Visitor
Jerry10030

Windows 7 64 bit and Norton Security Suite

Norton Security Suite does not seem completely compatible with Windows 7 64 bit any more.  Even though Norton seems to be working fine, Action Center says Anti-virus  is turned off.  I have enlisted help from Norton several times but they say I am running another anti-virus or anti-spyware.  I am not.  They have connected to my computer over the internet several times, said it was fixed.  The next day the error message in Action Center was back.  They suggest running  Norton removal software and re-installing.  I have done that several times. Problem does not go away.  The program worked fine until about 2 weeks ago.  I understand it may be a Windows 7 problem, but there is no way I can fix that.  All tests say Windows 7 is working perfectly.  This either started with a  Norton update, or a Windows update.  I will soon be switching away from Norton.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: Windows 7 64 bit and Norton Security Suite

This is  long shot, but you can try this:

Sometimes, unregistering and re-registering WMIUTILS.DLL file will fix this issue.

1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL

3. Click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

6. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL

7. Click OK.

8. Restart the computer.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Norton Expert
JonMcB_Norton

Norton Security Suite is compatible and supported on Windows 7 64 bit, and I have it installed on several machines that are not seeing the issue you are reporting.  This would suggest it is something with your system or configuration that is causing your issue.  In addition to the instructions provided above, can you provide more detail about your system, applications, and what changed 2 weeks ago?

Visitor
Jerry10030

So far unregistering and re-registering WMIUTILS.DLL file has solved the problem.  I will wait a few days to be sure.  Thanks for the information.

New Visitor
LaurieAPMarsh

I have a new Windows 64-bit laptop and I can install Norton Security Suite just fine but as soon as it does a live update, it stops working.  I tried the regsvr32 of the dll but that didn't fix the problem.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

LaurieAPMarsh wrote:

I have a new Windows 64-bit laptop and I can install Norton Security Suite just fine but as soon as it does a live update, it stops working.  I tried the regsvr32 of the dll but that didn't fix the problem.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Describe what you mean by it stops working?  Freezes or what?

Have you installed NSS as a stand alone or have you installed the entire Constant Guard Security Suite?

Were there any trial security programs installed on your laptop?  If so did you remove them prior to installing NSS? 

Please post back with your answers.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
LaurieAPMarsh

It stops and the OS says that it is disabled.  When you click on it, nothing comes up. 

The laptop came with Norton but I wanted to use the free version we get from Comcast.  So, the original was uninstalled.  I then installed Constant Guard and from there installed Norton.  It installed fine and appears to be working.  Then I did a Live Update within Norton which causes a reboot.  Upon reboot, the OS says it is disabled and when I try to open Norton, nothing comes up.  So, I reinstalled Norton - same problem.  I then uninstalled Norton and then reinstalled - same thing after Live Update.  I uninstalled Constant Guard and then reinstalled just Norton - same problem. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Thanks for the info.

I will send you to some instructions that I'd like you to follow.  I know you have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times already, however there is a removal tool that needs to be run - it will get rid of any Norton leftovers from the past installs.

Please follow these instructions:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

You can ignore the ID Safe info as you haven't gotten that far with your NSS nstall yet.

When you get to the point of downloading a fresh copy of NSS, you will see a popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite, click on the No Thanks - this will reveal a Get it Now button which when clicked will begin the download of NSS.

Please let us know if things improved any.

If not tell us how you are trying to open Norton after the failure?  Desktop shortcut, tray or sidebar icon, or thru Start All Programs?

Visitor

Hello, just wondering if any issue has been identified yet concerning Windows 7 64-bit and Norton Security Suite (NSS) provided by Comcast?  We have a Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, and a new Windows 7 64-bit sytem on our home network.  Comcast's NSS work fine on the two 32-bit systems.

The Norton trial version that came on it worked fine for 30 days.  When that time was up, it was uninstalled, the removal tool used, and Comcast's NSS installed.  It worked fine until the first Live Update was run.  Once that first Live Update happens, NSS will not startup when the system boots.  Any attempt to start it via desktop icon, QuikLaunch, or the Start Menu will not work.  We've tried every suggestion in this thread, including the unregistering/registering of the .dll file,  and nothing has worked for us.  We've seen many people describe two common variables - a Windows 7 64-bit OS and NSS ceasing to function following a Live Update.  We've also seen some replies saying that NSS is running fine on their Win 7 64-bit system, so this is really quite maddening.

