very useful information about mail that purports to be from Comcast.

By the time you get through reading it YOU will be an expert on HOW to know that the mail is a phishing attempt.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

Comcast will never ask for your personal account information by email. If in doubt always check your My Account. 99% of the time I find the fraudulent email has wrong dates of the so called transactions. Also a reasonable verification of good email from Comcast is the Comcast logo on the email. Although I have gotten one with that and it turned out to be fraudulent too.

New Visitor
ksboncape

I received an email from qzzpfm@comcast.net under the heading of Chase asking me to follow a link and update my personal information.

<Chase logo here>

Dear Customer:
For security reasons, We earnestly ask you to visit your personal e-mail account Upgrade link which will only remain valid for 72hours and start the proce dure of conf irmation of customers data on our new database records. Once you have completed the process, we will send you an email notifying you that your online service profile is up to date. As to enable you access your account online without running into any future problems.
Click here to get started

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

ksboncape wrote:

I received an email from qzzpfm@comcast.net under the heading of Chase asking me to follow a link and update my personal information.

<Chase logo here>

Dear Customer:
For security reasons, We earnestly ask you to visit your personal e-mail account Upgrade link which will only remain valid for 72hours and start the proce dure of conf irmation of customers data on our new database records. Once you have completed the process, we will send you an email notifying you that your online service profile is up to date. As to enable you access your account online without running into any future problems.
Click here to get started

Please do not post live links to suspected phishing pages in these forums. In this instance the offending page has been removed so no harm was done.

Report all phishing attempts to abuse@comcast.net. Be sure to copy and paste both the headers and the body of the phishing email. Forwarding will not work since it removes the headers.

Mark Twain

Networking Expert
kevj

Message moved as it contains active link to a phishing site. PLEASE READ previous posts before you post these links here.

New Visitor
Smackieco

Where/how do I send a PM?
New Visitor
Davidious

This is the scam I was sent.

Good Day,
This is a personal email directed to you and I request that it be treated as such. I must solicit your Confidentiality and assure you that I am contacting you in good faith and this proposal will be of mutual benefit. I am Bonelli E. Pappalardo QC, a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney/sole executor to the late Mr.Mark Hurst hereinafter referred to as my client who worked as an independent oil magnate in my country, who died in a car crash with his immediate family in East London on the 5Th of November 2007.

My late client a formal Sub-Comptroller working with Chevron Texaco Oil here in the United Kingdom and had Left behind a deposit of Nine Million Eight Hundred Thousand British Pounds Sterling only with a bank. After the death of my client, the finance company contacted me, as his attorney to provide his Next of kin who should inherit his fortune this according to them is their policy in sure circumstances.

I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have the same last name giving you the advantage so that the proceeds of this account can be paid to you and then both of us can share the money, 30% to me and 60% to you. I know there might be other persons out there with the same surname as my last client, but after a little check my instinct tells me to contact you. Can I trust you on this?

Like I said, I require only a solemn confidentiality on this. Please get in touch with me by my alternative email bonelli.pappalardo14@gmail.com for better confidentiality and send to me your telephone and fax numbers to enable us discuss further on this transaction. My contact number is +44 70-359-25594. If this proposal is acceptable by you, do not take undue advantage of the trust I have bestowed in you, Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Bonelli E. Pappalardo QC.
30 Cannon Street
London EC4M 6XH
United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 70-359-25594
Cell:+44-750-975-0414
Fax: +44 7005-931-278 .
N.B: When calling you dial your country calling code which I think is 011 and my number +44 70-359-25594). That is (011-44 70-359-25594). You can also confirm the code from your service provider.

Thank You 

David Hurst

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

post by csuwinski removed and sent to a secure area out of public view because it violates forum posting rules.

Forum Guidelines state (clickable link) which everyone should read BEFORE making a first post

Please Don't

Post personal information in the forums

Please do your best to keep your identity and personal information safe. This includes:

Your full name
Your telephone number
Your Physical/Mailing Address
Email addresses
Credit Card numbers
Account numbers
Other personally identifiable information

This is also posted on the main forum page

Please do not post any personal information in your posts on the public forums. Post containing personal information are removed to a secured area.