Anyway, just wanted to get in on this thread so we can see if someone posts a solution.  Thank you kindly!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Karen_E wrote:

Hello, just wondering if any issue has been identified yet concerning Windows 7 64-bit and Norton Security Suite (NSS) provided by Comcast?  We have a Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, and a new Windows 7 64-bit sytem on our home network.  Comcast's NSS work fine on the two 32-bit systems.

The Norton trial version that came on it worked fine for 30 days.  When that time was up, it was uninstalled, the removal tool used, and Comcast's NSS installed.  It worked fine until the first Live Update was run.  Once that first Live Update happens, NSS will not startup when the system boots.  Any attempt to start it via desktop icon, QuikLaunch, or the Start Menu will not work.  We've tried every suggestion in this thread, including the unregistering/registering of the .dll file,  and nothing has worked for us.  We've seen many people describe two common variables - a Windows 7 64-bit OS and NSS ceasing to function following a Live Update.  We've also seen some replies saying that NSS is running fine on their Win 7 64-bit system, so this is really quite maddening.

Anyway, just wanted to get in on this thread so we can see if someone posts a solution.  Thank you kindly!

Hi Karen_E,

Thank you for all the info on your situation.  I would like to ask some questons about your "new 64 bit Win 7 system".  Please go into Programs and Features and see if there are any entires simialr to the following: Constant Guard Protection Suite, Guided ID, ID Vault, Comcast(Xfinity)Toolbar, or CA -Realtime Protection.  If any are listed please uninstall them. Reboot after the uninstalls (if you do any)

Take one last look in Programs & Features and see if Norton Security Suite is listed or if perhaps something like Norton 360 or Norton Internet Security 2011 or 2012.

I'll wait for your answers, but I will tell you, I am currently running Norton Security Suite from Comcast on a 64 bit Windows 7 system with no problems for at least the last year.

New Visitor
WhonT

Had the exact problem, solved by following the directions to unregister and re-register WMIUTILS.DLL file.

Tom

New Visitor
HBadger

I had this problem the last few days. NSS was working fine for a few months and then suddenly it shows no indiction of it running...although the services show that it is running. I could not even launch the NSS program from the desktop icon. Tried the registry uninstall/re-install, full unistall/re-install of NSS, they did not work.

The solution that worked for me was uninstalling GuardedID, which is some keylogger protection software. After uninstalling it, NSS came back and works fine. I think this is part of Constant Guard, which may the next thing to get uninstalled if this problem re-appears.

I hope this helps.

Visitor

Of the programs you mentioned, I had GuardedID and Constant Guard installed.  I uninstalled both rebooting between each uninstall.  I then uninstalled Norton Security Suite and ran the removal tool again.  Next I reinstalled Norton while passing on the Constant Guard.  It worked fine but would not update its definitions.  So after about 36 hours, I forced a definition update by running Live Update.  Now the issue has returned.  Norton Security Suite will not load and run.  This Windows 7 64-bit system is running on a new Lenovo laptop.  I even unregistered/registered the aforementioned .dll file but still no luck.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Karne_E,

Sorry you are still having problems with LU - could you please check and make sure the System Time and Date are correct?

Visitor

Yes, system time and date are correct.

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

NSS is fine on Win7x64.  The only issue is with 64-bit Office: Norton won't integrate with it (as many Office add-ons won't, hence Microsoft advising against installing 64-bit Office when you try to install it).

Do you have any errors in Windows Event Viewer?

Can you provide a list of running processes?  (HiJackThis does this)

Contributor
billpatruss

I have the same problem as you Karen.  I have tried all the suggestions here, more than once and a call to Norton only served to screw up my machine more as they deleted some registry entries that resulted in other programs not running.  In all of my other machines with 32 bit op sys norton runs great.  I hate to go with another product but I cannot leave my system open.  I may try kaspersky.  Hpefully someone can find a solution. 

Contributor
billpatruss

You quote is great!!!!! Hope you don't mind if I pass it along.  Bill  -   USASA Vietnam vet.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

billpatruss wrote:

You quote is great!!!!! Hope you don't mind if I pass it along.  Bill  -   USASA Vietnam vet.

Bill, thanks for your service & the security!  :smileywink: I worked in buidlings without windows most of my career also.  Feel free to use the quote. 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ Karen_E and Bill,

If you turn up empty handed with what Rolo42 suggests, and a total removal and cleanup with the NRT followed y a fresh install does not clear up your problem  I am at a lose.

Just to verify - do you have any other security programs installed and running?  Double check Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are turned off (being controlled by Norton).  Other programs such as MBAM Pro, SAS Pro, SpyBot S & D all have real time scanning and could cause a conflict.  Also double check all of CGPS is removed.  Do you have a CA Real time component in your Program& Feature's list? 

If in d9oubt about any prgrams - please ask.

Contributor
billpatruss

I was on the phone with norton for the 3rd time again today (product support in India).  They finally sent me to higher level support but, hung on hold for some time and then a person came on and said they were busy and could they call back at a covenient time.  I said OK how about 3PM.  They agreed and said an engineer would call me than but here it is 4:30 and no call.  I am not very happy with norton.  Oh, and for the second time they screwed up my fingerprint software.  NOT HAPPY!!!!!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

billpatruss wrote:

I was on the phone with norton for the 3rd time again today (product support in India).  They finally sent me to higher level support but, hung on hold for some time and then a person came on and said they were busy and could they call back at a covenient time.  I said OK how about 3PM.  They agreed and said an engineer would call me than but here it is 4:30 and no call.  I am not very happy with norton.  Oh, and for the second time they screwed up my fingerprint software.  NOT HAPPY!!!!!

Bill, thanks for the update, please keep us updated.  I appreciate your patience.  I'm still doing some research over on the Norton side also.  I just r4ecently lost my contact and am trying to find a new one!  Sorry!

Bronze Star Contributor
Rolo42

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

I worked in buidlings without windows most of my career also. 

I'm one of those mole people too!

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

Just to verify - do you have any other security programs installed and running?  Double check Windows .

That was my intent with the process dump; "Trust, but verify."

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Rolo42 wrote:

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

I worked in buidlings without windows most of my career also. 

I'm one of those mole people too!

I loved it in England when I went to work in the dark, went home in the dark and never saw any daylight for months at a time - unless I left work for lunch!  HA!

Contributor
billpatruss

i did get a call at 3 PST from a guy by the name of Glenn from eugene oregon.  We worked on this for about 2 hours when I had to break off for dinner (or get the roses I bought thrown at me , LOL)  When I came back to the PC I followed up where Glenn and I left off.  As many PC problems go this one has disappeared, temporarily or permanently who knows?? but for now all is well.  I would suggest Glenn may be a good contact for you.. He seems very knowledgeable about the product. You can email me at billpatruss for his contact info if you would like it.

Contributor
billpatruss

I spent most of my career attached to the 101st airborne div.  i was staioned at Ft Campbell, KY and then in Bien wa, Vietnam as a cryptographer/radio operator.  When I left Vietnam I went to the Vietnam training center at Ft Devens, MA .  Unlike you 3 years was enough for me, LOL..  I have a nephew in the AF stationed in Missouri. He works of the stealth and loves it.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

billpatruss wrote:

i did get a call at 3 PST from a guy by the name of Glenn from eugene oregon.  We worked on this for about 2 hours when I had to break off for dinner (or get the roses I bought thrown at me , LOL)  When I came back to the PC I followed up where Glenn and I left off.  As many PC problems go this one has disappeared, temporarily or permanently who knows?? but for now all is well.  I would suggest Glenn may be a good contact for you.. He seems very knowledgeable about the product. You can email me at billpatruss for his contact info if you would like it.

Glad to hear all is working OK at present - anything special that was done to get it running?

Contributor
billpatruss

Unfortuately no.  So I am not sure this problem will not reappear but for now all is well.  Will update if there are any further developments

Visitor

I don't think Window 7 is the problem because I am running Vista 64 bit and I am having the exact same problems.

Visitor

I would like to thank everyone for the tips in trying to resolve our issue with Norton Security Suite (NSS); particularly @USAF_E-8_RET.  Though my issue hasn't been resolved, it's been helpful to communicate with knowledgable folk who really understand what we've been going through.  It's frustrating to see that some are running a 64-bit OS and NSS with no problems.  Based on the number of "views" these posts have received, it seems this issue is bigger than a few isolated incidents.  This seems to be a good time to try something else.  I have installed Windows Security Essentials and fired up Windows Defender.  Everything seems fine so far, and the combination seems to be consuming far less resources than a Symantec product.  I may do this with all the systems on my home network.  Thank you again for your time.

Contributor

Here's a different twist to this subject that I did not see addressed in this thread.  A crippled laptop is running Windows 7. It will boot, but slower than normal.  You can log in, but shortly after login, the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive.  A short time after that, the screen goes dark.  This problem began yesterday - after over a year with no problems.  There are no new software or hardware changes (excluding any "automatic updates" that may have occurred).

Luckily, safe mode and safe mode with networking continue to function normally.

Long story short - after un-installing Norton Security Suite - suddenly all is back to normal.

Now what?  Should I try and re-install Norton?  Has anyone else had this issue?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi AxeMan1,

I have to ask if you can better define "a crippled laptop"?

Make (brand) of laptop, anyother scurity programs installed?

By Log-in I guess you're referring to logging into Windows?

Have you ever had Constant Guard Protection Suite (or any of it's somponenets) insatlled?

Was Norton Security Suite installed by itself o rpart of CGPS?

Any addtional info will prove helpful in trying to track this down for you.

Contributor

Crippled laptop: Boot time is slower than normal.  You can log in to Windows 7, but shortly after login, the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive.  A short time after that, the screen goes dark.

DELL Inspiron 1545

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Norton Security Suite downloaded from Comcast (pre Constant Guard)

Safe mode and safe mode with networking work fine.

All software has been removed that is not part of the OS or attached devices - except for the "standard" software that the computer's owner recognizes and uses (MS Works, Turbo Tax, etc.).  Reboot - issue remains.

A virus scanner was downloaded from the Symantec website and a deep scan was run.  It took hours to complete and found nothing.

I wanted to go back to a restore point; turns out that system restore was never activated.

I ran the Startup Repair tool and it complained that "BHDrvx64 failed to load".  Very short research found this message in the same sentence with "Norton".  So I decided to un-install Norton Security Suite.  Re-boot - and now all is back to "normal".  Boot speed is back to normal.  Computer performance is normal.  Mouse and keyboard no longer become unresponsive.  No more black screens.

Except for the moment - there is no anti-virus software installed...

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

TYVM for the feedback and addtional information.

Just a few more questions, to figure out the best plan of attack for you.

Do you desire to attempt another innstall of Norton Security Suite?

If so:

I understand you have currently uninstalled NSS.  Did you remove it via Programs & Features?  If so did you select the option to save your settings?  

Have you been using ID Safe for logins/passwords and if so have you backed them up lately?

In order to get your system protected, there are a number of free AV programs available for your use.  I have heard good reports about Microsoft Security Essentials .  You may want to install it and see if the same situation occurs.  Before you decide if you want to try NSS again. 

We'll be waiting for your reposnse.

Contributor

I ran the norton un-install from Programs and Features, and I downloaded and ran the "norton removal tool" from their website.  At the moment, Norton is completely gone from this machine, and I did not backup/save any settings.

I hesitate to re-install Norton because of this thread and others that talk about Norton and Windows 7 issues.  I'm pretty confident that my problem began after a Windows and/or Norton update.

I was hoping that somebody knows of a fix for this problem - or is happy with another anti-virus solution.  I may try Microsfot Security Essentials...

Thanks.

Contributor

BTW - I re-ran the Startup Repair tool after removing Norton and it did not report any problems with bhdrvx64 (or anything else).

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Only other ting that caught my eye is your comment a few posts back:

"Norton Security Suite downloaded from Comcast (pre Constant Guard)"

No way of telling now (with NSS removed), but the lastest version of NSS is version 5.2.0.13. and the version you had, could have been an old one, althoughit should have not suddenly gone bad. 

The only other recent updates I recall were the Windows Updates dated Feb 14th.  As you said, others (including me) are running  Win 7 64 bit with NSS and have no problems. 

If you decide to attempt NSS again, I suggest you follow the following link as you have already removed NSS, ran the NRT and should be totally clear of Norton.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Split out in to its own new separate topic / thread here on this board as per request from user "NortonSupport" Click on the above link to follow it. Two year old thread now closed.